Good evening all, I run a small, part time sawmill in central NC. I have an old Deere 410 backhoe that has been very handy to have around the mill. I would like to add a grapple to the boom for unloading and sorting logs. I was looking at this grapple: http://excavator-attachments.com/images/p12900041_cfmb.png http://excavator-attachments.com/images/p12900031_bgey.png I need something that doesn't require an additional hydraulic circuit so this style seems like it will work. I thought about a bucket/thumb combination however I think it will be easier to 'pick' logs with the tines on this unit. My questions to anyone with experience: are there any problems with grapples of this style? Are there any warnings about welding the bracket onto an older boom? Thanks in advance guys! -lee
Seems it should work, here is a thumb the previous owner stick welded onto my 310. Not the prettiest, but it works. Basically the same concept that your showing with the grapple.
Actually the one he posted is a dual pivot grapple. The "bucket" tine pins to bucket pin but then extends back behind the bucket pin and has another pivot for the thumb. It's an interesting concept, should work well I would think.
Take a look at this..... No hydraulics to plumb, and no welding whatsoever http://www.amulet.com/hoeclamp.html http://www.amulet.com/images/HoeClamp/HoeClamp%20w%20Rock.JPG
SWEEET! Anyone here have blueprints for a homemade thumb?
i have an amulet thumb on my 655d ford and i love it.
ebay has a few different thumbs listed. I did a quick search there for backhoe thumb. This one is $275.00.