I am a small home builder in Central Virginia. I want to start doing my own footers, back fills, concrete prep etc. I have tried to find a training course that focuses on this but can't find one that is near by and that fits my needs. Does anyone have a suggestion for a good school in the mid Atlantic area or perhaps know of a company that will train you for a fee?
Rent a machine and start practicing on the next job you do although most home builder sub it out for a reason the machines are expensive and it's just not something worth having if you are to work it so little
I dont think a backhoe would do the job . You would need an excavator . Job it out unless you are doing at least 100 basments and footings a year
Why would a backhoe not do the job? I do my footings, backfilling and concrete prep with my backhoe.... Do you already own a machine? You just need to learn how to use it effectively?
Guessing you have basements, being near north. Never saw a backhoe digging a basement when I lived in Michigan; always a tracked excavator. Virginia doesn't get cold enough to require basements, just a perimeter foundation a foot or two deep. OP, just buy a used machine and start digging on a weekend; you don't need the rest of the crew standing around watching you fumble. 20 hours on a weekend digging and whatever, you'll be surprised how much you can learn. You don't need a school; man up and just do it.
I've heard that this book is a great learning/reference tool. and even some seasoned operators say they have learned new and more efficient ways to operate and perform jobs. here is a link to a few pages of it. LINK and here is a link to order it. LINK
First of all - congratulations on your desire to actually be trained ! I've trained many nubies and 'experienced' operators to efficiently dig, as well as layout foundations, and other specialized operations. Don't know what manufacturers machine you have or will acquire, but most major brand dealers have professional demo operator / trainers. I'd suggest you contact your local dealer to see what they offer, and if they don't do it themselves, who they would suggest in your area. If you have a brand that doesn't have a local trainer, do contact your CAT dealer as they do have trainers that will help no matter what brand you have. Digging a hole is easy, digging proper footings is an art. Learning how to make them square, level and proper width for the building requirements will save you plenty in time and materials. That book mentioned above is a great resource .
I really appreciate everyone input. I just ordered the book. Thinkin I'm just gonna do it. @PDG X, I want to learn the art. Its really the ability to lay out the footing and step it down correctly that I am worried about. What is everyone recommendation on make / model of backhoe and make / model of laser levels?
Everyone has their own preference to make - I prefer CAT 420 size - choose based on what you can afford, local dealer support, the work you want to do, and the tools you will need to do that work. CAT, Deere, and Case are the top three, and all have pros and cons depending on your requirements. You can get some good used machines if you have time to look and compare. Don't go for cheap if you want reliability. If you can use the accelerated depreciation tax benefits, there is always new. I currently have a Bosch auto level laser, that works well. There are many laser manufacturers, just start with an auto leveler, now that they are reasonably priced. Check CPO Outlets for some good choices.
Thanks for all the info PDG X. I have been looking at Cat and Case. Been finding used ones in the 50 to 60K range with 1000-2000 hours and all the bells and whistles
Most people I know will disagree with this option but........ With that type of budget you can almost buy a new JCB http://www.machinerytrader.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=8442443 Overall I have been very well served by my JCB, I cant complain at all. It has its negative points, but they all do. As far as digging footings, I agree that laying out how your going to dig them is very important. Do you have any experience running equipment?
LT-x7 Yes I am an operator of many types of machines . I should explain my self in our area up here we must go minimum 4 ft deep for a home with a basement .Our excavator can have the basement / footings dug and leveled in a few hours . A tractor backhoe would take days on 2000 sq ft house .You would not have the reach to bail the dirt .Just the way we do things here.
No experience on a backhoe, only on a tractor with a loader. I am definetly a novice. We dont dig many basements here though Bill. All of my current subs dig with a backhoe. Our water table is too high. Down here, basements = moisture problems
Sorry Bill I was asking Ross if he had experience running equipment. I assumed for your input you had some experience. I have now doubt a excavator will dig a basement faster than a backhoe, but a backhoe will still do it and is more versatile. Basements are rare in my neck of the woods also, most homes are slab on grade with 12" x 12" footings if its a single story.