Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Backhoe atachment for skid steer

wilddanz71 ยท 2009-11-01 18:58

I am thinking of looking for a used backhoe atachment for my jcb190 skid steer. I think I could use any brand aslong as it has the quick tach system. What do you guys think of these backhoe atachments? are they a waste of money or do they come in handy for Real small jobs. I have a full size excavator for the biggerstuff, but I sold my backhoe and am kind of missing some thing more portabe with rubber tires to take on small jobs. any sugestions on what and were to look for aswell as a good price for a used atachment. DAN:usa

Replies41
  1. #1HLNTOIZ2009-11-01 19:16

    Buy a used Mini Excavator now-a-days people are dumping them cheep. I have used the backhoes on SS's and they are a pain in the Arse. It is worth a few extra $$ JMO

  2. #2wilddanz712009-11-01 19:26

    I hear ya. I just cant spend the extra$$ right now. I usualy rent a mini X for small jobs and love them, just like the idea of utilizing the skid steer as much as I can.

  3. #3Steve Frazier2009-11-01 20:26

    I've got a Bradco 611 for my Cat and it has every bit as much power as my older Deere 410 TLB did. There is a bit of inconvenience in moving the machine while digging a trench, but for the work I do a mini ex would require me to make 2 trips moving equipment. I load my Harley rake, pallet forks, 4 way bucket and backhoe all on the dumptruck and equipment trailer and move it all in one trip to start working as soon as I unload. No need to make a second trip to move a second machine.

  4. #4wilddanz712009-11-01 20:34

    That is exactly what I was thinking of. Taking one machine to do the job in one trip. So are you happy with the Bradco 611? I understand that moving the machine back mite be a pain in the ***, But if im going a long trench then I will have my old man sit in the machine and move me back instead of waching me dig!

  5. #5HLNTOIZ2009-11-01 20:43

    I find myself using the Excavator more than the SS. Making a second trip with the SS is way easier than not being able to maneuver and positioning the machine around during the digging process. After having a L48 to dig with for 5 years it is just sooooooo much easier with the mini ex.

  6. #6Steve Frazier2009-11-01 21:42

    Matt, it will all depend on the type of work being done. I've yet to come up on a job I couldn't tackle with my combo, and I'll agree there have been times that a mini ex would have been a better machine. If straight excavation is the majority of your work, a mini ex would be the way to go, but how are you going to run a Harley Rake with the mini ex, or off load pallets of materials, not to mention moving bulk materials around the site efficiently? Ideally two machines would be optimum, but the expense of both the purchase and transportation of two machines for smaller jobs would be cost prohibitive. Dan, I've been very pleased with the performance of my Bradco. I had a 1981 J/D 410 and this hoe will dig just as well as the 410 did. It was the model my Cat dealer recommended prior to Cat offering their own skid backhoe and the construction of the hoe is very comparable to TLB units. I've got mine with a 2 stick control set to J/D pattern and I've had absolutely no trouble with it other than a faulty hose replaced under warranty. The fitting wasn't assembled correctly and it blew off.

  7. #7HLNTOIZ2009-11-01 22:20

    I guess you use what you have. What does that digger attachement cost anyway?

  8. #8wilddanz712009-11-04 20:05

    What do you guys think of this deal?? looks good to me!! http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/grd/1411346710.html

  9. #9Steve Frazier2009-11-04 20:55

    That's a great deal! You'll need the tractor side mount though in addition. That shouldn't be more than $500

  10. #10wilddanz712009-11-05 06:45

    What do you mean by "tractor side mount" is that a bracket that holds it to the machine not just the quicktach. Can it be used without this? What do these hoes sell for new, arnt they around 9K!!!

  11. #11Steve Frazier2009-11-05 22:42

    From the picture it looks like some pieces are missing, unless Bobcat has a unique mounting method. there should be a quicktatch plate plus some upper arms that attach to the front of the machine by cam locks. And no, I wouldn't operate without them.

  12. #12willie592009-11-05 23:00

    Hey Steve, the Bradco doesn't have a coupler plate. The coupler mounting is part of the main frame of the unit, directly below where your feet rest, you just can't see it in the pics. These units are pretty snug against the front of the machine when you couple them up. You can see the side arms in the pics, just not real clear. It will require the brackets to connect side arms to machine. I don't know if they come from Bobcat or if you have to get them from Bradco, but I agree with you, you don't operate the unit without them.

  13. #13Steve Frazier2009-11-05 23:08

    OK, Bobcat is different than other brand hookups I've seen. I've seen Bradco to Cat and NewHolland, they both have quicktatch plates plus an upper bracket with cam locks.

  14. #14willie592009-11-05 23:13

    LoL...yeah, we had a Bradco on a Bobcat not long ago. They're pretty snug when you drive the machine into them and couple them. Not much room to get in there and set the coupler lock levers. :tong But it seemed to me that the Bradco was a sturdy unit the way they were built. I have no idea what they sell for, but that seems like a good price to me. And the unit in the pics looks like it's in good shape and not been to Hades and back.

  15. #15HLNTOIZ2009-11-06 10:42

    Looks like a clean unit to me.

  16. #16wilddanz712009-11-06 18:52

    What is the difference between the Bradco 511 and the 611? It seems that they both have the same diging depth.

  17. #17ScottSeptic2009-11-07 19:48

    I have a JCB 190T that I have a Bradco 609 backhoe attachment for. I just bought a mini exc this summer so I no longer use it but before the mini exc I did a ton of work with it. I digs about 10 ft with an 18 inch bucket I dunno what the difference is between it and a 611 tho.

  18. #18TriHonu2009-11-07 22:26

    I regret to tell you the mount will be significantly more than that if the mount on the hoe is not the correct one for your loader model. Bradco makes mounts for a lot of loaders. When I bought my 609 it had a Case 1845 mount. I contacted Bradco and was quoted about $1200.00 for both the backhoe side and the loader side mounts for my Bobcat 763. Instead, I bought $50 worth of steel and made my own loader side mounts and modified the Case mount that was on the hoe. The 600 series is the heavy duty versions of the 500 series. They have very similar specs for reach and dig depth. The 600 series is built stronger and is heavier. They also have larger hydraulic cylinders and produce more breakout force. Both I and my next door neighbor have 609's. They are well built and strong performers. :thumbsup

  19. #19wilddanz712009-11-08 19:35

    So I guess you were pretty pleased with it?? I am sure the mini ex is alot better, but you cant always have every thing. Do you still own it? Want to sell it? I am only about an hour from you

  20. #20ScottSeptic2009-11-08 20:04

    I was very pleased with it and I do still own it. I am thinking of selling it, if its something your really interested in I would be more than happy to show it to you or let you try it out. If you wanna check it out more let me know.

  21. #21td25c2009-11-08 20:40

    Hi Willdanz71.I use a skidloader & mounted backhoe for our smaller dirt jobs.Water lines ,foundations,demolition,field tile repair,I could go on & on,We love it! It's been a good earner over the years.I like skidloader backhoe combo because I can load it on the trailer with whatever attachments I may need for the job,skidloader & hoe,front bucket,pallet forks ,etc in one trip.The backhoe is a very handy addition to a skidloader.

  22. #22ScottSeptic2009-11-10 21:11

    I took a few pictures of my Bradco today and one of the side mount in case you wanted to scope'em out.....As you can see I haven't used it in a while.

  23. #23toomacho2009-11-11 06:32

    Nice attachment! I wish you were closer to GA.

  24. #24ScottSeptic2009-11-11 19:27

    Thanks its a handy lil' piece.

  25. #25wilddanz712009-11-11 19:46

    that looks like a good unit, plus its off a JCB!! thanks for the pics

  26. #26gimbells2009-11-11 20:12

    hi all, I'm a new member from Australia, landscape contractor, and have a problem with S160 bobcat. So need to post three times to raise this as a new thread..... unless anyone reading this has also had an alignment problem with the lift arms?

  27. #27wilddanz712009-11-15 18:09

    any one know any thing about this kind of backhoe? looks nice not having to climb in and out YouTube - RETROESCAVATORE UEMME

  28. #28Steve Frazier2009-11-15 19:05

    That's Caterpillar's backhoe attachment for their skid steers, specifically made for Cats. I imagine with enough effort it could be adapted to another machine. The down side is visibility of the bucket, you aren't perched as high or as far forward as with the other style backhoe so you can see your ditch as well.

  29. #29td25c2009-11-15 19:26

    Thats one thing I like about the skidloader mounted hoe is the great visibility.I can reach back & grab the tractor controlls from the backhoe seat for moving around.I guess it would not be to hard to make rocker peddles on the hoe that have a linkage running to the handles on the skid loader ,or make some extentions for the skidloader handels so they can be used easyer from the hoe seat.Thats a nice looking hoe ScottSeptic.

  30. #30ScottSeptic2009-11-16 21:27

    Thanks 25c, and the visibility on those is terrible. If your doing and utility or pipe work deeper than 18" or so you cant see what your doing well at all. Unless you got a rubber'neck and can stick it out the front window while sitting in the seat. I tried it, wasn't a fan.

  31. #31ssrookie2009-12-27 22:03

    I have a Bradco 611 backhoe and I like mine pretty well. I bought it new online and have no real complaints. Powerful digger, but for really long trenches, I always bring my mini excavator. Beats having a wasted person in the skid to move you around.

  32. #32BLconst2009-12-30 23:33

    I have a Cat Bh30 as in the video, very nice to move around in cab, but no visability, Ive been thinking about modifying to be able to mount seat and leave controls tilted forward so I can see into trench, but would have to bypass seat safety, etc. Do the Bradcos have visiblity problem or is it equal to mini ex? While in seat of bradco can youu reach back and move ss unit or is it locked out till you get back in seat?

  33. #33gpap1232010-02-04 17:55

    i am also thinking to buy a used back hoe for my 763. the controls are down in the cab such us the cat on the previous video.... the model is bcat 730. so do you think it is a waste of money??? Any opinions would be appriciated!!!

  34. #34BLconst2010-02-04 23:12

    i dont like controls in cab, no visibility, Also, i recently started using bh30 again after running mini ex, i was trying to just take one machine with all attachments, and I listed backhoe attachement at auction the next day. Not even close to smooth, very jumpy. I was worried about breaking utilities. with mini ex i can dig around them no problem. I have finally resolved to taking skid steer with attachemnts and mini ex everywhere on one trailer.

  35. #35Taylortractornu2010-02-06 22:12

    Tri Honu, You wouldnt happen to beable to describe the mount for an 1845 Case. I think it would be similar to my 1840 Case loader. I cant find the mount pic anywhere. What Ive got is backhoe off a little Vermeer trencher. It only digs a few feet deep. I need it for smaller jobs that dont call for or accomodate the PC50. This is an odd backhoe, the swind is kinda highwell about 18 inches off the ground because it mounted over the lade on the front of the trencher. Its already got a seat and controls, but the outriggers come out straight off the the sides and dont angle forward, The oom also swings only 140 degrees. Thats not a big prolem mosty what ill be doing is mostly trenches, and small trees transplanting and other small work. I know Bobcat uses a set of trailer balls to mount theres to keep the stress off the mount and tilt cyliners up. Haven seen a Case set up.

  36. #36AusDave2010-02-07 09:04

    My skid has a backhoe built in Hi all. Below is a pic of my JCB 1CX with backhoe built in. It also has auxiliary hydraulics on the backhoe which I use with a small rockbreaker. It's a very handy package, all I have to do to use the backhoe is to swivel the seat. Seated at a good height I've got excellent visibility which is enhanced by the sideshift capability of the backhoe. I can also move the machine while doing backhoe jobs without turning the seat. With a 4in1 bucket on the front it's as close as you can get to a one machine that does all. And being in Australia it's dry enough most of the time not to worry about traction with wheels instead of tracks. Regards Dave (Australia)

  37. #37munsters1002010-02-08 09:48

    You see a lot used skid steer backhoes on auction yards for $2500-4500 which is way less than new.

  38. #38gpap1232010-02-09 05:53

    i think that 1cx is very good small machine and almost every job can be done... Unfortunatelly, in my country is very expensive to buy, even when it is used..

  39. #39stovein2010-02-09 11:41

    Does anyone have a picture of the upper frame to backhoe mount on a New Holland 96 or newer? I have a case /davis 100 that I had on a Bobcat 632 and need to adapt it to lx 665. The only mount spot I see would be center below the cab entrance. I think it has to be higher than the quick attach plate to be effective. Possibly a socket of some type and a hook on the backhoe that would come down into it? It has to be some thing that will not be in the way or a tripping hazard. Thanks for any ideas.

  40. #40245dlc2010-05-11 23:13

    I'm thinking about getting a backhoe in the future for odd job situations. I'll probably get a compact track loader because of how the ground is here and I have seen the Bobcat brand backhoes but was wondering if they are any good? I saw a youtube video of a guy in B.C. using a 709 Bobcat backhoe and it appeared to be quite jerky and kind of spastic. Is this because of how the controls are set up? The design of the attachment? Or the connection between the seat and the controls? lol I recently saw a Caterpillar backhoe attachment for skid-steers sitting on a construction site over the weekend and as far as I could see it looked pretty sturdy.

  41. #41cdm1232010-05-12 22:03

    i have a 911 bobcat hoe that i used for years on a 825 bobcat and it worked very well. it hade enuf power to pull the loader around or lift back end off the ground if you got to rough on the sticks.