Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

backhoes and auctions

Dabney · 2008-12-17 00:05

Anyone have any experience relying on the equipment inspections done at the www.ironplanet.com auction site? I can't find a suitable used backhoe in my area and am considering buying one at this auction site - probably a used Case 580, or similar size with 2 to 5,000 hours (that will likely be in my price range). I've spent a lot of time reading dozens of threads on HeavyEquipmentForums and am beginning to think it may be impossible to buy a used backhoe, especially at an auction, that won't be a nightmare! Thanks for your advice!

Replies7
  1. #1humboldt deere2008-12-17 01:44

    I bought a deere 120c at ironplanet, and the report was right on. The machine was in better condition than I expected, no surprises.:drinkup

  2. #2Dabney2008-12-17 08:02

    Thanks for the reply. I will be bidding on one tomorrow!

  3. #3Toolguy2009-01-04 12:58

    I just bought a JD 310SG from a dealer. Got a great deal on a repossession. I have been shopping auctions, both in person and online, for the past 6 months. I've bid a couple of times but didn't win. In retrospect, I'm happy I didn't as there is too much risk at auction. With what I've learn so far, I wouldn't buy a TLB this way unless I was there in person and/or had my own inspection completed.

  4. #4gmads012009-01-04 19:37

    You may have already picked one up at auction, but just for feedback I wanted to second humboldt deere's experience. I bought a 60" padfoot compactor off of IronPlanet and felt the pictures and report were dead on. I too thought it was in better condition than I expected when it was received. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase again off of IronPlanet.

  5. #5stock032009-09-26 10:03

    What kind of shipping rates are you paying? I can only imagine what it would cost to ship a 12k pound machine a few hundred miles. I’m in NM and still looking for a backhoe. Hoprfully a cheap old unit I can afford

  6. #6reaper0202009-09-27 21:03

    just wondering what kind of deals you guys are finding for backhoes. can you guys post a few prices with year of machine and hours. thanks

  7. #7capt_met2009-09-28 19:02

    for shipping costs it doesn't seems too bad. i checked www.uship.com and rates weren't near what i expected. don't know much about uship except it seems a lot of folks use the service.