Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Backup Rippers

Deere9670 ยท 2008-04-10 19:52

I never even knew about these until seeing this video. So what does everone think, good or bad?:beatsme Heres the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbdytDD3x40&feature=related

Videos in this topic

Browse the full video library

Replies11
  1. #1North Texan2008-04-10 20:12

    Our 750B has them. It has backup rippers because it has a winch on the back. The backup rippers have worked fine for what we've used them for. Doing a fire guard, they are pretty handy. The first pass forward, we knock trees and brush out of the way. Then rip as we back up. Then blade the fire guard on the next pass. Works pretty good digging oilfield pits, too. Push dirt, rip backing up, then push some more dirt. Not so great where there's rocks, because the blade drags the rocks all the way back with you.

  2. #2637slayer2008-04-10 20:18

    ive seen those before, i think its a good idea, seems like the guy in the vid was defeating their purpose though, i would think you would push out then rip while you were backing up, i dont think they would do very good in rock though.

  3. #3superwrench01662008-04-10 20:19

    i see major track wear in the near future

  4. #4Deere96702008-04-10 20:19

    Ya, thats what I was thinking, because instead of wasting fuel while backing up, you can rip, but I can see it being a very bad idea to try it in rock.

  5. #5Deere96702008-04-10 20:21

    why Please explain?:beatsme

  6. #6Reuben2008-04-10 20:46

    A while back I had it all planned how i was going to design his system that was actually inside the blade housing and hydraulically extended out the bottom of the blade so you could rip going forward. I actually thought about it while I was cutting in some skid trails. it would be nice to have three seperate ones that you could control seperately. outside edges and middle. Say you wanted to rip on the uphill side of the road you where cutting but not in the middle or the downhill side,(or vise versa). Well I checked to see if it had a PAT. and it did. here it is........... http://www.google.com/patents?id=IY...C0DAtxC&sig=cOK-efftRB-fGhp26aoYXjwXGdc&hl=en

  7. #7Xcopterdoc2008-04-10 21:12

    i see major track wear in the near future Yup.. in reverse, it wears the pins and bushings, sprockets 3X faster than in forward.

  8. #8d6peg2008-04-10 21:29

    Dozers are built to work going forward not in reverse. When you put the added strain on a machine in reverse it will wear out the UC faster. We have a 5h that has back up rippers on the blade but only because it has a winch on the back.

  9. #9Deere96702008-04-10 21:30

    o ok now I see what ur saying, as in undercarriage. I though he ment like grousers wearing faster in reverse.

  10. #10Serv2008-04-27 07:41

    These came on a tractor I just acquired.

  11. #11JoeinTX2008-04-27 12:30

    I remember many of the older Cat machines( -6Bs and -5s) with back-up rippers going back many years. They were popular, as mentioned above, for ripping on the reverse trip before pushing right back over that pass on the return. Very big here for the "major" dirt moving projects such as dirt tanks and oil field pits.