Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Back to looking at a 977L

DMiller ยท 2013-01-13 13:22

Ok, I have inspected a few 977L units, almost had one but luckily it got away before I dropped my dime on it and the new owner is dealing with bad rails/rollers. Questions: What would be a good price range for low to mid hours of use machines? I know of the final drive issues with metal filings but are there other problems just inherant due to age of these now coming into 30-40 years old? I still have the '77 ex-Navy unit in sights but how much grief will I endure with a unit operated in a salt water environment or will I at all? I know it may need rails as there are a number of locked pins but they could also release from extended use, won't know til I do drop a dime on it.

Replies24
  1. #1BCOWANWHEELS2013-01-13 16:22

    Salt water ???????? I wouldnt even consider it. Same with sand. Theres too many to choose from to consider a machine thats spent its life in a extremely harsh enviorment imo

  2. #2denver m farms2013-01-13 17:17

    I agree, would not consider it. And for price range they are to close to a early 963.

  3. #3ILLICEMAN2013-01-13 17:29

    I would think salt problems would be long gone.

  4. #4denver m farms2013-01-13 17:42

    If you don't mid saying where you are or either way i might know of some machines in you area.

  5. #5DMiller2013-01-13 19:52

    Farm is south of Hermann, lots of the lovely Honey Locust, deep rooted and thorns from stump to tip. Have spotted a few tractors to look at but the money is too high, been from St.Charles to Sedalia, Bowling Green to Lake Ozark and out to around Farmington looking, most are as or more shot than my Allis.

  6. #6denver m farms2013-01-13 20:12

    Another thing you may not want to say, but i want to help if i can, what is to high? Have you been to zimmerman tractor in versailles? And probably to late now but there is a nice 955l at cook tractor in clinton, but the auction is tomorrow. Another idea is erb equipment has alot of trade in's old and newer and sometimes they will make a deal just to get something sold, i have been to erb in fenton and that is where they have the most of all there locations.

  7. #7DMiller2013-01-14 19:13

    My hours leave me a bit limited as to shopping, most weekdays I work either a 12 hour day or night shift or am between them, most operations are not open on saturdays and I did go to Erb, too high on most units as they needed to recover trade moneys. I want to keep out of hydro units, too high on repair costs as spoken earlier, I did find out a steering/drive motor for a 755 is over $3000 reman and a bear to change(Zimmerman), I would prefer older less electronic equipment as I can muster knuckle dragger tools but not so much electronic diagnostics, I gave that up when I gave up on heavy trucks 15 years ago. My budget is slim, I can go as high as $20,000 with a parial loan from a local bank or maybe higher slightly if financed thru a dealer, that is a stumbler for me as I need to be able to afford to repair what I get too, financed cost digs into that pocket. So I get locked into those units needing work or rough or they stay just out of reach for cost. I considered contracting out the big work but even that gets out of hand quick and they may not do as I would have or as I asked so I would have to remediate anyway, been down that road. Usually by the time I find a jewel in the rough it is gone before I can even look at it, that is how I ended up with the 7G, needed something quick(road work), could only find a few really torn up units and this one had potential at a low low price. Now I have a well worn, somewhat repaired and usable but no daily worker machine that I cannot get rails for(new or used)and they are flat slick shot, 7.00 pitch. It has worked for a few years but has lost a lot of capability recently in that it will throw a rail if pushed hard or the trans slips if loaded hard. My own fault for not holding out for a later bigger Cat machine.

  8. #8BCOWANWHEELS2013-01-14 19:19

    Keep searching the net you,ll find something there a bunch of equipment for sale now because of our economy.

  9. #9DMiller2013-01-14 19:28

    I am hoping so. When I bought what I have the other less expensive choices were IH or Dresser, those two also used odd pitch rails and are hard to find parts for. I had been sticking to looking at Cats, when I got frustrated I started looking at Deeres, now I am sticking to Cat as I do not need more headaches than I already own. In that I mean hard to find parts, hard to get local parts and harder still to keep it moving as I find parts that are out of reasonable pricing. I see a lot of 963 and 963 B units, what is the cutoff year as to the start of the B series, what will I need to look into on those units as to hard fault failures or debt makers in the drivetrains? I am aware rails will start around $2500/side unless I go SALT, those at $3000/side, and either plus shoes/bolts/rollers.

  10. #10BCOWANWHEELS2013-01-14 20:33

    As the other fella mentioned what about a 955l. I have 2 of those close to me i,ve looked at, no there not as nice as a 943 per say but there half the cost and from what i,ve been told easy to work on and very dependable.

  11. #11BCOWANWHEELS2013-01-14 20:46

    HERES ONE FAIRLY CLOSE TO YOU CHECK IT OUT. http://www.machinerytrader.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=8914977

  12. #12DMiller2013-01-15 05:38

    Been looking to that one, they said they had another looker coming this week and I am stuck at work, it may be gone before I get there and if not it may not be worth buying, will know this weekend.

  13. #13JBGASH2013-01-15 06:57

    DMIller there is a decent looking 953 or 63 dont remember which, that has a new engine and other major repair done on Ebay right now. Before I would ever put that much into a machine with the engine in front I would buy a newer model - rear mounted engine type. I have had both type and prefer the rear engine, newer models any day.

  14. #14oldseabee2013-01-15 10:15

    Regarding the Navy unit, most of them belonged to the Seabees, we had one with a backhoe attachment and a 4in1 bucket strong machine but heavy, in my reserve unit based in Huntsville Al. not much salt there. Most Seabee units are operating on dry land on construction sites either at Navy bases or if deployed they are attached to the Marines. Unless you see a lot of deep corrosion a Navy unit shouldn't be a problem, they do get maintained on a scheduled basis.

  15. #15denver m farms2013-01-15 21:11

    If you want to, look up equipment exchange partners in ozark mo, I could give you the guys number but i don't think it's ok on here. He will have more or know of more than just what is on the site, and he has been in the business a long time and is also a good person. I think you can find something like a 943 cat or a 53 for what you can spend or less. Another thing is if you are concerned about repair cost i would probably rather have a 943 with a hydro trans than something like a 955 with a ps. And the rear engine machines are alot easier to work on if you do have to switch a engine or trans.

  16. #16oldirt2013-01-17 07:19

    that 55L in the machinery trader is your tractor. It has excellent rails etc. I can't tell how loose the bucket linkage is but this thing will rip any tree out. Had one, it is extremely dependable. sell the ripper off the back, you won't need it since the bucket already has teeth.

  17. #17BCOWANWHEELS2013-01-17 15:46

    If i buy the 955l i,ve been looking at i'd be interested in the ripper

  18. #18DMiller2013-01-26 17:39

    I managed to get to the 955 as the new owner was loading it up, typical day for me day late dollar short, rails were not so hot, they had welded square stock to the pads and the bushings had been turned recently. Engine was smoking pretty blue and the trans leaked like a sieve but the little guy that did buy it was happy. The seller had decided cash in hand was easier than waiting for my check to clear.

  19. #19BCOWANWHEELS2013-01-26 20:44

    What did it end up selling for

  20. #20DMiller2013-01-27 07:13

    Little guy bested me by $3000($18800) to assure his purchase, said it was still a bargain. I just don't see where all the cash comes from, I am a hard worker, I have a great compared to some income and I cannot afford to drop a load of cash in someone elses hand at the drop of a whim. This makes the fourth machine I have missed due to more money than I could have come up with in cash.

  21. #21OldandWorn2013-01-27 08:31

    Not such a good deal. That would be a good price for a ready to run machine.

  22. #22Dickjr.2013-01-27 12:41

    A lot of these guys have a "supplemental" income. Excavation is a way to wash out some change. It makes it hard on an honest man trying to pay with what they earn off of they're work. The turd probably made the 3 grand in half a day.

  23. #23BCOWANWHEELS2013-01-27 21:00

    Yea look at it this way 18800.00 plus 15 to 20k to get it top dependable running order you well into the newer machine price range for a 943,953 even a 963. The 955l i looked at needed alot of repairs, he had no engine o/h records (which tells me it wasnt o/h'ed) i think 7k would buy it but i,am going 963 after much deliberation and thought. With machiines you get what you pay for or "less" fme

  24. #24mopar652013-01-28 19:05

    Hey Dmiller i dont know nif this is what you are looking for but i found this in the add tracker today. but it was dated 1, 24 ,13 ok here it is. 955L 85J 10,390 w/13 ex-trac system. 150 hours on rebuilt motor and torque convertor,new turbo, 95% on new berko sealed tracks and Rollers, $25,000 (573)291-8844 vo3-04 like i said i dont know if this is something you are interested in not but i thought i would post it for you. Mopar65