Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bad Product of the Day.

hosspuller · 2018-09-14 00:00

Anybody want to sit around a campfire breathing Zinc fumes ? An over priced galvanized fire ring available at Tractor Supply …

Replies32
  1. #1Ronsii2018-09-14 00:29

    Wonder what brilliant marketer thought up that one.... LOL

  2. #2Wytruckwrench2018-09-14 11:21

    It wont rust! Hahaha

  3. #3John C.2018-09-14 12:36

    Not till after the fire goes out anyway.

  4. #4kshansen2018-09-14 12:39

    If anyone does not understand the concern about a zinc coated fire ring read this: https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/81-123/pdfs/0675.pdf Just wonder what I could have sold all the old 12:00X24 rims we had on the old Macks at the quarry for?

  5. #5Delmer2018-09-14 13:58

    Ow Ken, those will only sicken a few of the people that sit around them, the rest it's just good for their gonads. Perfect marketing in my opinion, they probably came from a culvert maker who had that material on hand, and the galvanizing is perfect for keeping them looking nice until they're sold.

  6. #6hosspuller2018-09-14 14:10

    Delmer … Perfect marketing to the suburban ignorant that doesn't know the dangers. You've given me the reason to post this where more people would see it... Consumer Product Safety Commission

  7. #7Welder Dave2018-09-15 01:54

    They should change the name to Zinc Chill Generator and add a 0 to the price. These should be removed from shelves and the manufacturer fined. Only thing worse would be if they were cadmium plated.

  8. #8thepumpguysc2018-09-15 04:56

    You joke about the big rig tire rims.. EVERY campground I've ever been to, has those rims for a fire pit..

  9. #9kshansen2018-09-15 07:56

    I know! Just wish I could sell those old rusty rims for $50 each! Wait that's not rust it's "Patina" just calling it that should double the price Heck, maybe leave the tires on them and call them mosquito proof fire pits!

  10. #10thepumpguysc2018-09-15 08:09

    We had 1 at work w/ a post welded to it & a BIG grinder/wire wheel on it.. mobile.. but sturdy as hell.. I used to cut up a 55gallon drum, about 2ft up/down, for a small burn barrel.. very similar to the 1 shown.

  11. #11Wes J2018-09-15 08:54

    We always used old tractor rims, the open center kind. Weld a few together and make a real fire.

  12. #12td25c2018-09-16 20:22

    I like a 20" truck wheel for small campfire . We tested out the " Ozark Trail Teepee tent " last night . https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-7-Person-Teepee-Tent/942380995 Pretty happy with it given the cost & quick setup & take down . Truck wheel did great as well . " Tell us a ghost story Andy "

  13. #1392U 34062018-09-17 00:42

    Crusher cones make awesome fire pits.

  14. #14thepumpguysc2018-09-17 04:53

    That's a pretty slick tent set-up TD.. basically a 12x12 for 50.00.. ya never see tee-pee tents anymore..

  15. #15Jeckyl19202018-09-17 06:46

    Those are labeled wrong. In cali they are water troughs for goats or beer buckets. Maybe due to prop 65, they can't get away with that here.

  16. #16hosspuller2018-09-17 08:05

    Won't hold water, these rings are open on the bottom.

  17. #17Ronsii2018-09-17 09:12

    That's the new 'california' natural water recycling version

  18. #18td25c2018-09-17 20:57

    I tell ya what … Gotta give a thumbs up on Ozark trail teepee tent ! Sets up quick & easy . Self supporting tent with a lot of room for the cost . It has " guy ropes " on the sides but did not use them . 3 kids running around after dark would only trip over them or demolish the tent . LOL ! Ok kids …… It's 2 AM in the morning …… Hit the sack as the old man needs the rest .

  19. #19Jeckyl19202018-09-18 12:43

    Wow..... We use old washing machine drums. My grandpa added threaded steel pipe fittings to the bottom of his for legs so he could have it normal size during storage.

  20. #20ianjoub2018-09-18 14:14

    I made my fire pit out of expanded metal. It is more open than the washing machine drum. It breather nicely and give off a ton of heat.

  21. #21thepumpguysc2018-09-18 17:30

    Expanded metal?? I love the washer idea.. & LOOKS KOOL too.

  22. #22ianjoub2018-09-18 18:09

    https://www.google.com/search?q=exp...AUIDygC&biw=1252&bih=868#imgrc=GnqTDxakWNzGDM :

  23. #23kshansen2018-09-18 18:11

    Please tell me you don't use that drum while it is sitting on that wooden deck!

  24. #24Jeckyl19202018-09-18 18:17

    Lol, that's not mine, but it is similar.

  25. #25td25c2018-09-18 19:03

    That's a petty cool idea !

  26. #26Welder Dave2018-09-20 01:41

    I don't know if the coating (ceramic?) on a washer drum would give off bad fumes or not?

  27. #27Nige2018-09-20 04:42

    x2 If the coating on the old drum was enamel then it most probably would give off some pretty nasty fumes, if it was a stainless steel drum then likely not ............

  28. #28thepumpguysc2018-09-20 07:29

    A new gas can.. I thought I've seen'm all.. Nope.. Wife comes home w/ a new 5 gal can.. I TOLD HER> IF IT DOESNT HAVE A 2nd HANDLE, DONT GET IT.. we had a 10 min. conversation about "IT".. AND.. I ran her down while she was getting in the car>> NO HANDLE.. DONT GET IT.. She comes home w/ 1 that has a "bump-out" on the bottom.. You can "steady the can" but dam sure not pick it up.. I lost my kool.!! & had to apologize this morning.. {It was either that or suffer} SO>> Gas cans..

  29. #29old-iron-habit2018-09-20 17:41

    I used worn out 1926 Caterpillar 30 track pads welded together. The old 12-38 tractor wheel in the background got replaced. Took a lot of fires to burn it out but we did. Grating are two different types, both stainless.

  30. #30Jeckyl19202018-09-23 12:25

    Washer drums are ceramic coated. Maybe mild stainless underneath it. They do rust after the coating cracks, but not much. Probably more if sitting in water. We take some care of them. I was never around a brand new one, so I wouldn't know about fumes. I know my moms still has most of the coating, and we used to use it all the time.

  31. #31Steve Bowman2019-02-24 14:21

    I like the dozer pads. I have a couple of big fire rings made from a cracked 992 wheel that I split. Almost too big, and they do tent to sink into the ground over time. Not many like them, however.

  32. #32DIYDAVE2019-02-26 19:17

    If you like the dozer pads, you'll love the one Mel built... https://www.allischalmers.com/forum...-chalmers-barbque-pit-fire-ri_topic41061.html