Back again with a new issue. Model: 99 555E 4x4 2900 hrs I've been using this backhoe to do all the grading needed for our new home. Yesterday while doing some light work I heard a high pitched whinning from the fuel pump area and then heard what I assume was the lifters clacking/ratting. I started to get down and check it out but the noise quit. 10 minutes later I heard the same noises and turned off the hoe. Since then I have had issues priming it and getting it running. Some basic things I've noticed are that the fuel pump seems to be running at a slower pace If I knock on it with a wrench it will pick up speed and vary it's output. All this started happening one day when I was doing some work on a spot that canted the machine downhill and to the left with a 1/4 tank It died at that spot and so I cleaned out the sediment bowl. re-primed the injection pump...got it running again but since then it will run for 15 minutes then die. I've also noticed that the hoe has less power Could this be the fuel pump starting to fail?
If it's starving for fuel maybe try pulling a fuel line off and blowing back into the tank . I think the pump is either going to work or not work unless it's electric with a loose wire. btw I'm just guessing. Your symptoms sound like a blockage at the tank intake something in the tank.
Are you talking about an electric lift pump? or a camshaft driven lift pump? or? Definitely sounds like a blockage or bad electric pump.
If you installed a small engine filter in the line going to the sediment bowl try replacing that. If not check inside the banjo bolt on the sediment bowl and replace the filter under the lift pump.
Thanks for the replies. Mine has the electric fuel pump at the head of the water separator filter. I blew out the lines and that seems to have fixed it.
The banjo bolt that connects the fuel line from the tank to the sediment bowl was notorious for plugging up on my 555E. It now has a small inline filter just upstream of the banjo bolt. I buy them from Amazon by the dozen for about a buck a piece. I now carry a box of em under the truck seat. Good luck John