Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Backhoe opinions Purchase

Ralph Harris · 2025-01-03 09:55

Morning everybody I’m a new member I own a farm in Cochran Georgia. I have a dead 555B Ford Backjoe that basically needs rebuilding. I also have a John Deere bulldozer 450 e that just died it stopped moving. Been a tough couple years. I actually need not necessarily want another Backhoe to be evil move everything around and do some light Land clearing and also just to manipulate and move the broken down equipment. I have right now onto trailers to head to shop or whatever. My actual question is I have a chance to buy a caterpillar 420 D for what I consider to be a decent price $20,000. It has 6000 hours on. It has been maintained not a cream puff, but an actual farm machine. My experience with backhoes has been a 510 John Deere and 2 555 Ford backhoes over 14 years. In all honesty, I would like to stay with the Ford Backhoe because I like the way they operate but I need something pretty quick. My price range is under $20,000. So what do y’all think? Thanks in advance and sorry for such a long post.

Replies20
  1. #1NH575E2025-01-03 11:55

    I will probably have my 575E up for sale in a few months but I'm not ready to part with it right now. I'm about 3 hours south of you.

  2. #2cosmaar12025-01-03 20:24

    Whatttt?????? It can’t be!

  3. #3Swetz2025-01-04 12:28

    First off, you will find members on here running many shades of yellow. All the major players make good machines. Some like Case, some JD, and still others NH. Going with one of the major players is important if you want to get parts. I would think your budget would dictate the shade of yellow. If a good deal comes by, and it checks out, it is worth buying. Personally, I have a New Holland 675E. The machine is similar to all the other models in the E series with a few modifications i.e. engine hp, and capacities. I actually love this machine. It amazes me at what it can do. That said NH sucks. They have made many changes to the cylinders, and obsolited many parts. One thing that comes to mind is another 555B. They are awesome machines. If you get another of the same model, you now have parts (at least the good ones) that you can use on the upgraded machine.

  4. #4cuttin edge2025-01-04 13:11

    Cat parts are expensive, but they all seem to be up there now. If you're used to a Ford or New Holland, you won't like the Cat. But if the price is right.

  5. #5Ralph Harris2025-01-08 14:57

    Thanks guys. I pulled the head off my 555B and it looks like at some point moisture got in there. There was moisture on top of the Pistons. I’m scared to death to think what the crankshaft and all the components in there look like.. The old school in me wants to buy a 4000 Ford Tractor and just swap the engine into my backhoe. I do like the way the Ford operates compared to newer machines. I’m sure. I just hate electronics so whatever I get that’s gonna have to be without the electronics even though they make life easier with starting other applications, but I don’t depending on Electronics For Heavy Equipment anyway Interested in your machine if you decide to get rid of it I have to see how far we are apart distance wise

  6. #6Swetz2025-01-09 08:49

    Used engines for the 555B are out there. They made a lot of them. There are some machine junk yards out there that would have them already pulled and ready to go. I think I would pull the pan and at least look at the bottom end before condemning it. It is a bit of a pain, and a real heavy pan, but doable. Splitting the machine is a bit of work if the engine is bad, so checking to see if it can be saved is prolly worth it. My 675E is a 1999, and still no real electronics on the engine. After the E series NH started the electronics.

  7. #7NH575E2025-01-09 08:55

    For parts you can check with T&H Sales and Salvage In Pavo, Ga. (229) 859-2643

  8. #8Ralph Harris2025-01-09 09:55

    Thanks again for the information. I’m embarrassed to send a pictures of those pistons. The machine sat for three years. It’s amazing what sitting in the south eastern United States with our humidity and heat will do to any form of metal. Swetz pm price on your machine And thnxNH for the info

  9. #9Dan_Bucket2025-01-09 10:14

    When some people want to buy an old machine they contact a skilled diesel mechanic to evaluate the machine. You might want to have contact with a good mechanic anyway, although you sound like you have some skills. One thing the mechanic might do is look at the oil to see if there is any particulate matter, which might indicate a problem.

  10. #10Swetz2025-01-09 10:20

    NH575E has the machine for sale. You can certainly see the history of the machine if you search his posts.

  11. #11Ralph Harris2025-01-09 11:21

    Thanks for everything Guys. I truly appreciate it. My background is mainly refrigeration and electrical, but I’ve learned through the school of hard knocks. How to be at least a little dangerous on my own equipment. I plan on dropping the oil pan to take a look at the crankshaft. I’ll post pictures of the pistons. They are scary looking, also the valves had some rust on them. My gut feeling is you’ll see how bad the Pistons are. There will probably be a recommendation for a new. if I can clean it up enough and get the parts, smooth and operating I might be able to avoid splitting the tractor

  12. #12Ralph Harris2025-01-09 11:27
  13. #13NH575E2025-01-09 12:37

    Those aren't as bad as I've seen. Fill it full of a 50/50 mix of ATF and acetone. If you can free it up and get the pistons and rods out you can hone it and check the bores. Might be able to ring it. If and when I get ready to sell my machine I will be asking 18-20 grand. It's a good running old machine with unknown hours. Doesn't smoke or use oil. All the cylinder functions work as they should. Stabilizers and crowd have been re sealed within the last 8 years. 4WD works and trans operates in all 4 gears although I have never used 4th or had it on a highway. Brakes don't work due to slave cylinder leaks into rear axle. Window latches are all broken or missing but the AC works good so having them zip tied closed hasn't been a problem for me.

  14. #14AzIron2025-01-09 23:26

    If your shopping for a 420 d there fairly solid machines there not hard to work on the thing i hate the most about mine is about 8 hydralic fittings that can only be sourced from cat on the boom hoses other than that they are pretty easy to get parts for seen quite a few upwards of 12 to 15000 hours Overall the machine operates mechanialy no electronics if your used to wabble sticks pilot controls are less talkative but they work

  15. #15Ralph Harris2025-01-14 10:12

    Thnx guys and NH that’s not bad for a well maintained machine. I was able to make a deal on 85 310 b JD needs TLC but runs good. 6500 . I would ask if anybody has a diagram for the Hoe section It’s not correct can I just swap the hoses around to make it work like it supposed to? I think somebody set it up to be like excavator controls. Thanks again guys

  16. #16Ralph Harris2025-01-14 10:13

    Oh, and I’m gonna drop the oil pan to look at the bearings and the crank on the 555 I’ll post pictures of the Hydraulic connection block on the Hoe. It might ring somebody’s bell.

  17. #17Swetz2025-01-14 10:19

    Congrats, Ralph, on the new iron...Best of luck with it!! Keep us posted on both machines.

  18. #18NH575E2025-01-14 11:08

    Didn't find anything free on the 310B other than a spec sheet. Here is a two page spec sheet that popped up when I searched for your model. https://www.deere.com/assets/pdfs/common/products/backhoes/backhoe-310b.pdf Found a video on 310D controls that seems to work the same as my NH. Swapping hoses should work if you have room to route them.

  19. #19Ralph Harris2025-01-15 11:39

    Thanks guys. I’ll read every word. I’ve been sick of the last three days. Thanks as always.

  20. #20Ralph Harris2025-01-15 12:10

    so I did a little searching. I read a post on a forum. I can’t remember where or who but they swapped linkages. I didn’t think of that. Is that possible?