WTH, call a couple of dealers to see what interchanges for the old style A4900 Eaton Fuller shift knob and get treated like I am looking for a Left Handed Smoke Shifter IE No Clue. Parts people have NO CLUE what a Eaton Fuller 13 speed control knob is, need the Truck s/n to ID, ***!!!! Was thinking had changed to the 6913 but they would waffle for minutes and just lock up. BTW Frtlnr Pete KW and Volvo all Same!!!
Kids who never cracked a parts catalog. I'm surprised they didn't ask if it had air conditioning, lol.
"Is it an automatic or manual trans?"
Try this .. https://www.raneystruckparts.com/replacement-eaton-fuller-air-shift-knob-a-6913-a-4900/
Welcome to my world trying to decipher older farm trucks. Had a '75 KW in the shop last fall, nice old truck. Had a set of IH tandems, a BC II Cummins built in '84, and a 12513 replace the original 5x4 Fullers. Great truck, minus being a PITA to get parts for. It now has a "custom linesetting ticket" that I wrote up after identifying the Mutt components.
I was surprised to find the old ones (reproduction anyway) on ebay. Who knew? https://www.ebay.com/sch/?_nkw=9513 12513
I am keeping that one in mind. I must be getting old... I completely forgot about the days of the old 12513's with separate Hi-Lo Valves on the stick and Splitter direct and over on the knob. And I drove a bunch of them!
Yes, the hi-lo hose clamped on there like it was an afterthought. It sort of jogged my memory also, the "old style" 13 speed which I have not seen in over 20 years and pretty much forgot about. Where you have low 1-2-3 and then go back into low "int" on the knob in that picture and it is pretty much like a 10 speed after that. What was the model number on that transmission if anybody remembers? Paging Mr. Truck Shop.... I think it was pretty low torque. Was there another 13 speed knob not shown there that had low-ud-direct for the modern style splitter ones that were not double over?
Was that that miserable little 613 Roadranger? had to drive a few of them in Crane Carrier chassis under a few drill rigs. With the mystery shift pattern and the goofy sequence of shifts, I did a lot of grinding at first.
The one I remember was in a great big water truck, but I don't know what engine it had, but it was diesel. It might have been some kind of 855 or Detroit, but I think it was a 4 cycle whatever it was. Maybe one of those wimpy V8s they had back in those days. Hard to imagine 600 lb-ft moving 56,000 plus lbs around, I'm sure it is made into razor blades now.
Most of those drill rigs were around 60,000 lbs. but had little engines... 3208's, 6V-53's,and one had a 555 Cummins. I also remember the 613 behind 427 Chevies and a few Big Ford gassers like the 477 and 534.
I gave up talking to the idiots, called a IH dealer shop I had used for years OLD parts man said come on by and pick it up $57 and change, A6913 REPLACEMENT knob assembly, knew him twenty three years ago he stated the morons working around him today cannot find a Budd Lug nut without a S/N.
Way off the topic of heavy equipment but had similar problem the other day with a Harley Sportster. Real tricky technical project, tubeless tire valve stem leaking where it goes through the rim. Stop by the "stealer" and tell parts guy I need a valve stem for a `92 Sportster. He asked if it was metal or rubber, I said metal. He goes in the back room and comes back with a shiny chrome valve stem in a plastic bag and I pay for it and head home. Break the bead down with wheel still on the bike and remove the old valve stem and seals and clean off a little corrosion. Notice that the new valve stem is a little shorter and also a bit loose in the rim hole but snug up the nut and then find out it is too short to let tire chuck go on far enough to work. Pull out my part book and have a look, sure enough the part number in book is different from what the guy sold me. Figured guess he grabbed the wrong one by mistake so I called with the correct number. Well that's not good news they tell me the valve stem part number is obsolete! ***! How can they make a basic part like a valve stem obsolete? How many million bikes did they sell that used that same valve stem? The only solution they could offer was check the aftermarket. At least they didn't give me a problem returning the part for a refund. Solution to problem was easy, pull bin box off shelf in garage and dig through the used tire hardware parts and find a valve stem that I probably replaced ten years ago just as a routine thing while changing a tire, inspect rubber seal and it looked perfect and that one actually fit the hole in rim right. Seems someone had replaced this valve stem in the bike's past and used what ever they could find at the time. This making things obsolete I see as being a major problem in the future with all the electronic devices on equipment. At least for those who can not afford to own a new machine and just want something like a D6C or 951C to do little odd jobs cleaning out a pond on a farm. A few years from now take an other wise great working machine and have some rodent chew through a wire and short out an ECM now instead of splicing a few wires and getting back to work you are left searching for a ECM and someone with an old version of Cat ET on a lap top that still remembers where he put the cables to hook it up.
6613-deep under 123 then low range 12345. New parts kid from Mack stopped yesterday-I gave him a BW foot valve for a 60 mack and sent him away away looking for it. Truck Shop
Maybe his grandpa will help him figure out what it is? Too bad you are not going to be keeping the truck original with something like a Quadruplex transmission would love to see what he would do if you told them you needed a clutch brake for a TRQ 7220 with a push type clutch!
Was the deep under to low range shift synchronized like a regular 9- or 10-speed or did you have to match it yourself somehow? What was the largest engine these could be used with?
The range shift is just like a range shift in a 9 speed, but its got to get down pretty slow in road speed, before it will drop into low. I have two cranes with 613's. Drove one today. 6-71 and knocking on 80,000 lbs. Its actually a really nice transmission- in that the gears down low are much closer together than a newer (9513, etc.) 13 speed. Nothing wrong with a 613, or 6613, they just can't handle a ton of torque. 600ft.lbs or so I actually shift my 35 ton 613 a little different than the "shift" pattern. I'll actually use all 5 gears down in the low range, then make the range shift into like 3rd of direct- kind of like you can shift a newer 15 speed. Otherwise with my 6.17 rears, I'm barely going fast enough in 3rd low to have time to make the range shift to 1st of direct, if its uphill up at all. With the torque monster that 6-71 is, you have to pay attention driving it- there's no lugging or powering through a wrong gear choice.
I trust you got good money for those components, Those rears looked pretty decent for their age.
That's about normal for a 426 cubic inch Detroit yanking around 80,000 pounds In the flat lands of Branson , Missouri .
At one time I ran a dump and pup with a N/A 6-71 and a 5x4 trans @ almost 80K, it was not fast, but got there. But man I can stir cake batter for the other half now with a vengeance.
I generally just drop it in the gear …. Set back & enjoy the ride to the job . Check out the scenery on the hills & adjust the radio dial .
I got paid by the load with that one, those sticks looked like the rotors on a Chinhook helicopter. Truck was cheap though.
There is just nothing more like churning butter or rowing a long boat than a two stick five and four with a N/A 1160 Cat in a 1968 Ford dump truck grossing 80K.
Or maybe the same setup with a 549 IH or a 534 Ford!! Been there in old farm trucks dragging OLD trailers from the fields taking harvest to the elevators, load them til they start to spill over and then head out, SLOWLY! Shift those sticks back and forth for what seemed like WEEKS for one load!!
Stopped to retrieve the shift control, damn if it wasn't boxed wrong, opened it up and someone stuck a Hi/Lo single control in the box, will have the correct one early next week, can live with a little air leakage in OD til then. Old parts guy was ANGRY!! as to that wrong unit in the box, had THREE boxed wrong All A6913.
Standard rigs here had an IH 304 or 345 gasser. Single axle with a cheater, 4 or 5 speed with a 2 speed axle. Juice brakes. They'd load them up to about 45,000 lbs and finally hit 45 mph about 500 feet from the barge terminal. The crazy ones would also hitch up a gravity wagon out back. I doubt they got out of 2nd gear. My dad got his start patching those old trucks back together. They'd leave them in the shed all 10.5 months a year. Every fall they'd jump in and fire them up. They'd run till the carb filled up with crud from the rusty fuel tank and the brake pedal would go right to the floor. They'd race them over to dad's shop using the hand brake. He'd fix the brake lines and rebuild the carbs. Chase a few mice out of the air filter and send them on their way.
Try the old Orscheln Brake Air brake no parking chamber IHCs or GMCs with the massive Gas burners, cooking off 2mpg if you cold coax it out of them, frozen brake shoes on anchor pins, exploded drums as they got REALLY hot and the Kiss your Butt goodbye Low Air drop down Flags, WORTHLESS! Worked on many old gassers and small diesels with air over or Hydrovac booster brakes, the old cast Wagner shoes were A MESS!! Buddy had a White WC with a Mustang gas engine a old farm neighbor to the cousins had a B61 GAS Mack, ALWAYS working carbs on those two, dry out, leak, vacuum leak, nasty.
I remember an old boy with an old Chevy gasser. The juice brakes had a lock switch that was supposed to be a parking brake. So, you step on the brakes pedal and pull the little switch and that locked the brakes for your parking brake. That would hold for about 5 minutes. He'd come out in the morning and find the truck in the neighbor's back 40.
Yep, absolutely never trust a "Mico" brake lock on a truck with hydraulic brakes. I saw a Chevy tandem go swimming in a lake once. Mico brake lock.
I actually put a mico type brake lock on my dodge 1 ton. Its a 12v one, but it works the same way. The dodge has those little bitty drum park brakes inside the rears, and I could never get them to hold. I never leave it on overnight, but at least I can stop at the shop gate and leave the truck running while I lock the gate.
My Super Duty Ford has those SAME size tiny parking brakes, only other option is leaving a manual trans in gear making certain the auto is holding in park or doing as the utilities and fire departments do blocking wheels.