Hey Everyone, I am new here and new to backhoes in general, but am in the market for one for some yard projects I have planned so I had some questions. I want to use it for building some rock walls and moving some pretty large rocks (like in the top right of the attached picture), as well as transplanting some ~10 ft trees, and other general earth moving tasks. My first question is how big of a backhoe do I need to do these tasks (mainly moving those size rocks)? What should I pay the most attention to when test driving/operating them as I am shopping? I only want to spend around ~$5k if I can help it. I came across this local ad for a Kubota B7100 and I was wondering if people think its a fair price/good machine (second attached picture)? Kubota B7100 four wheel drive tractor, with bucket loader and backhoe real compact diesel, 3 cylinder, 17HP true horsepower - not rated, 8 speed transmission, front end loader has 4' bucket, backhoe digs 6' and is frame mounted, turf tires & rear PTO. Low time, runs & looks good. $6650. bo, Thanks in advance for any any advice you can provide.
Just to add a bit more info, I called the guy and asked a few questions... He said it's from the "80's or 90's", has 600 hours on it, he is the 2nd owner, it was used for landscaping and snow removal, is not a hydrostatic transmission, has done routine maintenance of it (oil changes), tires have decent tread, it was repainted because his buddy who owned a body shop owed him money
a couple more pics in case they help...
Some of those boulders look to weigh 5 ton or more. That Kubota won't budge 'em.
That's a cute little machine, but those rocks aren't gonna move with that. Figure 150# cubic foot for rock, looks like you have 1000# + pieces there. Don't think it's gonna happen. Tthat front bucket looks like it's seen some hard use, and a new paint job to me is suspicious. Might be fun for putzing around the yard, but it's not a backhoe. Joe H
I forgot to mention rolling or dragging them is fine, I don't need to actually pick them up... would I be able to do at least that with the smaller ones (~3'x~2'x~3') or am I going to damage it? If not, what size machine would I need? Thanks
Something looks strange about that backhoe to me, the boom looks weak, and the bucket looks a bit large. (An od combo) And my guess is that the only thing 'kubota' about the hoe portion itself is probably the sticker, it almost looks homemade. But with that said, its not a bad price for it, as long as it operates and isn't bleeding from every seal. That engine is pretty hardy, and from the picture it looks like it was fairly well maintained. For moving rocks a thumb would be a good idea, but that backhoe just doesn't look solid enough to handle one. Just food for thought, you might want to think about a mini excavator instead, those tend to be better suited to that kind of thing.
I see what you mean about something weird looking about the backhoe arm and the loader bucket does look big and maybe thin, maybe its supposed to be a snow bucket? While I have your attention, here's another one that's a little cheaper, is hydrostatic, but doesn't look like it has 4wd, opinions? Case 648 loader backhoe hydrostatic drive twin cylinder 18 hp commercial duty onan engine , front loader with down pressure will load pickup .. New Kelly backhoe cost 4200 . Digs aprox 6 ft deep ... Has 6inch trench and 12 inch bucket Machine runs and drives great very powerful digging or snow work $5,650 bro Thanks for your help
On the bright side, the backhoe looks a lot more stout on this one. And I think case, and Cub Cadet might be twins in different pants, so the machine is probably ok. But I'd say you are right, it looks like a 2wd unit. that's a pretty narrow trenching bucket, not real handy for moving rocks. And this machine would probably be a bit light in the nose is you were to try to travel with a rock crabbed in the hoe. (Not a recommended stunt, but if you are moving large rocks to different points in the wall, you know you are going to do it.) B-) On the Kubota, I think you called it on the snow bucket. No biggie there, its thinner metal, with too much carrying capacity. (So Don't overload it.) I had one of those on my 9n, and it worked fine for me. It does keep you on your toes though. For moving rocks, you are really going to need something with a thumb. You can live with out it (like I do) but life is a lot easier with one.
Do you know if it is possible to add a thumb to either of these with a kit or does that require a whole new arm? Is this thing a gimmick? http://extrememetalproducts.com/i-13354328-backhoe-thumb-bolt-on.html It looks like that arm is a normal Kubota for a B7100 because I found a picture of another one for sale: http://twentywheels.com/imgs/a/a/c/f/m/kubota_b7100_loader__backhoe_2_lgw.jpg
Bolt on thumbs are fine, in fact that's probably what I'll end up getting for my mine ex. On the down side, you have to manually adjust them. Not a deal breaker, but kind of a pain. Pretty interesting on the backhoe design, my neighbor had an older one and the arm looks a lot more stout. His was from the 70's and had separate controls for the functions. (So four sticks instead of two.) Kind of a hand full. My Kubota is a B7300 from 1989 and the backhoe arm on mine looks about 100 times tougher, I'm a big fan of more metal. Here my machine in action: http://youtu.be/IM4Tj8erywM If you look at the arm you can see where my thumb clips in. You can also see how solid my mast is.
haha, that's a great video of your kid using it!
Ha, third generation of operator there, that's my grandson. B-)
when it comes to tractors here is my .02 i say get the biggest tractor you can afford avoid backhoes on the 3pt hitch try and get them with a sub frame that mounts on the tractor it is much stronger and doesn't destroy your 3pt hitch also look for a tractor with rear remote hydraulics comes in handy as you start adding attachments down the line
No, whatever their exact weight, those outweigh the Kubota hands down, and it will not move them without extreme measures. Maybe if they were round and you wanted to roll them downhill, but that would be a terrible way to squish a perfectly good Kubota. That loader is made for moving mulch and horse manure, and the backhoe is made for planting small trees and bushes, and they work fine for that. If you want to move those rocks either rent or buy a full size backhoe or mini excavator, and drag them around, or find some druid friends and do it the old fashioned way.
I did a lot of rock moving last summer, rocks about half the size in your photo. Even with smaller rocks it can be dangerous. I would hire a pro do do the moving and placement of those rocks, one slip and one could become your headstone. I have a 580SE and I think the lift with the bucket is 5000, wouldn't do those rocks. That tractor would make a nice landscape tractor for a few acres. Be-careful what ever you do.