Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

backhoe thumb

seph10 ยท 2006-03-06 19:33

I have a case 580k extend-a-hoe, does anyone know if a thumb can be welded to the dipper,,also is there anywhere I can get plans to make one,,

Replies7
  1. #1CascadeScaper2006-03-07 00:00

    I've seen it done a couple times. Amulet makes a nice, smaller thumb for backhoes. Obviously you can't use the thumb with the extendahoe all the way out, but at least you've got a thumb.

  2. #2Ford LT-90002006-03-07 00:40

    The JCB I ran had a hydraulic thumb with extenda hoe. The thumb worked at any postion the extenda hoe was at. The thumb attaches to the end of the stick with a special bracket. I can't remember how it fits on the machine as its been a year since I ran the machine.

  3. #3tuney4432006-03-19 10:57

    My welder fabricated mine for my 510B out of 2" hard stock.Weld 2 long ears on the dipper with 2 1.5" holes.Your thumb now needs to be tailored to fit that,make the lenghth so it retracts to within the booms limit-real easy--he had it done in about 3 hours.

  4. #4turco580superl2008-11-16 14:41

    I just purchased a 580l, couldn't afford the thumb made for it...it wasnt home made!....He still has it, I can get contact info if you want...its Hyd. Ross

  5. #5wilddanz712008-11-16 16:46

    there are alot of thumbs on ebay, even plans to make one. this one is a bolt on , I guess that you cant weld to the kind of steel on some case hoes? http://cgi.ebay.com/Pin-on-no-weld-...14&_trkparms=72:1205|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

  6. #6coopers2008-11-17 06:35

    That looks like it will fall apart pretty quick.

  7. #7coopers2008-11-17 06:38

    This is a repeat of a thread further down on the list. Amulet makes good mechanical thumbs for backhoes...and that's saying a lot coming from me since I DO NOT like mechanical thumbs. http://www.amulet.com/Templates/amul.../hoeclamp.htm#