where do you guys, that do in house battery cable stuff buy your supplies, crimpers,wire, clamps ?
Polar Wire
TEMCo Industrial LLC temcoindustrial.com I usually buy though their eBay store. Have a couple of their crimpers, and use their welding wire for any cables I build.
Dell City ( www.delcity.net )
Their shipping is crazy expensive.
That maybe due to you location but to me in pa I think it was 15 bucks the last time I ordered from them
It's often more than the product when I've checked. Wasn't much better when I lived in Idaho
I'll have to pay more attention next time im shopping there maybe it slipped under my nose
Polar Wire Products is always the correct answer. https://polarwire.com/
Always correct for Alaska or good for the lower 48 also?
welding wire is ok for battery cables?
I always preferred welding cable, more flexible and if my high school science classes were right the finer strands actually are able to carry more amps for the same cross section.
has far has wire size range, will 2/0 cover most applications or do you think I need to have a bunch of different size wire on hand? was thinking of getting a roll red and black 2/0 then a couple rolls 14ga for lights, control wiring
Is this the best crimper if a guy is going to go for broke? CRIMPER 6GA-4/0 LUGS TRI-FORM BENCH MOUNT Our rugged, ultra-flexible 100% copper wire is widely used and PROVEN in some of the coldest climates on earth! Top quality wiring supplies. Shop online! store.polarwire.com
Looks like it. About Us – pwcorporate
Problem I've seen with welding cable is when corrosion gets started, it flies through like fire through dry grass.
has far has crimpers is the try- form better then the indent type?
Shipping is free on an order over $50.00
Of course, but the indent type still works fine. Just need to do it all proper and heat shrink to prevent corrosion. What style cable ends are you looking at? Actual crimped terminal cable ends or crimped lugs to marine terminals?
They are in the lesser 48 too
was going to buy the tempo indent type multi crimper that just threads in out for adjustment said it will crimp the feral on bigger battery connections
I carry the big blue one (TH0012) and a hammer style (TH0007) with me. Use each according to access/space and whether I'm building cables onsite or just replacing an end.
I am a cheapskate. I use copper pipe to make terminals for heavy cable like for batteries or welding. Strip back the insulation. Find some copper pipe that will slip over the copper wires. Make sure the inside of the pipe is shiny (i use a grinding wheel on a fake dremel) Slip the pipe over the cable with the cable flush with the end of the pipe. Put it in a hydraulic press (30 tonne is plenty) and squash the end flat. Drill your hole and shape the end to suit on a grinder or belt sander.
Just use hammer lug welding cable lugs. Not expensive and made to be pounded with a hammer. They work really well.