Looks like I need new batteries in Champion 730A. It used to start almost instantly even at -20C. The couple times I've used in the last couple month's I've had to boost it. I kind of cleaned the batteries and cables and it didn't make a difference in starting. I say kind of because the brass battery cable end didn't completely clean up with the reamer tool I have. I did manage to scrap some clean shiny spots though. I shut the master switch off after parking the grader. Today I measured the batteries and they only had 8.24 volts so definitely toast. I'm wondering if bad battery cable connections can drain batteries when the master switch is off? The cable ends seem much better than they were. I'm thinking the batteries just decided to suddenly go South?
It seems like a continuous circle for us. 12 months is all we get from a new battery. They drop a cell and won’t start next morning. 30 years ago they would last a decade. The Chinese are literally laughing at us.
That would be disappointing… In some of my dads tractors the battery’s last 15 years… Only takes one freeze when they are dead and they are done. Even low battery’s don’t last long.
I'm trying some Ramcar batteries made in the Philippines. 35% cheaper than the lowest price I could find and the same warranty. Got a great review from someone on Bob is the oil guy's site.
With everything off, if you disconnect negative cable off your battery and touch it to the negative post,if you see a small spark it is drawing quite alot. At that point if you put your meter in series, you can see how much it is parasitic drawing. It would tell you your master switch is failing. If you have never done this I will explain how it is done. Could also be that the batteries are just junk. Also if 1 battery is junk on a 2 battery starting system, it will suck down the other. Now both are junk especially if they froze. Simon C
The grader used to start right up so I figured I'll just put new batteries in and be done with it. The tractor barely turned over so I figured for $100 it's worth getting a new battery. If I hadn't have found the new batteries for $99.50 I might not have got one for the tractor. Next lowest price was $155 a battery. I'll find out how long the Philippine battery last and if I made a good decision.
I normally get Interstate or John Deere battery’s and only had a few problems.
JD are supposed to be good batteries but a little pricey. Not as pricey as Cat though.
I worked at a mine taking care of 2 Cat 3412 Gen Sets for 4.5 years. We were going through batteries every couple months not including starters. We installed 2 starters and new Cat premium batteries and never changed a battery or starter again for 4 years. How much did the batteries from Cat cost compared to the Delco Remies or Interstates.? Worked on 3 Cat 980H loaders that had original batteries after 6-7500 hours. Their batteries weigh a lot more, mainly way beafier plates inside. We only buy what we can afford, But my experience is better batteries are easier on starters also, and last way longer than cheap ones. John Deere makes pretty good ones also. I have used some premium Napa batteries, and premium Interstate batteries. It all depends. Simon C