Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bad ground damages expensive components

TVA · 2019-02-28 21:44

I wonder how much of this going on on contemporary equipment full of solenoids and electronics. Engine guys I think very well aware about 5s liner phenomenon. Eddy or Foucault Currents.

Replies13
  1. #1mg23612019-03-01 05:38

    As our shop's electrical specialist I can't tell you how many times our other tech's ignore grounds in their diagnostics. While I have not seen issues as bad as in the video I have seen my fair share of failures caused by bad grounds. The mention of liners is a good one. Many guys will use a hydrometer and see -34 deg and assume the coolant is good. They might even use a dipstick test but most of them only show temp range and chemical conditions and not the PH level (we now have dipsticks that check PH in our shop). I try to teach our guys to actually check the voltage ( if they don't have the PH dipstick) of the coolant to determine if the PH is too low (acidic). A reading of approx 0.3 V or higher with the engine at 2000 rpm is too much. Disconnect the battery then measure again. If still 0.3 V then the coolant is basically becoming battery acid. If 0.0 V then there is a bad ground. I think grounds are one if the most overlooked areas in our field.

  2. #2TVA2019-03-01 05:55

    Just recently came across some information on ground to ground voltage testing as diagnostic procedure, still little murky on the subject but will get more educated on it! Totally agree with you - ground issues get overlooked very often!!!

  3. #3TVA2019-03-01 06:00

    Another thing about fifth liner - it’s right there where the ECM is on most computer controlled engines, when you do your in frame and pull all your liners, most of the time all but one look good on the outside. But the fifth one looks like it was shot up by machine gun. I’ve even seen couple that had through holes and leaking coolant to the oil.

  4. #4LowBoy2019-03-01 15:41

    I'm about to get the head off of my 7FB 3406B Cat and find out what went wrong on me, putting compression into the coolant system. 99% of the time it's a head gasket failure on these engines, and more elaborately caused by a "sunken" liner, or even a couple of them. I am looking forward to doing this inframe overhaul, and cutting the deck and shimming liners. Going to be good as new. Common problems caused by bad or no grounds I've found over the years have been directed to the coolant systems, especially the radiator itself. I keep 2 clean grounds to the radiator always. The #5 liner phenomenon; I am a bit curious myself as to why #5 is more prone to erosion/electrolysis than the others on a mechanical engine though...any thoughts on this?

  5. #5TVA2019-03-01 16:06

    Well! My theory goes out of window on mechanical engines! I had couple of 3406/C15s and one thing about them is they like to overheat! I did heavy haul ( 105,500#) and mostly mountain driving in Washington and Oregon. I was quite relieved when I switched to N14. At least I didn’t have to put on both heaters on full blast in 105F weather and climb the pass sweating like it’s my last day on earth! But lots of torque out of those CATs!

  6. #6laycobeau2019-03-01 16:13

    If you get a dash or relay problem that makes no sense at all nine times out of ten, It's a ground problem.

  7. #7TVA2019-03-01 16:19

    Absolutely agree, if something doesn’t make sense - first thing to check is ground!!!

  8. #8LowBoy2019-03-02 07:52

    I don't have any lights or codes to look at in my 1978's, LOL. I am a Cummins fan thru and thru, after 40 years of nothing but heartaches from a Cat, and nothing but good service out of a Cummins. All in the individual's opinion I know; but that's been my experience over time. Cummins always been a lot less money to deal with having 3 heads instead of that one big chunk of iron. Overheating isn't really a normal function, unless something's wrong or undersized. I solved that problem by re-coring radiators with another row of tubes over the years. More surface area for cooling...more cooling. I'm still curious about the #5 cylinder scoring more commonly than the others in a mechanical engine. Is it a lack of oil/lubrication issue, or some electrolysis going on right there I wonder?

  9. #9TVA2019-03-02 15:06

    I have a theory that #5 is hottest running cylinder because it’s far from water pump, and #6 has another wall to be little cooler running then #5.

  10. #10Birken Vogt2019-03-02 18:00

    I've heard that theory too. Don't know if I believe it completely.

  11. #11Wes J2019-03-02 18:31

    I don't know how anyone can watch that Powerstroke help guy. I can't make it 5 seconds into one of his videos.

  12. #12Birken Vogt2019-03-02 20:01

    He is a businessman and a salesman and his videos are intended to get the average truck owner all excited about how much he needs his services, so that he comes to him. He even said so in the early videos. His product may be a little overkill, but when I was attempting to understand what goes on inside these motors, his videos really show the guts and nuts and bolts with a pretty good explanation, better than anything I have seen from anybody else on the inside of V8 Powerstroke engines. I don't remember seeing anything blatantly wrong either, although I only watched the ones that interested me.

  13. #13Truck Shop2019-03-02 20:35

    On any gas engine 4, 6 or V8 when mic-ing the cylinders there is always more wear on the front cylinders -run cooler, more deposits. #5 on a diesel does ten to run slightly hotter. Check manifold temps with a infrared gun after one has just come off the highway. Ports #4 & #5 can be warmer than the rest right at the exit point from the head. On 855's the water ports next to counter bore on #5 will normally be the problem child. Knew a logger in Bow Hill, Wa. that had a 65 Pete butterfly without the sides on the hood. He had a twin turbo 475 Cummins in it that was Jacked. At night those turbos would glow, you could light a cigarette off them if you could stand the heat.