Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bad Dream

stepsideclyde ยท 2008-08-23 07:41

Hey guys, kinda a new guy here, with some questions. Had a dream last night, about a loader operator that had a heart attack in the cab of his machine. I experienced shear terror, as I had no knowledge of how to get him out of the loader. This morning, I have racked my brain, trying to figure out how I would accomplish this if it happened in real life. Other than securing the machine (i.e. brakes locked, boom down, Engine off) i can not get any farther than this. Do any of you guys drill these types of situations? Discuss it at safety meetings? Or , God forbid, lived it? Any help would go great lengths to put my mind at ease. Oh, and as an after thought, do any of you have an auto difib on site? thanx tc

Replies4
  1. #1curly2008-08-23 13:52

    Probably depends on the size of the loader. I imagine you would just have to get your arms under his, drag him out of the cab and have another loader perpendicular to you, preferably with a gurney in the bucket. Have a helper grab his legs and swing him onto the gurney and there you go! Of course, I'd hate to be the guy doing that work and to be honest it may be difficult to find an operator to use that same machine a guy died in.

  2. #2Jake2008-08-23 14:36

    one good push...just kidding Real story: Last year while driving to work I saw a tri axle dump cross the center lane and graze a power pole. I stopped to help along with other people. It took four of us to get the guy out of the truck. When I climbed into the passenger side of the truck the guy was laying on the floor and was blue in the face. Another guy had goten in the drivers door and between the two of us we had a time getting the guy off the floor and towards the drivers door. There were other people on the ground to help get the guy down from the truck, and start CPR. I went on my way to work but never heard if he made it or not. It shows how complete strangers can come together to work toward a goal, that being to help someone in need.

  3. #3dumptrucker2008-08-23 14:48

    I work for a municipality in the winter months and we have practiced this drill. It is not easy to say the least. We also have a auto difib machine at the shop.

  4. #4bear2008-08-26 21:45

    It's not fun. Had an experience from a guy buying hay from my grandmother that turned out well. Small barn and no easy way in. about impossible to get him out. used a chainsaw and cut a hole in the front of the loft and lowered guy with the bucket on the tractor.