As I have mentioned several times since I have been a member. Im starting a small side business. So far the only jobs I know I will have lined up will be some construction debris removal contracts. Naturaly the equipment of choice for that would be a skid steer. But I personaly have alot more seat time from a backhoe loader. Ive run a few skid steer/CTL's, but am nowhere near as confident in my skills on one. Though my seat time has been VERY limited. Maybe an hour or 2 total. I was thinking maybe something like a Kubota L48. With the backhoe off, the size of the tractor and a skid steer will be pretty close. Though the tractor will still be a little longer I doubt there would be anywhere the skid steer could get that the Tractor couldn't. Something like the L48 would also allow me to offer backhoe services, post hole digging, bush hogging, all with the same tractor. Its just a thought... Any opinions? Here is some info on the Kubota L48.. http://kubota.com/f/products/l48.cfm
It's been my experience that a skidsteer is a very good "entry level" machine for a prospective operator to learn on. The various control patterns, while they differ somewhat, are all pretty intuitive. While an inexperienced operator may not be able to jump right in and make grade for a concrete floor, as long as they remember not to go bouncing off across the countryside with a loaded bucket six feet in the air, most guys will gain sufficient experience without doing major damage to themselves or the machine. I wouldn't let your lack of seat time in skidders be a worry. As far as how a small tractor stacks up against a skidsteer... You can rent just as many attachments for a skidsteer as you could for a tractor, if not more. Regardless of the relative lengths of the two machines, you'll also *never* spin a tractor 180 degrees in the space that you can with a skidder. I don't have much time on compact tractors, but I'm sure that's due in part to the fact that their application in my end of the business is limited. I can see the advantage if you're planning on attaching a mower, or doing a lot of raking/dragging, but otherwise I think the skidsteer is the better compromise. On edit: I'll qualify that last remark. Backhoe attachments on the front of a skidsteer are a lousy compromise. If you're going to be doing a lot of hoe work, you'll get annoyed with the skidsteer real fast...
i'm going through this with a friend of mine that wants to buy an all purpose machine to haul between his son's farm & daughter's acreage. we've looked at a lot...my opinion is...if you decide on a new compact tlb - buy the JD 110. the L48 is the same price and i think the JD is the better buy & will be worth more if you decide to sell. $35,000. new the smaller kubotas/john deeres are not worth the $$$ they want for a new one. i feel that a skidsteer and small excavator would be better...
I agree with digger... I think the SSL will be better for you to begin with. There's a few basic reasons. First, even if you aren't as experienced with a SSL, you can move material quicker. Most debris-removal jobs aren't too big (... I think they aren't, at least...), and a SSL (about 2200+ ROC) will be able to complete the job faster than would a TLB simply because skids are more manueverable. Even if you do the job a bit longer, you'll have used less fuel, saving you money there. Second, the purchase cost of a SSL is far lower than that of a backhoe loader. Third, you may have better chance to get to do more jobs -- if contractors are facing smaller and smaller lots, a SSL may be more effective than a TLB. I'm a little biased toward the SSL, though, but I do think it would be a better deal for you at the moment.
Xcavator, I have a L 48 and after looking well over a year, I could not get one in New England area for under 41. I ended up getting my machine from Harrisburg PA area and saved just over 8 grand. This is a substantial difference when one needs a machine and will keep it many years,. The other thing, if you visit TBN net at all, the JD 110's are having some transmission problems and there is a guy on there with a fairly new 110 (300) hrs in it's first year, and he wants out of that machine,, I don't know the particulars, however, I know from running a JD 110 and my L 48, there are major differences in both. The JD has a lot of plastic, like hood, fenders and other areas, The Kubota is all steel, The 48 hoe digs 11 ft and the 110, 10. It depends on what this guy needs to do with the machine... And as usual, I guess it comes down to what preference each of us is comfortable with.
Well, I was looking for SOMEBODY to say "Hey, thats a good idea, go with it".. But you didn't, you let me down.... :crying just kidding Im gonna break down and get a skid steer or compact track loader. Because no matter how much I try to deny it, I know you are right. During my years working as an equipment operator. I would avoid a skid steer like it was contaminated with anthrax. I think the biggest cause for me having a hatred of skid steers is they werent built for me. They are small and cramped, and when you are 6'4 340, thats not a fun place to be. But I did start this South Beach diet 2 weeks ago, so maybe it will get just a little less cramped in the future. Now I have looked around for one I might be happy with. Takeuchis... Big and spacious cab. But with my size 14 feet planted on the floor and sitting upright in the seat, the restraint bar comes down, goes over the belly, but rests not all the way down on my legs!!!! Now I can lose weight to bail the belly, but I cant cut my legs off!!!! From what I understand, its gotta be all the way down for the machine to work. Bobcats... Forget about it!!!!!! Gehl... See Bobcat ^ Im gonna call my New Holland dealer. Im gonna tell him I don't want to talk about the machine, I just want to give it a fat boy test... Actualy, forget my new business. Anybody want to start Big Boy's Compact Equipment Manufacturing with me? Rog
I am game At 6' 2" and 310 myself I know all to well about not being able to fit into the smaller skid steers the are just not made for larged boned people.I worked at a hardware store when I was 15 and the owner wanted me to move one of the smaller bobcats and even then it took for ever to get in it and even longer to get out of it.
I feel your pain my brother in bigness!!!! As for getting in and out, I like to consider myself pretty agile for my size. Nobody beleives me when I tell them I can kick something that is over my head. Ive made $20 more than once off of that one.. I think what I hate the most is getting in one, and it being so cramped that I feel like I really don't belong there. Then all I can hear in my head is Chris Farley from Tommy Boy singing Fat guy in a little coat, Faaaat guy in a little coat....
For what it's worth -- I've debated the skidsteer vs. TLB question here before, and decided that for what I wanted to do at the time, the TLB was a better machine for my application than was the skidsteer. There are some strong skidsteer supporters here, with good arguments. The big thing to remember is that a TLB will do many things, but it's not the perfect machine for all things. After working with my current "fearless leader" I'm pretty convinced that a skidsteer and mini excavator, with a blade, makes a pretty good combo, but it's two machines, and still can't drag a box blade, or mower. It would be easy for any one of us to give you our answer, the real question is - What machine is the best single machine to do the most good in your situation? Remember, you can always rent something else, as you need it. As for the big boy question, guess I'm once again the lightweight, at 215, but I'm 6'6", and have two big feet. (Sometimes, it seems like they're both lefties.) I haven't found any skidsteer I'd care to get in and out of 20 times a day, and I'm over dealing with a pedal controlled machine. Too much hassle on the knees. Have no troubles with the Mini Ex's or the small TLBs. In your case, this may be a decision factor, that the normal size guys just don't understand. Age is another - As a kid, I never minded bouncing in a skidsteer, but at 52, I'm no longer inclined to suffer it if I can use another machine. Let us know which way you're gonna go.
After spending one day last week in a rented skidsteer I have to agree with littledenny - too much beating and bouncing around and my knees talked to me the next day from running the boom and bucket (funny I never noticed that years ago), plus I don't want to be that close to what I'm loading sometimes... But the attachments available really do boggle the brain. Most of my work is light stuff on established lawns / landscapes so I prefer the lighter step of the tractor over the SSL. I think that the mini ex and SSL would have to be a great work combo but you need 2 people to operate them together to be effective. I like the idea of the compact TLB that I can drop the backhoe off of easily and use the tractor for bladeing/mowing/seeding/whatevering. I tried out a JD 110 and a Kubota L39 this week and they are both pretty nice machines. Each had it's good and bad points, It'll be a tough decision and I don't think that either would be a bad choice. I'd sure be interested in what you pick and how well it works out for you. I bet we all tend to run the equipment that we enjoy being on the most and seek out the type of work that relates to it whenever we can.