Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Backhoe loading – no dovetail??

KevinF ยท 2014-09-30 13:12

I am looking at buying a 3 axle single wheel deckover gooseneck trailer to haul my 580b. I would like to get one with a dovetail, but the ones without a dovetail are a few thousand cheaper in most cases. How many of you have loaded or regularly load a backhoe on a deck over without a dovetail? Is it a big deal? Seems to me the ramps would be exceedingly steep or exceedingly heavy..

Replies24
  1. #1overworked2014-09-30 14:35

    If I were to be moving it regularly then I would a- buy a trailer with a beaver tail or b- buy a trailer and ad a beaver tail. How good is your back?

  2. #2lumberjack2014-09-30 16:22

    12' aluminum ramps rated for 12klb axles weigh 105lbs.

  3. #3KevinF2014-09-30 17:00

    Lumberjack - you are correct, good to know that option exists. Those ramps cost enough to make me spring for the beaver tail though, which is exactly the push that I probably need. Basically on the good-shape-used market: 30-34 ft deckover - $5000, fairly common. Same with a beavertail, $8-$9k and not too easy to find.

  4. #4clintm2014-09-30 20:26

    you can load it pretty easy with a little practice with out ramps or beaver tail until you blow a hose or some other break down that partially disables it then if you have ramps you can drive on to take it to get repaired

  5. #5lumberjack2014-09-30 21:11

    Like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USlsAE1UMN0

  6. #6clintm2014-09-30 21:27

    yeah but he's talking about a rubber tire loader backhoe it's a little harder but there is a railroad contractor in my area that haul's most of his loader backhoes in the back of dump trucks single axles and tdm's that's fun to do with a narrow 6" railroad cross tie bucket on the hoe end

  7. #7JDOFMEMI2014-10-01 02:23

    Here is one way to do it with a rubber tire hoe. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRwTXM8ao2Q Another way is from the side. Both require a bit of skill. Given the choice, I would spend the extra money and buy a dovetail trailer, or a tilt deck.

  8. #8Old Doug2014-10-02 18:02

    Me and my brother both have trailers with out dove tails. I have a set of metal ramps off of a old carhauler and he has some aluminum ramps. They are both very heavy but we haul alot of stuff and i like the flat back better than hauling stuff on the ramps. If i was just hauling a back hoe i would have a dovetail its a hundred times easyer than carrying a 200pound ramp.

  9. #9gwhammy2014-10-04 06:38

    Most operators are hurt or killed loading and unloading equipment. A couple thousand dollars is a small expense to be safe. I would opt for a dovetail and ramps.

  10. #10oceanobob2014-10-04 09:18

    Hydraulic assisted folding ramps is how I solved this problem on my flat deck trailer. A lot of folks make positive comments on the setup and seem to think it is a good idea.... Has pro's and cons. Short trailer for easier parking and better 'approach/depart' ground clearance than a fixed slope tail. Ramps had to be separate & set apart in respect to width (to fit the boom from the backhoe and the manlift) but this 'gap' is a pain when loading the compactor. Conveyor belts on the ramps help traction with things like a dozer. I always thought the tiltbed was the 'cats opinion', but have learned the cg of the backhoe being so near the rear axle makes a tilt not so good. If I were to replace this trailer, I would aim for the standard dove tail all things considered (although around these parts they call it a beavertail).

  11. #11gwhammy2014-10-04 10:00

    The last trailer I built has a six foot dovetail and five foot ramps. Anything goes up it easy. I've had short tails and ramps and having the front tires on the backhoe in the air on the ramps is really uncomfortable. I wish I had put air or hydraulic assist on my ramps, still might.

  12. #12stumpjumper832014-10-04 16:19

    My preference is a tilt top. I have had a bad experience with a triple axle trailer, and will never own another. Go to low pro semi rubber on tandem duals. With backhoes, beaver tails are nice, and in general the longer the better. Some of the old hoes will drag the rear bucket when you load if the trailer beaver isn't long enough. Also if your pulling this with a pickup especially get or make rear stabilizers for the back of the trailer so you don't lift the back of the truck off when you load.

  13. #13old-iron-habit2014-10-04 20:54

    Try not to turn to sharp while backing up with a loaded 3 axle trailer, beavertail or not. Due to the axle equalizing configuration it is easy to twist axles backing and turning loaded. If you are lucky you will only break a spring.

  14. #14KevinF2014-10-06 14:08

    Darn it! It IS a beaver tail, you are right. Dove tail (as I best know it) is when you take a pickup bed and taper it narrower towards the rear of the truck and I mistakenly use dovetail rather than beaver tail, for whatever reason. Off-road background/force of habit. Thanks for all the input. What I might do is shop around in North Dakota and Montana and see if prices are better down there. Plus keep an eye on the used market up here. I have one available to me, not used much, 32 or 34 ft I think with beaver tail included, new tires, $8000.

  15. #15KevinF2014-10-06 14:11

    Isn't that the truth.. I hate to see a loaded trailer turned tight. You can literally see the tire scuff and the side loading exerted on the bearings.. All the tires tilted different directions. Unfortunately, with a longer trailer it seems it is often the case. I wonder how much worse the fuel consumption is on a tandem dually versus tri single..

  16. #16mitch5042014-10-06 21:28

    I would think it would range from, "no real difference"to "a little better". I've never measured it, but the dual tandem pulls easier in certain situations, and the tri-axle never does.

  17. #17lumberjack2014-10-06 22:21

    Triple singles have less rolling resistance than tandem duals. However, duals have the benefit of being able to get around with one tire flat, if need be.

  18. #18mitch5042014-10-06 23:01

    Other than having 2 less tires flexing, I don't think that is necessarily so. I know the dual tandem pulls easier in soft ground, and while turning. It seems to me that maybe the dual tandem has less tire flexing because the weight is being carried on 2 more tires, unless the dual tires are lighter rated, but I can't swear to it. I have pulled single wheel tri-axles a few hundred thousand miles in the last 2? years, and only graduated to dual tandems for my light trailers in the last few years, but I see no real advantages to the tri-axles. What do you think?

  19. #19KevinF2014-10-07 17:07

    At least this guy doesn't make the claim that the trailer was hardly used.

  20. #20lumberjack2014-10-07 22:03

    For me, duals are the only way to go.

  21. #21rutwad2014-10-10 02:57

    Tandem duals. Much easier on tires and axles when turning or backing. And I have been in some very tight places with a dual tandem trailer. I would guess the tri axle would take more area to turn around. Fuel savings? That would probably be so close you would never know. And yes, spend the extra money for the dovetail, beavertail (the sloped rear). You may find many more uses for your trailer that may not load as easily as a backhoe. Besides, when you look back 25 years from now you won't even miss the couple extra thousand you have to spend now.

  22. #22RTSmith2015-01-12 16:46

    I don't know if you've bought yet, but I use a 30' GN. 25' flat, with a 5' dovetail (what they're called down here) with 5' ramps. If I'm not careful, the same thing happens with my 420D like ghwhammy said above- backhoe does a wheelie. Not too cool. I've not found the answer, because I don't usually want to have a bucket full of material for ballast. So- just FYI. And I have to set the rear boom down low for height clearance, so backing on not really a solution like it is with a skid steer.

  23. #23RTSmith2015-01-12 16:50

    For what it is worth- if you really want a single, you can do a 10K axles, with a single wheel/tire. We do it on horse trailers regularly. Much lower rolling resistance than duals. But unless I'm doing a bunch of miles, I prefer the duals. Cheaper too, and more rubber on the road while braking.

  24. #24KevinF2015-04-10 14:38

    This is a good indication of how patient I am (read:too many projects, not enough time). I bought a trailer yesterday. I went with a 30ft tandem dual. Tandem dual because I don't like the scrubbing of the tridems, how they switch pivot tires etc. I really wanted oil bath axles because I'm sick of the mini crap bearings on my 10,000 lb GVWR wannabe 'equipment trailer' which is really just a car hauler. Anyway the trailer came with the slip tank, pump, chains, boomers, ratchet straps, was 5-10 years newer and still cheaper than anything else I had seen within 400 miles, so I had to snap it up. It is a 30ft (deck + beaver tail) Gatormade. Has the torque tube, fairly low profile. Pictured is my 98 3/4 ton with a semi-float 14 bolt and a 5.3, 4l80e in it. My big block truck with the 14b ff and my friends 7.3 dually will be the main tow rigs used with the trailer. Also.. I think the slip tank is empty (or mostly empty) and the helper bags are showing 40 lbs.. I'm not sure what the unloaded weight on it is.