Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bandit 1680

MattB · 2018-06-22 23:30

Does anyone have any experience with the bandit 1680 or the Morbark 2600. I’m looking at the chipper drum option since everything we’re generating from the tree service is clean, no metal and very little dirt. I’m just wondering if the 1680 or 2600 can deal with chunky wood? We take out lots of huge dead pines and oaks and buck them to firewood lengths just so we can move them. Can I put a 4’ diameter round of wood in that grinder or am I pushing my luck? Why not get something bigger? We generate about 100-200 yds a week of chunked wood, my tipping fees would be close the the cost of a small machine. I’d be feeding it with a 9000lb mini excavator. I’d just prefer to buy the smallest equipment that can do the job. Thanks for reading if you’ve got this far.

Replies13
  1. #1lumberjack2018-06-22 23:50

    The 1680 has a rated 18” capacity... You could split the wood for grinding, but that’s a big job for a mini setup.

  2. #2MattB2018-06-23 02:47

    I’ve got a wood cracker. I’ve been using it for processing logs to go through a 15” chipper. Getting into the much bigger wood I think it would be easier to just “buck 18’s”.

  3. #3lumberjack2018-06-23 09:14

    What about a 2090 or 20XP with an indeed table vs a grinder? I assume cost per hour and per yard would favor the chipper, plus it’s easier to transport if a job allowed leaving the chips on site. Here’s how I handle most of our tree debris. The first was a 3 tree job on a farm, the second was a small pile on my property. I have a site on the other side of town where I can get rid of material for $1.5/yard.

  4. #4MattB2018-06-23 11:08

    I'm looking at the 20xp. It has half the chipping drum width as a 1680 so the really big wood will still be a pain to process. With an infeed table my guess is that chipper is going to run close to $200k new. A used 1680 is probably just slightly less than that. I wonder what the difference in maintenance is? Lumberjack....btw, I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area Air Quality Control Area. If I torched off a pile like that they'd call out the swat team.

  5. #5lumberjack2018-06-23 12:30

    I saw you were in Cali and knew burning wasn’t an option. The drum is more narrow, but the opening is a third or so taller. Knives cut more efficiently than teeth grind (could get knives for the Bandit). I also thought some of the processing could occur at the job vs back at the yard. I was a dealer for Terex until they dropped the Woodsman line. The 790 has a 36” wide drum with a 21” tall throat. $149k list price with a 250hp T4i and a 6’ infeed conveyor. $9800 added a hydraulic discharge chute and wireless remote. $3400 bumped it to 275hp, T4i.

  6. #6MattB2018-06-23 18:46

    Ok this is more like it. I’ve never seen one of these before. Thanks.

  7. #7lumberjack2018-06-23 19:37

    They’re no longer made, but it gives you the idea. There weren’t many t4i made, no t4f that I know of.

  8. #8MattB2018-06-23 19:43

    You sent me down an interesting rabbit hole. The Morbark M20R with an infeed table looks to be the closest thing in production these days. It's 30" wide instead of 36" and weighs in at almost 17k instead of 13k. Looks to be approx. $150k. Thinking, thinking...

  9. #9lumberjack2018-06-23 19:44

    Here’s a walk around video I shot back in late 2014.

  10. #10lumberjack2018-06-23 19:50

    I never weighed a 790, but I wouldn’t put a huge amount of stock in the listed weight. Don’t be afraid to look at small whole tree chippers.

  11. #11MattB2018-06-23 20:02

    Could you try to repost?

  12. #12lumberjack2018-06-23 21:52
  13. #13lumberjack2018-06-23 21:53

    S eems to be auto embedding.