Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bad winter

Old Doug ยท 2020-11-23 08:50

I stocked up on freeze plugs.

Replies12
  1. #1grandpa2020-11-23 10:57

    Must not get very cold there, those are tiny frost plugs.

  2. #2CM19952020-11-23 20:48

    What's a freeze plug?

  3. #3Old Doug2020-11-23 22:05

    The only reason they are called freeze plugs is if your engine freezes bad they will pop out and fall to the ground then you need new ones to go in a new block.

  4. #4kenh2020-11-23 23:14

    Very few people know the original purpose in the engine . Sometimes the will hold and the blocks around them. (in years past anyway)

  5. #556wrench2020-11-24 10:39

    i was taught they are actually core plugs but around here we usually call them frost plugs

  6. #6Mike L2020-11-24 18:31

    I thought they were actually to get the sand out of the block after casting.

  7. #7Willie B2020-11-24 19:20

    I believe manufacturers bore holes in your engine, place these leak makers to encourage you to trade for newer vehicles. I reject that they get sand out of a casting & I utterly reject that they relieve frozen blocks. Only good thing ever made from a "freeze plug" is a hole to put a tea cup heater in.

  8. #8kenh2020-11-24 22:44

    Yup, to aid in the removal of sand. AKA soft plugs

  9. #9terex herder2020-11-26 12:17

    No, it's not to get the sand out, but that is a secondary benefit. The sand core that forms the water jacket has to be held in a precise position. It has extensions that are called core prints that are used to hold the core in the proper position. Those holes are where the core prints extend to the outer mold.

  10. #10Mike L2020-11-26 17:07

    Well there. I learned something new today

  11. #11Truck Shop2020-11-26 17:13

    And the Ford 427 were threaded no soft plugs. Which some were lost to freezing.

  12. #12Tinkerer2020-11-27 10:09

    Me to ! But, I had to Google --- core print casting. Because i never heard of it before.