Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bad day at the ranch

tmc_31 ยท 2014-04-11 08:10

Had a bad day yesterday. I was clearing thistle and pear off of about 30 acres over in Brown county in my nice comfy skid with the enclosed air conditioned office when I punched out the glass in the door with a tree stump Had to finish out the day.

Replies15
  1. #1wyomingjet2014-04-11 09:59

    Laughing at your bad day at the ranch,,, I could share manyyy a day n stories as most guys here can. At first glance I was thinkin the pic was of the new Taliban Leader of Helmand Province, Afghanistan. :drinkup Made me laugh at myself n days of yesterdays,,, Thanks for sharing, we should start a catalog of everyones bad days pics. Later Ty

  2. #2tmc_312014-04-13 10:28

    Hey guys, ran without the door again Friday. Was better since I remembered to dump into the pile from the upwind side . My dealer has a new glass in stock so I will get the door fixed tomorrow. Also I am considering a lexan door and an expanded metal guard for it. Hey Ty, if I had one of those turban things they wear on their head I probably wouldn't have been nearly so dirty. Tim

  3. #3Gorman2014-04-13 13:51

    how much is that door gonna co$t ya? I got a quote for like 1200 for my asv. Haven't had a glass door for two years.

  4. #4JNB2014-04-13 16:01

    Hey Tim, just so you don't feel too bad...here's me after a couple hours of running a doorless rental machine and power rake a few summers ago. Nice white shirt eh? Glad you didn't get hurt!

  5. #5Lindsey972014-04-13 17:41

    messin with sasquatch?

  6. #6CM19952014-04-13 18:22

    I remember those days not so fondly. Probably have as many hours in an open cab skid as I do in an enclosed cab and I bought my first A/C cab machine in 2001.

  7. #7tmc_312014-04-13 21:44

    Ha, thanks for posting the pic John, it does make me feel better. Ya know, the two skids I had before this one were both open cab. I can't remember getting that dirty running them. I guess that it's just that I have gotten spoiled with the enclosed cab, AC & heat. CM yeah, I have way more time in the open ones as I bought my first skid in 05 and the L190 I have now I got only 2 years ago. I remember the first time I ran a skid I had rented one to move some piles of dirt on a job up in Lubbock Tx. It was one of those crappy windy hazy days and I ate more dirt than I moved. I hated that thing and swore I would never get in another one. That was in about 03. I am taking the door to have new glass put in tomorrow so hopefully I'll just have one more day of "fun in the filth". Gorman, I haven't priced the Lexan door yet. I thought I would look around a bit. I wonder if it would be worthwhile to have a piece of lexan cut to fit my door or if it would crack at the milled down edges? Tim

  8. #8cartzblown94z2014-04-13 22:51

    I made my own from plexiglass. Has some scratches from use but works great and was way cheaper than a new one from the dealer !!!

  9. #9jsinpa2014-04-15 10:10

    Hey Tim... You'll have to let me know as well how much they charged you for the glass...That's actually my families business, a glazing contractor...despite me doing all the other things I do ....I'm actually thinking I can get better pricing on the glass or even lexan or plexiglass...Honestly, you know what you could do is get the laminated safety impact glass which I think is what they use in the forestry package on machines...IF anyone knows if I'm correct with that statement, I can probably find out what or where to get it for you. Josh

  10. #10tmc_312014-04-17 00:34

    Well, I got my door fixed yesterday. Installed it today shore was nice:drinkup. Apparently the original glass was tempered glass. They replaced it with laminated glass (like car windshield glass). I still don't know how much it cost me . I did ask them if they could install a lexan insert and they quoted me $231 (installed) for a 1/4" insert that would be a direct replacement for the glass in my door. My NH dealer can order a lexan replacement that will fit in my door (it mounts a little differently than the glass). It makes a demolition door. I am still trying to get an answer as to how thick the one from NH is. You guys that run lexan demolition or forestry doors, how thick is the lexan? Is it even worthwhile to put in 1/4" lexan? Tim

  11. #113X82014-04-17 08:28

    I just made this door for mine and put 3/16 Lexan in it, I paid 70 bux for a piece 32"x48" shipped from Ebay. It cuts really easily with a power saw and a normal construction blade, it doesn't chip at all. The worst part is getting the paper off the Lexan :Banghead

  12. #12tmc_312014-04-17 09:00

    That looks good 3/8, does that go on your 565? Tim

  13. #133X82014-04-17 12:14

    Yes! It had the side glass and it was missing the door.

  14. #14old-iron-habit2014-04-17 12:53

    Not sure about all the machines but many have lexan. Some quite thick.

  15. #15mbb2014-04-17 23:00

    I have a Case machine with cab that I purchased several years ago that was supposedly rated as forestry equipped setup. The Lexan door is at least 5/8" inch thick. I have never had anything scary happen with the door on, but it is brutal to see through when working into the sun. I will say if anyone here has intentions of running a Fecon bullhog or comparible rig, you better know that your door is overly sufficient. You could be rolling the dice with a serious accident if your door is sub-standard.