Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Basement Digging

skyhightree1 ยท 2009-08-25 11:06

Does anyone here dig basements out with backhoes ? I am finding most you a excavator. I own a tree service business and have a backhoe that I use for numerous things such as footings and im good with using the backhoe but wondered if any of you guys out there use backhoes for a basement dig. Can anyone give me any pointers to this ? Is this something thats gonna take a long time ? I am digging a walkout basement 26' x 58'. Be gentle:beatsme

Replies19
  1. #1bill onthehill2009-08-25 14:06

    Dig the overdig around the perimeter first. Start at the walkout end and work your way back to the ditch you dug. It is a slow process but I have done a 36X72 one. It involves a lot of moving and repositioning. If you have a skidsteer or dozer to push off the spoils it helps a lot. Not the easiest way but it can be done. If a backhoe is all you have and you have the time, go for it.

  2. #2skyhightree12009-08-25 14:27

    Thanks I appreciate you help on that just trying to find the best approach to digging it out. It is going to be a walkout basement so I will create a ramp to go down in there after i have dug out a good size hole im guessing is the best way im not pro but trying to plan it out in my head.

  3. #3stock2009-08-25 14:43

    I agree with Bill onthehill very doable with a bit of planning,I have never done a basement as they are not very common in my neck of the woods,but lets just say earlier in my career I have excavated many a dung stead with a mf50b of larger size than 8mx16m,so look at it ,plan it,and execute it .

  4. #4JDOFMEMI2009-08-25 15:02

    Yep, you can do it. Just a matter of time. I would make sure to get the biggest bucket I could on the digging end. If you do not have another machine to move the spoils with, set up at an angle to your digging so you can get the spoils farther away. That will let you dig out a bigger pile before you have to use the front end to carry the spoils off with. I have dug pits up to 12' x 40' x as much as 12' deep with a 580 Case for utility vaults and septic tanks before. Takes time, but you can use what you own instead of paying rent on a trackhoe.

  5. #5RonG2009-08-25 15:11

    If I have to dig a basement with a backhoe I try to arrange to have a truck and load it out to get it out of my way.Even if you can use it on site it is a big help to have a truck to move it with.Ron G

  6. #6stock2009-08-25 15:27

    A backhoe and six ton site dumper should do the job the nicest Use the backhoe to dig compacted clay/soil and the front bucket to clean up.

  7. #7skyhightree12009-08-25 15:33

    Thanks all I could use my single axle dump to put that dirt in and move it around? I wonder would it be best to get hole started in basement on side i plan on walking out and driving backhoe in and use the loader part to dig out bigger pieces of dirt or should i use the hoe only and not worry about trying to dig out within the basement

  8. #8bill onthehill2009-08-25 16:50

    If you don't dig it loose with the hoe first all you will do is wear your tires out real quick. Since you say you have a dump truck I would dig what I could load in the truck all the way around the perimeter and then work my way in from the walkout. Dig it loose, turn around and front bucket to take it out to the truck. Don't haul it too far as you will need a fair amount to backfill(more than you think).

  9. #9skyhightree12009-08-25 17:28

    Thanks... bill.... I hope I can do this in a 10hr time period... I dont want to be sitting on this think for days

  10. #10special tool2009-08-25 20:01

    10 hours? Well, I am a foundation contractor, and I would listen to Ron G if I were you - a truck and a hoe are a good combination. But....I think you are being optimistic at 10 hours with a 180 degree backhoe - how deep is this basement? If it is an average 8 feet, you are looking at 446 yards BANK, now add about 20% when you remove it from its home. That's around 535 yards...... If you can dig 535 yards and respect the dimensions (without overdigging) and get the floor level in 10 hours with a BACKHOE, I will personally fly down there and buy you lunch, dinner and a case of beer.:tong

  11. #11dayexco2009-08-25 20:10

    dug hundreds of basements with backhoes "755 ford" and excavators....forget the "dig theperimeter b.s."....dig the tall side first, one where you're going to have biggest spoil pile....might have to shove it around a bit...with any basement dig...don't paint yourself into a corner.

  12. #12skyhightree12009-08-25 20:47

    Funny... I guess better either pay someone with excavator to come in or either take a couple days and dig the basement yes the basement is 8' deep. I appreciate all the imput you all give me I am a tree man and I clear lots and occasionally dig holes for septic tanks and dig them out so I have no clue how to really go about the basement task.

  13. #13D5G2009-08-26 09:31

    The bigger the bucket, the better. The biggest buckets made are the 'ford' style buckets, they are massive (see my pic below)

  14. #14skyhightree12009-08-26 12:02

    lol i see you got extendahoe... I don't so will make lil bit harder on me

  15. #15D5G2009-08-26 17:08

    yea, not having e-hoe will make it a little tougher, but it shouldn't be too bad.

  16. #16skyhightree12009-08-26 19:37

    yep... I will " git er done " sooner or later

  17. #17dogboneshd2009-08-26 20:22

    If you follow what the pros said I know you'll do a good job. take lots of pictures and post them up good luck

  18. #18skyhightree12009-08-27 09:04

    I will definately post pics up and thanks to everyone for there input... I needed it and really appreciated it I will definately post pics in later part of september is when im starting the project.. Thanks again

  19. #19nicetoy2013-09-12 08:36

    I know this is an old thread, just thought I'd throw an opinion out there since I just got done doing this exact thing, and someone might search this thread out. I just got done (last night) digging a 32x52 walkout with a Deere 410C. Certainly the 180 degree thing is a pain, and you have to re-position alot, but it's def do-able. I dug a hole at the deepest point first, then dug into the walkout until I got to my hole, it helped to keep everything level and not dig too deep. I had the luxury of a dozer to push the loose spoils out of the walkout.