Here is an old grade steam shovel missing the boiler, it's around the Holberg area North Van Isle. (note the quad track) I meet a guy in camp and he gave me/us some cool pics to post. Oh ya still around no time lately for HEF
A few more Vancouver Island and Central Coast
For the Truckers These Trucks are on an Island just off Port Hardy
Nice. Is that an old Lima shovel in Post #2?
How's the driving record for that driver? You might need to check with the motor vehicle department to check on that young mans record........looks a smite bit young, but he does look eager to get haulin'...... Thanks for the great pictures........I love the old Iron.....the men that ran those old beasts had to be real men.....Thanks again
Bush Bones Taken recent. http://youtube.com/user/skadill
Madill 009 What they become,when the work is all done. http://youtube.com/user/skadill
Waiting for the barge that never came This old steam pot is at the head of Seymore Inlet BC. I stole this pic from google earth one off my buds was telling me about it but never made it there...
More logging junk from an old Railway show in the Seymore Inlet area, they us to lower the railcars into the Ocean to dump...
More you can see the rail trcks going into the ocean in the one pic..
What I like most about the old iron is how we "laded waste" to the forest and look at it now . Rich, diverse and green with the patina of old equipment sprinkled among it. Suck on that Greenpeace.
Fixed the typo fer ya.
More Shoreline Finds These are cousin photos to the above ones by Murk.Same area.Taken 10 years ago,by an old logger I know.Last photo must be the same boat
one more same boat
Truck Graveyard Walk through video at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQHKZjV46Cs&list=UUXUrfE0iAXFp8qfKNBQhrLA&index=1&feature=plcp
Skadill Some time ago I gave the guys the heads up about a guys site--Very interesting go to adventuresinmikeslife.blogspot.com Well worth looking at cause he has updated it. Did you see his boot tracks around there???
We've been on iron finds together,and will be doing more too.Theres a small few of us eccentrics,happy to get the material.
Can't remember the name of these, Osa's I think. They were working in the late 80's. Now the poplar trees are growing up through them.
Stuff from around From 1993 to last week.
They kinda look like the old Washington Feller Buncher with rubber tires insted of tracks.
'Has Been' Skidders Recent pics.
Thanks all for posting these great sites! Dream vacation type o stuff!
Interesting to see the 670 fb again. The swedish manufacturer ÖSA (Östbergs Smidjesfabrik AB = Ö Blacksmith Inc - and btw the Ö = Ø and is pronounced like the "i" in "first") was early and leading in developing the hydrostatic transmissions on wheeled forest machines. Their first production models was in fact the 270 leveling chassi (the chassis for the 670 fb seen on the pictures) and maybe WIW adopted ÖSA's ideas for their FB. The machine was clearly futuristic and clearly utilized close to ALL opportunities the hydraulics could give. It also clearly was an answer to ÖSA's recently ended relationship with Volvo Bolinder Munktel, which at that time, besides Kockum, was belong the biggest manufacturers of spesialized forest machines in the world (Volvo BM would never take the step to hydrostatic driven machines, and sold later their forest machine division to Valmet) Later in the 70's ÖSA intoduced the 260 forwarder, two grip harvester, clambunk skidder etc, this was the first functional all hydrostatic driven forwarder. Many of these machines are still in use. In Sweden and Scandinavia the 670 were used together with the Kockum or Volvo Logmas's (boom delimbing machines that was the predecessor to today's american stroke delimers) or they worked with early processors as the Volvo 985. Since the mainstream realtively fast went to two grip harvesting machines (they both falled, delimbed and CTL) these machines only had a relatively shortlived era from the late 70's until mid 80's. Because of the relatively complexity of the hydraulics, and the usefulness, only a few manufacturers have produced leveling wheeled harvesters. This is ÖSA, Skogsjan => CAT => Ecolog and Konrad Forsttechnik in Austria. ÖSA was later, about 1989, obtained by the Finish corporation Rauma Repola and FMG (Forestry Machinery Group) was formed which also included the forest machine division of Kockum and the Finish forest machine producer LOKOMO. Shortly after also Bruun Systems of smaller forwarder and harvesters was included in FMG. In fact it seems LOKOMO had the greatest influence on todays Timberjack and John Deere machines, but most of the basics came from the pioner ÖSA. For those interested in this history the book "En smedjas förvandling" aka the development of a blacksmith is highly recomended, I think FMG felt so international at that time they even published an english version. Try contacting John Deere Forestry in Sweden, they may still have a stock of it. Around 1994 FMG bought the Canadian skidder producer Timberjack and also changed the brand name but not the colour of the machines. An internal evaluation at FMG/Timberjack came to that the green colour used by ÖSA first in the early 80's was more environmentally friendly than the orange of Timberjack. Later on TJ was bought by John Deere Corp and they only needed a slightly change of colours. Here's some interesting links: http://app.elmia.se/classic/files/osa270basmaskin1973.pdf http://app.elmia.se/classic/files/osa670fäll1977.pdf http://app.elmia.se/classic/files/osa705260deng1976.pdf http://app.elmia.se/classic/files/volvobm985processor1975.pdf http://app.elmia.se/classic/files/volvobm971skot1972.pdf http://app.elmia.se/classic/files/volvobm995falllagg1976.pdf more files at http://www.elmia.se/en/skogselmia/For-fair-visitors/Elmia-Classics/
Forgotten in the Forest Recent Finds.Video look at: http://youtu.be/gC-RY49r73U
Same Batch as above The KW dump trucks are 2 different trucks.Same video link as above: http://youtu.be/gC-RY49r73U
Skadill! Lookout for Madill 052's on your way, maybe you'll find one of them also before or later. Not to talk about about the big Skagit slacklines...
1944 Peterbilt Fresh Photo .Video at: http://youtu.be/SnAwpDyN-HU
Couple of old Weldwood 044 Elaho Valley Squamish 3 yrs ago.. Sure the're still there, if anyone wants to know how to get to them PM me... couldn't find serial# tags gone
Its in reaaaaally rough shape now, it or the other one got burnt too.
044's..... Good place for them, lol!
I would say that '44 Pete still has a bit of the Fageol look to it.
Great pictures Murk100 - We'll hopefully find out about the serials of these machines.
Jackd is on a mission to find them hopefuly he can find the serial# I was at them in 2009 and didn't time to dig around..just enough to steal I mean borrow the seat and put it in the 6280 LOL I think 60025 and 91??? the places to look for serials on 044s other than the tag is welded into the final drive rear end assembly on top or felt pen on some of the parts travel brakes swingers etc.the booms are stamped aswell but I don't no where
I will get my backside up there hopefully within the next few weeks - with camera in hand. If someone can give me some pics of these s/n locations, I will definitely track these data plates down.
Looks like a scene from Pirates of the Caribbean staring the 144....broken shear pins on the barge ramp QCI
More Finished Machines. The best before date has expired on these two.Skidder was a Monashee
tripping through the bone yard
Overgrown Skidder Spring 2012 photo. http://www.youtube.com/user/skadill
An Old Cat D6 The one that stayed behind.Video at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FId0Ikh8F4
Found another old Cat today. The only other markings on it are `Kamloops, BC`on the boom over the seat. You can't see it but it says D4 below the logo. Starter motor needs some work.
I think this thread is a suitable place to post one of the last Sparmatics left, it's located near Valemount BC, 350kms south of Prince George. Hayes Clipper (information on the S# in the Hayes Thread) Same location as Sparmatic Hayes HDX rusting in the weeds, wrecked (same location) An old MAck B(?) model rusting away at the same location
An old Caterpillar in the weeds, same location as the last post.
Hey Skadill, thanks for the use of the Skadill/YouTube enterprises helicopter and yacht on Canada Day. Here are some of the results.. [video=youtube_share;__yYZk_aePw]http://youtu.be/__yYZk_aePw[/video]
July 1 2012 photo...Kenworth off-road gravel truck, M-4 tank drill and a Traxxon rock drill
John Deere 690E and Lorain Log Loader Derelict Texture was the tour guide this day,we'll have a lot of the same photos,but they're all great and not easily gotten,These are very difficult finds to come across these days.A walk around video of these pieces seen at: http://youtu.be/oZunHCDnmLM
That Mack in post #41 looks to be an A model.
^^^ The one above has a one-piece windshield; the one in post #42 has a two-piece windshield.
Interesting info, thanks, I've been wondering for a while and I'm happy that someone knew for me as I'm not too good with Macks.
Vigilant She is either an LJ or a LF Mack The cab is the giveaway The distinct cover over the rad would give the model number an "M" A lot of the Macks up this way (BC ) were the exposed rad therefore the model number would end in "L" for logging My LM Mack has an exposed rad therefore it is an LMSWL The same truck on the eastern seaboard with the same cover over the rad as the picture above would make it an LMSWM The "L" is for logging whereas the "M" is for mining
As always, many thanks, HDX. Good thing I said it 'looks to be', eh? My dad ran several off-highway L Model Macks at Vail in the late Sixites/ early Seventies. Any idea what the entire model designation might have been? His rule of thumb was that a truck had to be 'old enough to vote' before he would sell it. That's right, 21 years old. How times have changed in that regard, and probably for the better. I have always been partial to KW, in the woods or on the road, but I still have a soft spot in my heart for pre-R Model Mack log trucks.
I couldn't ask for better info! Thank you HDX! :notworthy:notworthy:notworthy
Boneyard Photo I took at a fly in Logging Camp near Bella Coola,B.C. Spring 1993,wish I'd taken more
Skadill, who knew that taking photos of rusty stuff was going to be so much fun ? Who knew that all the "junk" that was getting cast aside, was going to be looked back on so fondly? All the stuff that's running today is steaming full speed ahead to the scrap pile sooner or later. Good thing that you and are aren't getting older or more decrepit.
Waiting and Wondering Seems the 90 foot pipes are better show pieces than 'go' pieces anymore
Old D6 Long since been scrapped out.
Marion Steam Shovel Was last run in 1974 on compressed air.Appears to have been used to push bundles off logging trucks into the water below.full video inspection at http://youtu.be/VNKA-f2VYdI By the way, the above D6 was scrapped,the photo below is an 8 and it's still there.
That's some serious eye candy, Skadill !...well done video, one more time. Love that rivet construction. Hope to hook up for another road trip one day soon.
D8 It was scooped up last oct. for new import car material.(nothing to do with me)
Any idea what year that D-8 was?
Guessing only, I'd say 1949
Old TJ Another 404 that may be done logging.youtube channel at: http://youtube.com/user/skadill
John Deere 693B An original JD shearhead buncher.Older video of it at: http://youtu.be/gmayeCyLixY
Mobile Loader Old Hayes/Old Barko 450. See machine video walk around at: http://youtu.be/sPaK-1rnGpI
Cat Nap Long rest for a tired D8H
Wow, that would be a great one to have all painted up and sitting in the yard!
yeah, considering its a early 235 hp D8H, and a logging tractor, it looks remarkably straight. Be interesting to know the reason why it was abandoned. Looks like it would tidy up well and still live to do another days work.
is that a yarder
how much for one
Oh Deere Done,but not gone yet.
Skadill Re-Posting 63 That old Hayes of E&A from the QCI was originally a M&B Nanaimo River Division truck If time permits could you post a pic of her on the MacMillan& Bloedel thread and I will give you all the info. That way we can keep all this stuff where it belongs Thanks a million
Terex Whats left of a Terex.Green overtaking Green
I'd love to have that old bubblenose D8H.
Forest Decorations Washington line loader and KW on its knees.Video at: http://youtu.be/h6zN10H4IuA
Dodge Flat Fender Old hauler of things and logs.Video at: http://youtu.be/hZKxjxaTdzw
Reired or just Tired Old International loader done log duties
I take note of your International...and toss my old friend "Patrick" in your general direction
892D and IHC Dozer All finished up and forgot to get taken to the next job.Watch the video of these at: http://youtu.be/3oNu532MsN4
Rusty Arch Old Arch(photo done months before the video),short video at: http://youtu.be/fJX1XcBByB0
I fell totally in love with this thing! Hopefully I can maybe haul it home one day (If the wife lets me that is)...
It would look a lot classier than a garden gnome in the backyard.
What the Hell is that? It looks like someone looked at an 071 and then went home and built one from memory.
What winch setups on the back of it ? Hyster tractor donkey or other ? More pics !
Roadbuider Hitachi UH171 Retiree.I posted this a year ago in loaders,limbers,roadbuilders,but it fits better here and video is now posted: http://youtu.be/-p3Apd2AFOk
It's a Skagit yarder (don't remember the model now) mounted on what looks like, but we couldn't 100% confirm to be a D9G. I have no idea what the drum setup is as it was all covered up by a tarp and we didn't want to unwrap the thing... I do have some more pictures and here they are, I though I had a few more, better ones but I guess not...
Is it a double mains machine? The two lower tower sheaves appear to be the same size and the twin clutch levers thing is common on GT era Skagit swing yarders.
Wow Spitzair, GREAT find! Here's a shot leaving the Skagit factory and headed out for the first time. Picture is from my secret stash and never before shared- I have a bunch of pictures of this one- went to Weyerhaeuser new. I wonder how many of these were built? Notice blade on railcar that came off the dozer at Skagit.
Above D9G-Skagit Yarder I wasn't going to post these pics and video for quite a while,but it might as well stay tight together with the above info and photos, Thanks to 'Spitzair',who was kind enough to let me tag along with him that day and we inspected this machine together.The awesome black and white photo above seems to be an earlier model with the cable blade lift.Heres the Video: http://youtu.be/qSfMEWTLCK0
Skadill, if you look close in your pictures you can see the hanger for the cable sheave on the hardnose, its a cable machine as well. Would be neat if they were the same one! The machine serial number is on the upper left corner of the rear of the transmission case (which is covered) and the right hand side of the engine towards the rear of the block (behine that huge tank).
Looks to me it hasnt done any work since its last paint job, paints still on the blade arms.
Is a 18A D9D. Hard to believe its just sitting there abandoned ? Be interesting to know how well it performed at work.
I looked on the rear left side of the engine for a serial number tag, obviously didn't find it if it's on the other side... This thing is far from abandoned, it's being stored by the owner, possibly awaiting it's next job. He figured we could pull the tarp off, start it up and start working if we wanted... It's a beautiful machine!
ben46a the Cat post 86 has a front end power unit The Cat in post 87 does not but yes it was a cable rig at one time
Don't know how I missed that! Can't see the forest through the trees sometimes!
Kenworth Loader Truck Another retiree.Video at: http://youtu.be/wMUGyE36Uzc
Death Row. Port Moody
Hi,Please don't post names of areas where the old iron is parked,even though it is the wrong name.I have full videos and photos of every piece there to be shared eventually on this thread.It furthers no purpose or benefit to the owner publicizing the locations of defensless machinery in a world of scrap seeking persons.This has all been gone over in the 'Alaskan Logging Equipment' left to rust thread a while back.It will also result in less machinery available to be enjoyed or owners willing to let us view or photo it.I have tons of stuff to add to this thread still, and will not post it if it becomes blatantly obvious where the pieces are ,if others comment or give a treasure map to the whereabouts to make them selves look ' in the know' or important.
Sadly, Skadill is absolutely right (as usual I should add). I learned the hard way that several 'less than scrupulous' characters actually troll these threads looking for the locations of vulnerable machinery for the sole purpose of scrapping it. They are among us all the time and if they cannot contact the owner easily or directly then often they'll just help themselves and soon a pile of slag is all that exists when the photographer or owner returns. I posted a machine which was scrapped without permission and the owner blamed me directly as I had posted the machine shortly before the theft. I am taking more pics today than I ever have, yet share far fewer for fear of putting a machine in harms way. At this point complete secrecy is a must I'm afraid.
What's back there for equipment? Looks like a 7280 boom and maybe a couple old 7220s? Was anyone able to get serial numbers or anything? Looks like an awesome place to explore!
White Log Truck Took this pic in 1992,it disappeared a couple years later.It was last used in 1973 according to the date on the licence plate.I used to see a fair bit of this stuff even back then,but film was expensive,and this stuff wasn't so hard to come by then,It was a shame not to have caught more on camera.But until recently in the computer age here,there was no outlet to share these photos back then or realize anyone else liked this stuff as well.
some nice pics on here guys keep up the good work
looks like a early 50s late 40s model
them old kws are good looking rigs you sure know how to find the iron skadill
remember this thing from one of todds vids. d9 u/c looks like it would be a good rig
ever find out the exact year of this rig? still pretty straight
a insley l line loader
old hoes an old cat 225 and hitachi uh 09
Bits and Bones Some of the smaller pieces I also try to film.
know of any old cable grapples laying around that a guy could have? i have a 5 ft spruce tree log at the end of my drive way that id like to lean it up against
Stuff That Was Bits of former dreams.I took these,the Hitachi was done with a vid cam photo and is poor quality
maybe been asked, but is this up for grabs? seems that someone would be scrapping it all or salvaging. pigpen
Shhhhhh. Dont mention the S words on this thread. These are treasured relics (apparently). Even the locations must remain top secret!!
Great pictures Skadill, thanks for sharing!
dont get me wrong i love old equipment i just asked what i thought was a good Q. anybody can tell what the most common engine is in the old log trucks in the pics? pigpen
Please understand, some folks here are a little touchy about this stuff being scrapped. If the legitimate owner chooses to do so, that's fine. The pirates are what we have a beef with.
Stuff I see Taken a couple years ago.Video camera takes poor quality pics,I don't use it for that anymore.
oh, so this isnt abandoned its on the owners property. sorry, completely different subject. love the pics, whats that blue truck in the last post? pigpen
Cat 518 skidder Field dweller
Truck Mounted Loader Buycrus Erie 22B heel boom loader. video at: http://youtu.be/969phUP2kqo
ever find out what the motor was in that thing?
Link Belt 5800 Loader Old Canfor machine.Video at; http://youtu.be/0U1qM9GiccI
Looks like there is a nice TL6 long boom in the background there Skadill, and a rubber tired American off to the right!
They'll all get their day of fame in this thread,don't worry!
Boy are you ever good at taking hints lol . Keep up the good work skadill
A dump body converted to fire/water tanker. This could be an old M&B body. Great idea for modeling
That must have been an absolute joy to move when half full of water!!
075 Actually that box came from the old Sarita Dump area Was in the bush. Use to be used as a water fill up for the trucks hauling down there. It was put there when taken off the old Sterling trucks that were used for road construction in that area. The master mechanic from Elk River Timber (Ralph Cox) came down to Sarita and bought 4 or 5 of these and hauled them up to Quinsam and installed them on their LMSWL Macks when they were extending their roads. This was the only survivor and Jim Falconer and I hauled it out and brought it to our stash at Rons place. One day we will stick it on one of the old trucks. We were thinking of putting it on "Humphrey" the 1947 Diamond T because she has the 65,000lb Mack rear ends and 12:00X24 tires so she would look pretty neat if nothing else but a gate guard. I think Hayesno1 has a few pics of "Humphrey" If he post's one you will see what I mean
HDX; Thanks for great information as usual. Here shots of "Humphrey" the old 1947 Diamond T. I think old preload/5th wheel from old Hayes HD #H208 is "sitting" on "Humphrey"s rear frame. HDX; please correct me if I am wrong. What's the story of #H125?
Hayesno1 " Humphrey " was a truck put together by Butler Brothers down in the Sooke/Jordan River area where they worked. Hard to believe but she was actually under their low bed dragging it around for some time. Not too sure of the dates Friend of mine name of Mike Giles drover her moving equipment from time to time back in his youth. Just enough to scare the daylights out of himself. She eventually ended up at Messachie Lake as a Fire Tanker and then Gordie Lennox bought her as a standby fire truck when Pacific Logging surplused her. Somebody loosened the front bottom diff plug and one day while they were using her the plug fell out and it took the front diff out. Gordie tried but was not able to find another diff for her(65,000lb Mack) so then she just sat. I was looking for a 8341 aux for one of the other old trucks and she had one so he agreed to sell her to me. We lowbedded her to Port Alberni and we had a chance to go over her and I thought maybe she deserves another chance so after sitting for another 5 years we got her engine running again(6-71 GM) and she runs GREAT so there she sits awaiting the time to install the box.Yes she still has her aux trans in her These box's had the twin outoard hoist cylinders but I think it will be just "U" bolted to the frame as a static display. Note the rail road track welded to the top of the box side's. This served to save the box from to much damage while being loaded. Pacific Logging also used the H numbers on their trucks same as M&B so thats where the H125 came about
bone yard cnp. the 225 and uh07 have been posted before. there will be videos of all of these going up on my youtube channel. al were used in logging at one point or another. l
HDX; thanks for sharing the history of "Humphrey". I think I recieved a few pics ** her when you fired her up. Sorry but I just can't find them at present time. What model is it? My guess it is a 910 model, but I did not look under tarp to see if see got the big front windows...
I would love to have that Diamond T at my place.Looks like a real brute.She's a tad bigger than my 1936...Don't know of to many D/T's that big in BC.......Cory
Hitachi UH16 I think it's safe to say this one has done its last forest duties.video at http://youtu.be/Dh-NRf2Uwi0
HDX & Hayesno1: Sure is great to see trucks like "Humphrey" being restored. Not much info on trucks like that out there. My guess is there were a lot of similar trucks put together, especially after the war, using surplus military equipment. I built several log truck models based on the Diamond T tank transporter prime movers (same cab as Humphrey?). I noticed that Weyerheauser used several of the trailers for building fire tankers using railroad tank car bodies for tanks.
Dont want to step on any hooves but shouldnt all the scrap that cant be restored be recycled ? found an old garret gas skidder a few yrs. ago . one rear-end might be still good but thats it. seems to me we should do our best to utilize on bothends of the stick. opcorn:my2c
Graveyarders Beasts of B.C. Part 1 of 2 Video at: http://youtu.be/MByqc3hUUHM
Continued more pics.video at: http://youtu.be/MByqc3hUUHM
i sure like those old track long log loaders
Wow Skadill! I sure enjoy viewing all your videos on your youtube channel. I notice the partial D8 14a in the pic. I am trying to put one together out of two. I need the brake linkage and booster parts from a late serial # 14a. You are probably the guy who knows where there might be one that somebody would be willing to part out reasonably. Any help would be appreciated. I'm way up north(Yukon) but anywhere in B.C. is still not to bad for freight on a few parts. Cheers.
Short Log Truck This 1990 or 91 Ford only has 30,000km or 18,500 miles on it.It hauled cottonwood logs from a job of ours around 1993.I took the pic less than 2 years ago.It has been off the road I think since the mid to later 90's
looks a bit rough..
Old Keeper of the Roads Cat 14B Motor Grader.Video: http://youtu.be/Z4pQ_I5Od8M
Old Mack Log Truck Rusting away and safe to keep doing so.(skadill photo)
Great find there Skadill...what is the old truck in behind the Mack?
Washington Trakloader What's left of what was a cable log loader.It had some great tires still.
That's one old TL single axle steering and hook rollers. Don't see any jack boxes ether!
075 Also note the Budd wheels!!!!! 12:00X24 maybe A real time machine
The Scary part about it HDX is ,we were around when it was new lol
Couple Misc. Pieces earning their rust Today is brought to you by the color red.Taken recently.
skadill The door there with H94 on it was off one of the Franklin River P16's with the 3412 Cat engine in it. There is an original yellow Hayes muffler guard with the chrome handle on it and the 9inch bands also there!!! Very interesting!!!!
I think I remember reading here that one of the three 3412 Powered P-16's was scrapped...Did it get wrecked or just used for parts ????.....Cory
Thanks Steve,I knew you knew and would have the scoop on these kinds of finds,that's about the only reason I put the 'door'on here.Most see an old truck door,but a few can trace and recall decades of history from it,that's what's important.
yarders Skadill photos
Skadill Just out of interest What was on the Build Plate on the bottom L/H corner of the winch picture, Just fishin here LOL !!!! Looks like Ross's place
what is the make on the drums
Madill Grapple Yarder I think this one may have made its last stop,as its in a scrap metal companys yard.
Is that three Letourneau stackers in the background?
If this Madill yarder is already in a scrap yard and is awaiting its fate, how about giving us a location. I'd like to go there and get some pics - I've been looking for a good example of the old Madill logo for my files.
Another Piece Wondering What Happened All done working
Jack, if you go there try also get the serial nbr and take a ton of pictures. If there is no plate, serial should be welded on the u/c on top between the final drives, or on the maint scheme inside operators cabin. Seems like you can get som good logo samples from that one as well.
Here is some old iron R.I.P. What a shame
Looks like a nice straight cab and chassis! A guy i know wpuld give his left nut for that!
Same Story-different brand Another nice looking non working truck.taken last fall(what he give for this one?hopefully he doesn't need more than 2 trucks lol)
Throw some rears on it and ill take er'!
American Line Loader Taken last year.I did post this somewhere back then,but am trying to keep all the rusties in one thread,so some old posts before this in other threads will be re-filed back in here to be most relevant by topic.I've not run out of rust to share nor is this regurgitating old pics-just organizing,thanks!video at: http://youtu.be/-2SEAoVHtwM
Big Quiet Trucks All getting a full long "Rustoration".Video look around at: http://youtu.be/wIboXaCBAVA
Skadill Hard to believe but that HD Hayes with the loader on it was actually a show truck when new Was dressed up with lots of chrome! She hauled poles around Franklin for some years Van West Poles Drivers name was Jerry Acton Great guy.
Link Belt 4300C Roadbuilder Taken last spring.Typo,on my part,it's not a c series this a 1985ish model,still says FMC on the side..video at: http://youtu.be/V_OG3w8sR90
John Deere 992 Roadbuilder At the end of it's road.taken last spring.
Skadill The two HDX's in the background look like ex RW Saunders trucks
Murk 100 Post number 3 with the young fella in the trucks. We are in that area right now working. I recognize the trucks. We found an old donkey up the hill from the trucks about 1000 feet. We were told about a loci that was in their as well. Haven't been able to find it. Any ideas?
More Tellers of stories Hitachi UH14 roadbuilder and Skagit SJ4 yarder
Stuff that sits last year photos.
1956 Allis Chalmers HD15 Not a all out logging piece,but with a winch and being from the 50's its done some.She lives on this page now.Video look at : http://youtu.be/vLV6uyaxu_8
Lost Logging Truck The legend had it that there was an old Rubber tired truck left up on the old fore and aft road at Spry Camp (Port Alice B.C.). It was left there as the legend go's because 1 the plank road became undrivable. 2 The truck fell off the plank road and could not recovered. No one really knew where the truck was for years because of the large area that they logged and traces of the road are very hard to find. Well we opened up a block up there this fall and came upon it ,Or what was left of it.Notice the Driver sitting on a stump watching over the bones. The red dot on the map is were the truck sits notice it is on the 260 meter contour line.
Here you see whats left of the plank road, they made it out of Hemlock that was there. It has not really stood the test of time time as it was logged in the late 30's. What is left of the road continues well up the hill behind where the truck sits.And the down hill part is really hard to find over in the Alders. There is also tack that there may be another truck and a steam donkey left out there in another valley. But that seams unlikely as we have opened up several blocks that way and have only found broken pieces of yarders.
The last of the pictures. We high stumped the trees so they would not blow over and to protect what was left from the logging.
Wow that is really cool! Do you have any idea what make of truck it was?
Sorry, I looked at the pictures closer a seen that it's a White.
Tank Old drill waiting in the weeds for something.Video at: http://youtu.be/1mk798Hjxk0
... late addition pic
sweet tank drill!
Home built Yarder Lowbed mounted A frame style.Machine is gone now.
An old Hough loader with a grapple...
Has anyone seen a rough terrain forklift made by Patrick using the chassis of the WWII Staghound armoured car? The turret was removed, and a commercial truck Cab Over Engine style superstructure installed near the front wheels.
A Staghound armoured car - that brings back memories - that was actually the first allied vechiles that entered my grandfathers city in 6th of May 1945. My grandfather was leading a resistance group of all most 600 people. I liked that Staghound(British name I think) armoured car. I saw a special forklift many years ago in Hope - very unusual but it got a WV cab. I think I took a pic of that way back in the 80's. I'll just have to find it just like my other pics.. ;-)
Bits and Things They've been planted for long enough now,soon some logging equipment should start growing.
Unbelievably they have found another truck . This is loaded just off the right of way of another road heading. Just found out about it yesterday so will go out next weekend and take some pictures. So if the truck is there like the rumors predicted just maybe the yarder is too. Port McNeill Div did find a complete steam donkey about a month ago that they are going to retrieve and display hopefully soon.
Looking forward to seeing the new pics. I used to hike up an old plank road from the Manning logging company - probably from the '20's or '30's - that was at the end of Stirling Arm on Sproat Lake. It went from the Alpulp pumphouse up to the top of 'summit' in Cous Division. It had the old strawline spiked on top of it for traction - it must have been a real bugger coming down that with a load on on a rainy day. They re-logged the area back in the '80s and so the lower part is probably obscured. I might take a gander up there in the future if time permits - the view of the upper Alberni Valley was quite spectacular from what I remember, when you got to the top.
I can not believe where they hauled from on those plank roads. Up where we are logging now we have haul road pitches of 25% and where the plank road went it looks like they were about 15% or better. No water on the brakes only four brake drums and mechanical brakes at that. No old bold Truck Drivers there.
The old plank road that I mentioned was also very steep - and I didn't see any wide spots to pass either. The inboard runner was cut right into the bank, whereas the outboard one was built up on a structure several feet in height. It was steep country and they just built this road right against the hill face. Up near the top where it started to flatten out was a collapsed trestle. Considering that most of the shore of Stirling Arm was logged with a big 'A' frame with a skidder on a massive float, this old road was a very rare thing to find. I always wondered how they got down these plank roads without going over. They must have had pretty strong legs from standing on the brakes.
Loaders that lost their way Taken last year.
That 966C is worth its weight in gold. I'm surprised that its being stripped for parts.
I'm amazed at how much money in scrap metal is just sitting there. Around these parts, ALL of it some how would have been extracted and sent to the local scrap yard for some serious money.
That is not a popular topic here.
LOL! I can see why. It's just a shame to see all those machines just rotting away like old American Muscle cars do these days. It a shame, a shame I tell ya!
I'm in Eastern NC, about halfway up the coast. How about you?
Selma/Smithfield, I'm 3 miles from Hwy 70 and 4 miles from I95, working in Garner/Raleigh area.
old equiptment Love the old pics of where we used to be and would love to come and have a look.Give me an email back for any time that you have!
Off highway KWs that have seen better days. #2 might be an old Mars truck(#A24).
235 Old roadbuilder
Kenworth log trucks Green & white KW showed last insurance in 1998.Taken last fall.Video at http://youtu.be/S8orz9bmTKw
That green and white KW is still a beautiful truck. Would love to know what it had for and engine. My gut feeling says a 1693 TTA.
Funny thing, the operations manager of that place is coming down next week.
stuff last year dinosaur bones from a logosauros
skadill Very nice shot of the Mackosaurus skull and jawbones in the background there!!!!
piece by piece they disapear
Hell that HD11 looks far too good to go to waste
Yair . . . I don't quite understand either D6 Merv . Can some someone explain for us . . . was the value of this equipment so low it would cost more to take it back to "civilisation" than what it was worth? If so it sure seems to be a screwed up system that can leave gear rotting after just a few years of logging . . . I smell something POLITICAL ? Cheers.
I suspect that if, for example, the engine and undercarriage were both shot, it would make perfect sense to park it.
Old water tank set up beside a creek in the block we've been logging been there from the 60s.. pretty sure its from the railway years of Port Renfrew
Hey Skadill Some of the yards you come by have some sweet pieces of equipment say if somebody such as my self who loves to wrench and wouldn't mind bringing the eqiupment back to life could you give me hand or maby we could search for some iron graveyard
Trucks and D6 Stuff I've had the honor of seeing(and brushing out too.yuck)
am an apprentice heavy duty mechanic with the hopes of having my own logging equipment and the trucks and towers i see on here are beutys and need to be restored or brought back to life there history and for me living in bc most of our towns were built around the industry if i was a serious buyer and wanted to buy some trucks and equipment from one of the yards and wrench on them and restore them how could i contact some of the owners or find the yard
Truck Mount Loader Old pacific P9 with a barko backpack,only photo I took of this,didnt go in further,probably should have as its gone for scrap now.
That's a shame that they cut up the truck, it appears to be straight and solid without the typical cab corner or fender rust. I wish that owners would offer these trucks for sale or something before they cut them up - hence my websites, but sometimes you just don't have the time to sit on something waiting for a collector....
trucks in trees some photos from a couple years ago that fit with the mood here.
Sheesh...Skadill, at least you could have knocked some of the branches and debris of the old girls...especially after spending all that time and money getting there in the Skadilicopter
009 Madill This is actually the only pic I got,my battery went dead right then.Short video though at http://youtu.be/W889SfERgVg
Jubilee - post nbr 500! Hmm, that in the front there look a little 044-ish, are you hiding something?
It's all safe on film and video as well,don't worry,its will get it day here as well,its not in the condition you will be expecting though-suprise-suprise!
Old Trojan Log Loader Just a paper weight at this point in its life.
Don't see to many of these anymore, square reach and Budd to Dayton adapters
Link Belt First Generation hydraulic loader.(posted it in the loader forum long ago,but this is where it belongs to be on topic)
JSW 90 Excavator video at: http://youtu.be/PXtNGYtxis4 JSW was -Japan Steel Works
Skidder Old Can Car/Garrett skidder in here in B.C.
Don't know where to put this, old burnt d8k
That's pretty cool stuff. You don't see that everyday!....did someone torch it? Was the blade removed for transport?
kept as a spare
While in BC, I was hoping to see more equipment. I did see an old water tank semi trailer new Port Renfrew that had seen better days.
Still lots of gear laying about. Where did you look?
Man operated sky car..
Aha! I see you were in Sayward by the cablehouse cafe.
I did not have much time to look hard, and mainly stuck to the main roads. I drove from Victoria to Port Renfrew, then took a road from Port Renfrew to Dundas. I did go to Englishman River Falls too. Lovely place, and the people were really nice too!
Pacific Poor old wood wagon.This one is actually a shame to see on its knees like this.
Those machines are really old. It looks like they've done lots of jobs. And they really had a great adventure. I wish somebody will fix those machines and make them look new again.
Mr Miller, do you happen to have more pictures of the man operated skycar?
I would also love to know how frequent fatalities were from rigging going bad and someone falling to their death from a human-operated carriage, or skycar. Or was it even an issue?
For an operational photo of the skyhook/skycar, refer to page 176 of “A Loggers Lexicon.” There is a photo of it working for Glen Corning Logging out of Deming WA. Phil Grabinski invented the car when he was living in Portland. Phil held other patents for logging systems and equipment.
let's see if these show ISX
A Most Unusual Carriage I would strongly urge someone to check out the possibilities of getting this unusual carriage into a logging museum.....oh Mr. Trackloader.....you must know about this....yes??? This has to be a very rare piece of logging equipment. I wonder what his rate of pay was? Was he paid by the ton, or by scale? Scary thoughts.... Any more pics of it in action? Who logged with them? Interesting bit of history to be learned here.
Cat D7F field sitter
I stood in front of that very thing and wondered what the heck it was a few years ago! Now I know, thanks Simon! Here's a few pictures I took of it... Redwood Climber, I'm sure it's safe where it is, there are quite a few other neat and wonderful items sitting around with it...
Thank you SPMiller, 525isx and Spitzair for all the pictures. I fully agree with Redwood Climber that this historical and very uniqe item should have been on display in a museum (and this is not meant to be disadvantageous for all the other historical and very unique logging items that also should have been on display in a museum...), they where used around the BC coast in the 50's according to what I have read. Maybe they already have one in Duncan?
This machine is in a collection of old logging artifacts on private property. The man was a collector but is now gone but was a very interesting character. His wife still lives there as well as their daughter who is also well known in the area. Any time I drop by there I always remember him and admire his imagination, creativity and sense of humour. Although the area is getting grown over now,and is slowly brushing in more and more it is still part of their family history. In two years time it will be hard to find. The family is one of the original families that settled in the area and on the wife's side may have been the first. I think the best place would be the Forest Museum but only if it is restored and rigged up as it was working and dedicated to the owner and his family for saving it for this long. It is a good thought to preserve it. She may want to see it go to a good home before she passes on in memory of her husband. Anyone here have good connections with the family. I know them but not that well. I doubt if the wife remembers me now as she is getting on and has had a few health setbacks. The daughter would probably be the best person to approach this with. You would either get a yes or no answer real quick. Anyone?
Fascinating piece of logging history. Too bad i live on the other end of the continent, other wise I would "volunteer" to save it...... Ap40
Kw One corner of a logging boneyard.
Classic Coastal Chapman 1800 or 1825? Chapman,mid coast BC.Shared photo
That'll buff right out... I guess if the counterweight gets a clean spot..you will know that you got too close to something
just left to rust or does it still move once every decade?
D7f Hi skadill, Correct me if I am wrong, but I think its an D7e, Ken
1985 Pacific P510 lost logger.shared pic
That has to be the saddest W9 carcass I have ever seen. Hard to believe it used to be someone's pride and joy.
OK, so the mystery deepens, Is this a Grabinsky Skyhook or a Skagit Skycar? On the BCFP thread there was discussion about the BCFP Port Renfrew mobile unloader and that it was pictured in Ken Druska's book Working in the woods. So I dug out my copy and sure enough on page 269 there it was but, also there was a picture of the Grabinsky Skyhook which I though this was. The machine pictured is the same concept but is a different machine. The book explains that the Grabinsky Skyhook had a man riding in it and the Skagit Skycar was radio controlled. It goes on to say the Grabinsky Skyhook was used in Squamish and around Harrison. The Skagit Skycar was used around Courtenay in the Cruickshank in 1960. My guess is that this machine is a Skagit Skycar radio controlled because of it's present location. Of course the other possibility is that there may have been others made. Next time I'm up that way I'll have a look. I thought there was an operators seat but that could have been the case anyway. The book also says that the Skycar had a 100hp GM diesel while the Skyhook was powered by a small engine. Didn't say gas or diesel or how small.
I still believe this to be the Grabrinski Skyhook It matches the Pointer Willamette advertisement in post #240 which is the Grabrinski Skyhook. However, Skagit may have made a copy also since the Skagit Archives show a photo of one. (first link) The second link refers to a Skagit Skycar from 1965 with a picture of the Skagit Skycar, this looks a lot like the old Young Iron Bird a fairly compact carriage. (This is the second link.) The Grabinski Skyhook I already referenced in post #239. But you are correct.. the mystery deepens. I guess the links do not work. If you google Skagit Skycar you get a reference to the Eugene newspaper from 1960 which has a story about saving the yong trees. The other link was Sedro Woolley history which has a photo of Skagit's version of a Skyhook. :Banghead
OK, I think I got the photo and newspaper article attached. http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=7gBWAAAAIBAJ&sjid=AOMDAAAAIBAJ&pg=3884,4416361 In reference to post #255 and 256, in the grainy newspaper photo you can see a Skycar.
I have looked at this skycar last year and yes there is a spot for an operator. It is powered by a Chrysler flat six gas engine. I have seen a picture in a logging book or in the Campbell River museum of it in use, I just can't remember which.
Jumbo, what is the Young Iron Bird that you mentioned? Was it a carriage or something similar to the Skycar/Skyhook?
The Young Ironbird rode on a 1-1/2 inch skyline, it weighed 3500 pounds, had a drumline of 300 feet of 7/8. It was capable of yarding uphill or downhill and was capable of working with either a standing or live skyline. The haulback was what fed out the tongline. I never saw it work; it always sat in the yard at Weyerhaeuser Snoqualmie. When I was there, the Woods Boss was pretty much a highlead only fellow with concessions for shotgun carriages. It had been married to the last tree rigged slackline machine before I arrived. I was told that it had been used to log much of what was then the “30” line which had some pretty deep canyons and some long spans. When the tree rigged slackline machine was scrapped and replaced with a 046 Madill the Ironbird disappeared with it, I am not sure if it was sold or went to the scrapper’s torch with the slackline machine. If you Google Carriages for Skyline by Donald Studlier March 1993, You can see this information along with just about any carriage you can think of from that era and before.
Done Yarding for Now Think its a washington 78.
It is indeed a 78. I've spent many hours either wrenching on one just like it or sitting in the seat. Missing the haulback drum and planetary among other things.
This one looks a little more operational. Westar Washington 78 grapple yarder Arrow Lakes.
What was the planatary interlock on these machines like? Looks like a more efficent system that a slip clutch. Must be a reason no one else did it.
The early 78's like th eone shown above had a two giant gears on the end of the haulback. The big case directly to the right of the guyline drums. A set of planetary gears controlled the speed of each gear which was driven by the main driveline on one side and a hydraulic motor on the other. Its kind of hard to explain without many pictures, which I really should scan one of these days. The end result was a yarder that was simple to operate although far too complex and grossly overengineered in some respects. The operator had a trans conrol for forward and reverse and another lever to slack and tighten the haulback and/or the mains. With the rigging running out, push the lever forward and the haulback ran slower than the mains and the rigging slacked on the fly, pull the lever back and the mains slowed, tightening the rigging. You didn't have to ride any brakes or slip any clutches although each drum had an air clutch and a big band brake they were just for stopping. You could park the machine with the rigging in the air and it would stay there with the brakes off and the clutches engaged if you set the lever right. It would also slowly creep in or out if you didn't and I've seen more than one haulback drum snarled up as the line slowly creeped out after the rigging was on the ground. I've never done that of course. The newer 78A's had a large doubled ended and very expensive hydraulic motor in place of the haulback planetary gear that was quieter, faster and easier to repair but also prone to failure. at least on the machine I ran. When that happened you better have deep pockets. That's a very brief and rambling explanation and its a lot easier to do it than it is to explain it. Someone once told me that the Washington yarders were designed by engineers that had left Boeing. I don't know if that is true or not but some of the things I saw on the 78's and 108's made me want to believe it. I think that's one of the reasons that Madill lasted so long. You could fix them with a big hammer, cold chisel and a crescent wrench.
The original Washingtons were top notch and easy to work with and on according to donkey doctors I knew. When Formco (I think that was the spelling) bought them out things changed. The story went around Seattle that the first thing Formco did was dump all the casting molds. Adrian Estep was one of Washington's greatest treasures. Louis Bianchi who spent 50 years at Washington was a fellow who had a treasure trove of stories. Louis did a good job of describing Washington's demise after Formco. Alas, like many other companies who were bought in the late 70's Washington was run into the ground by the new owner. I always figured Madill was popular because they were cheaper that a Washington or Skagit.:stirthepot That comment should rile someone up!
Old Roadbuilder Link-Belt 4300
Found this one last year. It seems it has not been moved for some years...
It doses not travel but they use it all the time to load and unload trailers. It looks like that because two years ago a slide came through that area and covered every thing in 2 feet of mud and wood.
Could someone explain what the stinger arrangement on the Washington 78's undercarriage is all about? I am curious.
The stinger has the raising and lowering cylinder for the mast and gantry. In the travel position the mast and gantry are supported by the stinger.
Thanx lg junior. Much appreciated.
Kenworth 850 Whats left of an old Saunders truck by the looks of it.Pacific P16,I guessed the Saunders colors automaticly meant KW850.
I had no idea Saunders ran anything but KW's. Thanx.
Had a friend that drove for Saunders back in the 70's, up at Kemano, when he started there he had a brand new Pacific P16 and all the other trucks on the haul were HDX's at that time, well when he headed up the road listening to all the calls on the radio he tucked into a turn out and here comes this HDX pulling pup smoking buy and the driver calls on the radio "who the hell are you? this is HAYES country". they had a lot of trucks there, think he said 25 or 30 HDX's, they would load out of the lake and haul up and over the mountain down to the salt chuck. said if they got 3 months out of a 91000 clark diff that was good. later when the Kenworths came with 121 clarks they never lost a diff. He had a ton of cool pictures and stories to go with them. RIP Mike P.
Had an Uncle who worked the boom boats at Kemano , mostly in the lake, a little in the salt chuck at the dump. He himself hauled about 35 loads total with the HDX. Mostly on weekends when they needed trucks moved and all the drivers were off. He has alot of good stories about his time there as well. I drove the road from Kemano to the lake in the early 90's. talk about hills. Shoot goats right from the pick up.
2 old KW loggers finding Peace in Campbell River
More rusty trucks from Campbell River. KW is Canadian built. Pics were shot at Tom Turners place.
Old Hitachi UH181 Log Loader Note backspar mount brackets,which was a little rare for a loader,and raised boom pin mounts.
Bump to the top for more pic's! Let's see some more here!
Heres a shared pic of a Tanguay.Finning used to sell them in the 80's here in B.C.
had one of these beasts work for us through some contractor in 2004 quite the beast of a machine if i remember correctly
Excellent work I have really enjoyed this thread. I have a few pieces I have saved myself. ITS pretty sad here in Mississippi between the gypsy scrappers and the meth heads old iron is getting scarce. I have seen some of Skadills pics on youtube great stuff. I would love to come up that way one day and hook up with you fellers and check some of that iron in that part of the world out . I collect old white and Internationals and have a bunch of old construction iron that we still make a living with. My hats off to you fellers . If you see a scrapper ''PUT ONE IN HIS BRAIN'' I WONT TELL!
i collect international trucks as well
when I get home in Dec. I will take some pics of my toys and post them. 1946 white wc-22 plt under construction, 1969 IHC f-2000d 1970 white 9000 fire truck 1972 white 4000 1976 white road boss ,1976 westernstar , 1978 ihc 4070b eagle, 1978 ihc 4200, 1979 kw c-500 , 1981 mack r-600 , 1983 ihc 4300 eagle , 1998 ihc 9300 eagle. some we use ,some are projects and a couple patiently waiting their turn in the shop. will post pics when I get back to ole miss
A Frame Truck Yarder A long retired tower.Video- http://youtu.be/bCjhI5Qcls8
tw Tom Worth checking out an old yarder left along side Copper Canyon M/L , a little to big to get on lowbed to haul to B.C. Forest Discovery Center.
tw More pictures of yarder on Copper Canyon M/L
1973 P9 Pacific Silent Logger.shared pic
I always get p****d off when i see the windows smashed out of old gear. think more kids need the rules i got growing up if it ain't yours don't touch it.... if you do touch it I'll kick you in the arse so hard the wax in your ears will pop out.... then you'll hear next time when i say if it ain't yours, don't touch it
I heard some loggers on the 2 way radio today talking about what equipment they are going to leave in the woods over winter, and what they are going to bring to the yard. "Don't leave the fuel wagon out there or somebody will shoot a hole in it"
Not up here!! they will drain it into their tanks
camptramp Time to get everybody together and save the old "Skidder" at Copper Canyon. Still enough guys around to do it and still enough interest I think Where could we take her? Caycuse and set her up! Cant you just hear those supercharged Cummins Engines from your house? Remember IT ALL STARTS WHEN TWO PEOPLE TALK ABOUT IT LOL
caycuse would be a good choice as it had the last one running....copper canyons shutdown just a few weeks earlier.
I'm over here in Chemainus - this might be interesting....
Thump Thump Thump
Somewhere in all my worldly stuff, I have a couple of old Loggers' Handbooks with ads and photos of yarders/skidders with twin Cummins engines. This may have been a regular production machine, and not an oddball contraption. Would love to see it restored.
Not exactly the BLUE WATER LINE but close "If everybody Gave then we could save the"
The bones of the old Bear Cr skidder are still out in the wilds , It had twin Cummins engines for power too.
Just scored today from the attic of our old shop some old manuals. What I have at first glance is one for a Mack LMSWL ,Skagit SY2 Salvage Yarder, Skagit SJ2 HA3 Hyd loader, A bunch of blue prints for 120' VIEW sparmatic tower. Euclid Preload Trailers and a Euclid Dump Truck , an 086 Madill dump Machine and 2 S Series Spars and bunch of other old part books of tank drills, Cummins engines ,Tree Farmer and Alison trans, D8 cats and what not. l all most forgot a TL6 parts book, and one for a 500 series American. They smell but I can put up with it lol
The LMSWL Mack book-- Does it give the serial number 075 Should start LM2DL2###D VERY GOOD score
HDX it covers fromLM2DL2836L to 2839D and LM2DL2784D to 2787D 153-54" wheelbase and 185-54" wheelbase .If you have use for it it is yours
075 Finding the manuals is about like hitting the lottery. Glad they are safe, even if they are a little stinky.
What model of Euclid truck did you find the manual for? The one for the Euclid preloader trailers must be fairly rare? All of what you found is cool stuff and irreplaceable so it's great that someone like you found it. I would love to build a Euclid logger model someday, are there many pictures of the preloader trailers that I could maybe ask you to copy for me sometime? Thanks, Reg
Any chance of borrowing those 120' Sparmatic blue prints for copying purposes? I'll even buy them off you... Trakloader let me borrow three sets of manuals that he scrounged out of the shops up in the Queen Charlotte's, a few years ago. I took them to Staple's and ran them through their machines and made some copies, before returning them. I missed the chance to grab the original Tyee archival set when the machine shop owner threw them out a few months before I visited his shop in Burnaby. That one still hurts. Send me a P.M. if you this is something that you could help me with.
Kw Weed Watcher.
A Fine Nine Maybe not a logger,but many found their way up a logging road over the years.Video walk around at: http://youtu.be/bMHsyPyfldM
I ran a D9H for a while back in the mid Eighties, loading scrapers. Quite a rush indeed, in good dirt. Ripping blasted rock and loading scrapers out was a bit less entertaining. Running scraper in the rock, I learned quickly that sitting in the operator's seat would just about guarantee that you would bottom out hard, and literally feel your guts start to tear. Until I hit smooth ground, I rode with the backs of my thighs sitting on the very front of the seat. Still a rough ride, but a bit less wear and tear on the innards.
075 If possible I would be interested in getting a copy of the Skagit SJ2H. They were built in the early 60`s and were one of the first Juicers built. Tony ( the Skagit Guru) told me they had a tough time selling the few that were built as everyone thought Hydraulics were a fad and would never replace clutches and brakes! I have a SJ2 conventional and would like to find a manual for it but I think the undercarriage is the same as the Hydraulic so it would help. I am also curious what a small loader built for Interior Jackpine would be doing in your area. good score by the way! Thanks Doug
Sorry I have given that manual away already. Rayonier bought several of them (three I know of) we called them earwigs. They used them for sample loads.When ever we got a sample in what they called salvage load (40 ton small pulp) they would unload them with it and reload it with them after wards. Holberg , Jeune Landing and Mahatta all had them. I am sending them to Torkelh and he puts them on Drop Box for all to see and copy. I think the reason they got them in the first place they could put anyone on them to load and unload trucks, They just sat there for weeks sometimes not being used.
That d9 hasn't been in the dirt much since a paintjob., still paint on the trackframes.
That's the first D9 I have seen in the woods. All that I recall seeing Weyco run were D7s and D8s. Mostly D8s out West, 7s on the East Coast.
Logging Nines There was many more than a few D9's building road for the worlds biggest logging trucks in B.C. years ago.
I keep forgetting y'awl have REAL trucks up that way, and need REAL machines to build road. None of those wimpy little D8s and KW 848s that I saw growing up in Washington. I sure wish I could have spent some time on the island back in the day. Imagine my dismay the first time I read some of y'awl's posts belittling the 848 and even cracking jokes..... compared to the Hays and Pacifics. Now, it makes perfect sense.
Now I'm curious. I doubt seriously that y'awl would break a D9 down for an off-highway move since weight is less of a factor, but do you even bother to turn the blade?
Logging with D9's There were more than a few D9's used in logging here in northern California also. Timber Salvage Co. (Lyman Goucher) had a D9G he used for logging old growth Redwood. He was a cutting contractor for a number of years, just falling timber. That included building layouts (soft beds) to fall the trees into to reduce breakage and also rigging and pulling trees against their lean in order to fall them into a more desirable layout. He logged with this D9 for a number of years, it is unbelievable how much wood you can hang on a cat that big. This nine had a Hyster D89 winch when I first started, it worked it so hard it (the winch) needed to be rebuilt every winter. He then bought a big brand new CAT winch a model 59 I believe it was. It had a real scream when you pulled on her hard. It was real fast too. I believe it ran a 1 &3/8 inch bull line, I remember it was huge! the hook must have weighed 40 pounds.......at least it seemed like it to a scrawny 127 lb. kid. We had a big steel wedge we used for splitting big logs. We also used a huge moving block to block purchase big logs with. We used a 1& 1/2 inch bull choker on the log. I believe they were 50' long. We ran a 150' bull line on the cat, so when we used the block purchase, we could only advance the cat about 60' at a time. We only used the block purchase on the real big ones. If it was 9' in diameter or smaller, no problem, just hook it up and it would pull it. It was an amazing time for an 18 year old kid, fresh out of high school....sure wish I had taken some pictures.
I saw an old ad for the Sj-2H Hydraulic Earwig Loader, pretty funny name. I guess the grapple reminded them of the grapple on an earwig.
south island today
Found this in Northern BC. Not sure of make?
Washington TL6 or TL15 Fairly early machine . Has hook rollers and not a mono-race like later machines .I would put my money on a TL6
picture reminded me of a question I have. What are the differences between a TL-6 and TL-15 ? obviously 15 is a bigger machine,but what about line capacity /, weight of machine ? always wondered. 525
I think he meant TL5. One size smaller machine. Didn`t the TL5s have a three axle carrier. Never had much to do with them.
I found this old equipment in the bush above Cassel Lake falls in Teakern Arm a few years ago. It must early vintage yarder of some kind. When I pulled into Teakern Arm on my boat there was an old BC Ferry at the bottom of the inlet. It was the old BC ferry Queen of Tswassen. They were using it as a base for heilocopter logging above Cassel Lake.
075; Thanx for information. I am a novice on that kind of equipment. I think I do a little better on trucks.
The cab on a TL5 was on the right hand side,and had hyd swing. They all had three axle, and four axle carriers. and some were also on tracks. And the TL25's were on log barges
Did Washington make a cable version of the TL5? The only TL5 I was aware of was the TL5H, the hydraulic version.
Yes they did Rayonier had several up here and I ran one I Zeballos ,off and on over the years. They were fairly quick in the line speed and you put the trans in reverse to load. It had two forward speeds and one reverse with a steering wheel to steer instead of a leaver. The swing was HDY and was a bit week but worked fairly well for its time.The only problem I found with it was when the mechanics came out on night shift to fix something and decided to be loader operator. They always seemed to put the trans in 1st gear and back spooled all the drums, words were said lol.And the ones that I was around also had Jimmy V6's in them not sure if they were 71's though.
TH5H had the 6V71, so I assume the TL5 did as well. I have mentioned here before that my father did the T&E on one of the original prototype TL5H shovels, and possibly the first made, at Vail. I spent a little time around it back then, and am grateful for the memories. Lots of issues with that machine in the beginning, many of which came, as I recall, from the maze of hydraulic lines.
T J John Logging had A TL5H for awhile back about 75 or so in Zeballos. They did not keep it very long, If I remember right, it was lacking in reach and you always had to pick up the jacks to reach wood.And if you ever ran TL you know that could take a few minutes if every thing worked right, longer if the jack boxes were bent in,or the sequencing valves or flag arms were out of ajustment.
Camoflaged yarder Taken and shared by an equipment friend. Mid coast BC pics
Is that an old military truck it's sitting on?
Here is a side picture.
Kind of looks like a big old Mack, but hard to tell.... Looking closely, it almost looks like one of the Macks that Norrie Bros. modified, it has the small cab like they used. Tower looks like a Rosedale product.
I found this on West Redonda Island in Lewis Channel.
Yair . . . hello fellers. I have asked the question before but missed out on any answers. From half a world away it is difficult to comprehend the amount of effort money and ingenuity that went to develop the equipment and techniques to extract timber from such an inhospitable environment . . . so what went wrong? Did the demand fade away, were the forests cut out, were political decisions made. There must have been factors not obvious to me to cause such a decline in a well established industry over what seems to be such a short span of years? As I browse these pages, particularly the truck pages and see the record of what used to be I sometimes fancy I can hear the howl of those two-strokes pulling grade and for those who were involved and loved the machinery and way of life I can understand their loss. If some could set me straight as to why the timber industry declined I would be much obliged. Cheers,
As the forests of the East Coast of North America were being depleted in the mid late 1800's , the forest companies and their crews started looking at the forests of the west coast of North America, which at that time were being settled by European Settler's. The forest's of the coastal strip of North America seemed endless ,and probably made the best lumber on our planet. Starting around the late 1800's loggers tackled the timber stands ,as loggers developed their equipment and rigging , they progressed from horse and oxen ,to steam powered yarders ,then to diesel power . What appeared to be an endless resource at the begining of the 1900's was starting to look to be coming to an end by the 2000's. Its not what we did ,but how we did it to the virgin stands of timber . We took to much to soon and there was to much waste. There is still Old Growth timber on the west coast of British Columbia but its tough and expensive to log . The best and easiest timber is gone. If you would like a more in depth look at how many large tracks of how our timber stands were litterally given away through Railroad Grants ,Timber Grants and Timber Claims, I recomened reading A History of British Columbia by Jean Barman , The Pacific Province A History Of British Columbia by Hugh J.M. Johnston and Three Men and A Forester by Ian Mahood And Ken Drushka.
Great pictures Len keep them coming , did you ever run across a Pilot by the name of Les or Art Jone's out of Victoria in your travels on the BC coast?
Yair... The timber industry didn't really fade to nothing or suddenly stop. It is cyclical by nature. When it is hot there is a lot of money to get the trees down, out and processed. Everyone in the industry knows this and the rush is on to get as much as possible until the hot cycle ends. You see all kinds of innovation in a hurry. People are willing to risk money on building a bigger, more powerful and faster machine. When the cycle gets slow it does it in a hurry and people get laid off and a lot of machines just stopped and are waiting for the rust to pop out. The producers hope they haven't gone too far in debt and have enough iron paid off to make it to the next hot cycle. The thing is that it never completely stops. We have family operations and working people up here going on three generations of living this life. They keep the bank payments to only what is necessary and are continually looking forward for ways to keep going. There are always a lot of high flyers living on the edge who go broke or bankrupt. Getting slow can happen for a lot of reasons. Local and world wide economies, government intervention, the eco industry, the courts and so on. When the economy took a hit in late 2007 and early 2008 the loggers held on for dear life, didn't buy any new iron and patched the old stuff till pretty thread bare. The market has picked back up in the last year and and some new iron is getting sold again. The stuff you see in the photos is in pretty remote locations and been sitting for so long that it is not economically feasible to try to get it running. When the cold cycle hit, there wasn't enough money left to haul it out for liquidation or disposal. Sometimes the company isn't making tax payments or employee insurance payments and when the word gets out that the pay checks are made of rubber, the iron gets parked where ever it is at and the workers walk away. Other times the iron you see in the photos here broke down and it just wasn't worth fixing so it got set in a clear spot and brush just grew over it. You also have to keep in mind that Washington, Oregon, British Columbia and California have been being logged for at least a hundred years. That's a lot of time for old derelict iron to accumulate. As far as the timber being all gone that isn't the case. More trees are planted than are cut. What we have are tree plantations that don't look like what many people think of as plantations. The giants are left in patches in parks and private areas and for the most part left to keep growing. What is being logged in the US now days is usually between 18" and 24" in diameter. Hope that explains a little.
Point taken , the Glory Days are gone , the Industry has gone through a major up heavel in the last ten years . The big players got bigger and have passed most of the liabilities on to the small contractor , for whom its tougher to make ends meet. I set chockers on a setting in the San Jaun vally in Febuary 1966 , in May 2006 I hauled the new growth harvested off the same setting ,there was quite a differance in the quallity of the timber. It was a sad day for me the last time I drove from Lake Cowichan to Port Renfrew all the easy to get at valley bottom stands of new growth timber are pretty much gone, what took 80 years to log first time around are gone in less than 15 years.
Yair . . . John C. and camptramp . Thanks for the explanations and I'll see if I can find those books. Cheers.
cat D8 There was a few all near each other here at a not too far away logging camp. quality is poor because it was taken with my older video camera as a still.
thanks skadill great stuff as always
1959 kw Classic old B.C. wood wagon.Video at : http://youtu.be/XxtOv_B2sDY
Hi Steve, I can't say that I do. When I worked for Straits towing we used to fly by sea plane from Vancouver, usually from the Office on Commissioner street which was on the waterfront to wherever the towboat I was working on up the coast. When I picked up a towboat in Prince Rupert or on the Charlottes I left from YVR by jet and ended up in a seaplane going to wherever the boat was. I have a few good pics flying to Tasu on the West Coast of the Charlottes from Sandspit airport by seaplane. I'll find you some interesting pics and some good stories to go with them.
Hitachi Appears to have been death by fire,and rust.
BC Coastal Line-loader 'borrowed' net pic
Gee, a few more years and the snorkel will fall off.
Unless a seagull lands on the end of the snorkel and the topping line breaks. Sad thing to see
Sure is sad, I wish we could get something like that for our logging museum. We can get one barged in, that is not an issue, but everyone would rather sell them for scrap than preserve one.
That sure would look good in your museum, be great if the owner would give it to you, and take a tax wright off.
I know where that one is, saw it 10 yrs ago.. It use to reload out of the Lake in the late 80s early 90s, doesn't look like its moved since I saw it.
There is one just north of Hardy on the mainland sitting next to an 009 rusting away. Looks like some one went bust and just walked away.
075, maybe you can go flash it up and throw it on the barge for me, maybe bring a can of ether and some fresh gear dope!
Fresh batteries and ether and the old 6 71 would most likely fire right up. Might take a few days to knock-down the alders on the road to get to the beach though.The brake bands would all be frozen to the drums to if the brakes where set. It would take two or three days and she most likely get to the beach if the drive chains weren't to badly rusted .
Yeah, the old Jimmies have so much black goop in them, they can sit for a long time and still run. There might still be a few hours of life in the old girl!
Old stuff Machine was either an old Lorain Excavator,or converted log loader(although it has a low cab),not enough left to tell.
John-Deere 540A Settling in to a long retirement
Old Washington Ex-Western Forest products machine
Don't get why it's so hard for the company's to take care of the machinery .
It sometimes gets to the point that its makes more sense to stop pouring money into a old machine and buy a new one or the old one has outlived its usefulness.
I was very lucky to have spent 15 years working in BCFP Renfrew Div. then 15 years working in Renfrew Div. and later Honeymoon Bay Operations as Fletcher Challenge, later as Timberwest of 45 years working in the woods. BCFP had great shop Foremen , Mechanic's Welder's and Maintenance Personal and good maintenance policy's. The staff and crew carried on those work ethics as BCFP turned to Fletcher Challenge ,then to Timberwest, everything went South in 2004 and 2005. Most of the operators and divers took good care of their trucks and equipment and were backed up by a good shop crew. One machine a Washington TL6 Trak loader was purchased in about 1958 it was retired in the mid 1980's ,a third of its working life it was double shifted. It was parked because the metal in the frame and turn table were fatigued, its all about good operators and a good maintenance program, when all that fell apart in the mid 2000's a lot of good equipment turned to junk!
Bob J. Copper Canyon Bob tells me this Willamette Steam Skidder is the same one that is abandoned up in Copper Canyon, check page 20 posting #287 this thread
Cat 980 loader in the weeds.
Ex Interfor Loader Stripped down UH Hitachi,decal said Hope Logging division of Interfor
IHC Dresser 175 sitting in a field.video at http://youtu.be/ABeq1IyLdrA
That's sad, looks like a nice old 980B would love to know what failed that they left this machine end up like this. We sold some old 966C's last year in not much better condition that brought $5,000!
does any one know of a shovel front for a Northwest Model 6 that hasn't been scrapped? I got Model 6 from the local scrap yard but they had already cut up the boom. Doug
I'm not sure if it's from a Northwest but a local company has had a bucket from a shovel in their yard for at least ten years. They torched it off the machine wherever they found it because there is about two feet of the stick left attached to the bucket.
thanks HD Mech I am hoping someone took the shovel front off and put on a heel boom,or parked a model 6 shovel and used it for parts. Doug
There is an entire model 6 shovel sitting here in Port McNeill. Do not know if Tim Walton will sell it though, it was his dads
Finally,a photo of an old rusty machine(above),a few shots would be great.If no one else,I love seeing the oldies.Saw this one a few years back,but am lousy with locations by choice.
Thanks 075, I thought there would be some still left on the Island. Can you ask him about it or PM me his number. I have missed too many that sat for years then got scrapped. Doug
I'm not sure if this is a Northwest Model 6, but it sure looks similar to the ones in the pictures above. If it is, and you want to know where it's hiding shoot me a PM and I'll let you know. These are the only two pictures I have, sorry...
^^ Either a Model 6 or an 80D, eh?
Toby I sent you a PM yes I am interested! Doug
Can't see if it has hook turn table roller's or not Modle 6's didn't have hook roller's.
Hitachi Shared pics from another member- Hitachi UH14
John Deere 540A Skidder Old Line Machine.video at: http://youtu.be/g7ZvmDgVF2Y
1953 Hayes Still looking strong.video at: http://youtu.be/s7R2juWZiLg
Don P Timberwest HBO Old grapples amongst the trees , at the Gordon River Shop.
rust where rust happens
Was at one time an HDX cab on top of the heap!!!!
Old KW Dump Truck Its last load is itself
Going Green A Euclid and a Terex Carcass, video at : http://youtu.be/QkZ5rUrh4zs
Old Canfor truck and machine stuff the camera found
Kind of a long wheelbase for a dump truck. Looks like they retro-fitted a long dump body onto an old log truck. Would love to see that truck restored.
Hi - would love to know where this old equipment is, if you would care to share - I am a local photographer and would love to get some photos of this great old equipment - I do not post locations for these things to prevent the wrong people seeing locations. Such amazing history! I am also looking to get to the old Bear Creek Trestle - can not find decent info on it either. I grew up in Northern BC - Terrace and love this old equipment. Looking forward to hearing from you or anyone else who may want to contribute information on locating old abandoned equipment on the island.
would like to see a pic of that truck bed in the canfor truck and equipment pic. I would love to see this stuff up close but im pretty sure I would be emotionally attached to it all in minutes
Silly me. Since it has no A frame, I vote Model 6.
There is a tangable real feeling you get standing near these screaming,clanging,squeaking,smoke blowing,beasts especially years after they were parked and forgotten and they cant even muster a pin dropping noise from themselves anymore.It's a real ghost town sense walking up to them.
More abandoned stuff Heres a pic from a find last week and part one of a 2 part video.---- http://youtu.be/d2DsRwfEuBI
Yair . . . Thanks skadill, it is kind of comforting that there are others in the world who can feel like that about machinery A few years back I spent some time with some with a couple of abandoned Allis HD41's that had been used to chain a big swag of country in the southwest. One was jacked up for final drive work and the other had the heads off. Every thing was open to the weather and apparently the story was there had been a foreclosure and the owner had walked away and left them to the bank . . . they weren't worth fixing and too far from civilisation to be worth hauling out for scrap. It was an eerie feeling, something akin to walking in a grave yard. Looking at the tired old machines with sympathetic eyes my wife was quite surprise when I became quite emotional . . . the work that had gone into them and all for naught, cracked track-frames bodgied up with bush welding, plates added whilly-nilly . . . torn off, broken and welded on trackplates, rollers slopping around on shafts with no bearings, you name it, they didn't have a chance.
Part 2 video video ---- http://youtu.be/8f-SGphz-w0
Some stuff I found this summer
scrub puller you suck. made my dang eyes water
Madill Pipe Waiting for a forest to grow up around it to yard,saves move in costs.
Is that 009 over in your neck of the woods or here on the Island? I'm trying to find a machine with one of the original Madill stickers still attached - there seems to be one of these under the front window of the cab. TorkelH posted a good pic of the sticker but now I wouldn't mind getting some dimensions so I can reproduce it. I might even take a whole whack of machine shots in case I decide to draft one for future reference.
You might also ask Contract Logger aka Rusty Grapple, or visit http://www.rustygrapple.com/ . I believe he worked for Madill for several years, and may have some resources.
Truck mount Yarder shared pic from a friend
cat 528s rusting away in Kamloops one now has bin moved and put for sale
Looks like one of the 2 only built TMM850 line loaders.I believe they are the newest line loaders ever made.
Link Belt old c series
Army Logger Not rusty,but old enough to be posted here.Video at http://youtu.be/lX3Q5QK2dG4
GMC CCKW 1944 vintage Very Rare truck now Skadill
Now that is a log truck with character and what a joy it must have been to drive. Wooden reach, cheese blocks instead of stakes and underpowered. My thanks to whoever has kept it protected from the elements, but that belongs in some parades so the public can see how the good old days were.
What a great find there, Men were men back then to drive this gem in all kinds of weather. Thanks Skadill
Gotta love that air ride driver's seat, eh? Truly a beautiful and well-preserved relic.
Good to see another saved part of history. Maybe after pulling on a cross cut saw for years the driver thought things couldn't get much better.
She still has her original steering wheel!!! They were made of wood and laminated You can see in skadill's video where it is starting to disintegrate She is a true survivor.
HDX, no work again?
Living the dream Blk prince!!!!! Whole place is like a tinderbox! Walbran to the Darling ML all the same. Have never seen the streams and rivers so low Sarita River is just a trickle Caycuse River same.Some real problems getting water if something went wrong. All the tanker fill up sites are dry. Worst thing is the loss of the Martin Mars water bombers. Always felt pretty safe knowing they were around
I take it we can blame the stinking MBAs for the demise of the Mars bombers?
The same MBAs who keep putting up the ferry fares and can't figure out why ridership keeps on going down.
I see it has been warm there at Port Alberni, we have been 20 degrees below normal. With scattered showers making things pretty damp, and chilly. Supposed to change and warm up. I hate to hear that the Mars is not flying at all, kind of makes you wonder what some elected people are thinking or if they are thinking.
It is hot here just over 30 mow and was 29 yesterday no rain for 3 weeks. A grass / truck load trees fire burning 4 miles from town and BCFS is watching to see if if can grow to get more money for next year.
Northern California is having a serious fire problem. Must have at least ten or more fires burning, the biggest has been burning south and east from Happy Camp on the Klamath River and is over 100,000 acres. Fortunately most of that is not heavily forested, some due to my Dad logging it some years back. A fire started today just south of the town of Weed which is on I/S 5 and burned right through the town and may have gotten the mill there owned by Roseburg Lumber. That mill was originally built by Long-Bell Lumber in the early 1900's. Sorry if I am off topic.
Yarder/Loader Skagit SJ-4 Combo machine
Skadill: I just read the article about your work in 'Logging and Sawmilling Journal.' Very well done. I just wanted to thank you for all your efforts to preserve BC's history. I understand your comment about an old yarder being more than than a piece of junk. I recently came across the grapple yarder from the company I used to work for. I commented to my wife that that machine had fed 50 families for more than 25 years. A piece of equipment that has done that deserves some respect. I know the scrapmen here are hot on your heels so I wish you all the best in staying ahead of them.
This was the first abandoned logging equipment that i have run across. The lake is a great swimming lake. Lots of logs jammed up at the head of the stream to the waterfall. I was there crewing on the Pacific Grace with the S.A.L.T.S. program when I was there. Rafted on the hook at Teakern Arm.
Teakern Arm lake (dont know name of lake) and heading out after a night on the hook.
Nice finds and some pretty wood boats, hard to beat the looks of a wood boat.
Gotta be some nice trout fishin' in them thar lakes........ Now I'm feeling homesick.
Cooked KW Fire & Rust
The lake is called Cassel lake and the falls are called Cassel lake falls. The big rings in the rocks by the float were used by the log towers to secure their tows when waiting for weather, We tied up there many times when I worked in the towboat industry. I go there every year. How did you enjoy the hike to the lake? An unbelievably clear warm lake. Great pictures.
Westcoaster IHC/Madill video: http://youtu.be/hXxq1MFBpk4
same cont
skidall, having never seen a yarder at work. I am guess this IH is from the 1960's. would there be any useful parts that are useable or is this one just to small ? I would of guessed that it could have life left in it guessing a new carrier would be needed.
That old IHC chassis might be a good candidate for restoration. Looks to be a heavy spec truck.
Not a long hike but sure is stinkin beautiful.
Count yourself lucky if you get your anchor back in Teakerne Arm. For years it was a major log sorting operation of MacMillan Bloedel. There are lots of bundle wires, swifter wires and deadheads on the bottom. I have been lucky, the only time I got hung up was in bundle wires which I was able to winch to the surface to untangle my anchor.
Hayes Picker Hayes HD with a Barko 130 Loader.Took this last weekend
Kw Truck originally from Terrace,BC. Elsewhere resting now.
Mmm, Kenworth with Freightliner rims?? What about the old cabover beside it??Thanks Doug.
Kinda like the story about the Peterbilt truck with a Freightliner motor. They called it a Peterliner.
The cabover beside it was /is a Hayes COE It was the one Hayes used from 1953 till 1969 when Mack took controlling interest in Hayes and the decision was made to use the "Sheller" cab that Mack used as well as Brockway because their was a surplus of them and this would free up cab building crew a little. Hayes offered these cabs in either the day cab or the sleeper cab. Diamond T also used the same cab corner windshield (rounded) that Hayes used on these. The Hayes crew was NOT happy about this move. Engineering Dept had an awful time trying to make things fit.
Stuff more postcards
stuff stuff
Old Loader truck mount cable loader
Washington Ex Canfor Yarder
Well, some time has passed Murk100. Here is the steam shovel as it sits a couple of days ago!
Older Loader loadmobile
Ihc 1973 International S7 Log Skidder with GM 4-53
gear tank drill and dump truck
Looks like they used that dump as a rock truck.
Washington swing yarder
Metal Treasure or junk depending on the beholder
noise makers gone silent
Truck mount Yarder video at: http://youtu.be/uotJeZXF7Oo
That truck and Yarder is in great shape for it age, just guessing that truck is at least 60 years old. Better shape than I am
I'm thinking Euclid.
Mack LRSW model Same as the Artic Mack's and the St Lawrence Seaway trucks There was a number of these trucks converted to mobile spar trucks
Oz Nelson , These are pictures of the remains of an old "Skidder" left in the Copper Canyon area hopefully they are still rusting away .
More
More
More
More
More
More
Thanks for the great pictures. When I first looked at the photos, I thought that it might be Willamette Iron and Steel's answer to the Lidgerwood Skidder, however those were rail mounted machines as far as I know and this clearly is/was not. If it is this rare machine, it would be the only remaining example of the Willamette combination machine and should be preserved, but the cost would be something north of astronomical. One can only hope that the scrappers do not find it, although there are a lot of online references to its general location and I see a road leads right to it. I do not see the steel tower that was needed for yarding, although there could be a lot of reasons for it being absent. Taking a second look at the photos makes me think that this was just a large yarder, probably an earlier version of the log skid mounted one at Camp 18 near Seaside, Oregon. It does not have enough drums to be a combination yarder/loading machine like the Lidgerwood and the Willamette copy, but it was built for large cable and lots of it. Anyone else want to offer an opinion?
Any word on the Roots of Motive Power Museum in Willits and their mission to reassemble the Number 5 Lidgerwood from Vail? Last I heard, it was still sitting in pieces after being transported from the Camp 6 Museum at Point Defiance Park.
It was converted to a twin diesal power and was place on wheals and dragged with cats
Probably used as a reload
Silly question...Why is logging dried up? Is it the trees are too small? I know we still buy /need wood? With the pine beetle ect I would think this iron would be going like crazy to log it out and stop the bugs? Also why are guys sitting on fairly recent iron like that t800 and those cat skidders? I am from Sask so excuse my ignorance lol. Just curious?
This is a news paper clipping I found in Bob James pictures , this I'm told is the same "Skidder" in its "Hey Days" as the one in the Copper Canyon area .
Camptramp - thanks for the old news paper photo, but I am a bit doubtful that it is the same as the rusting machine on page 31. Not enough drums and the one on page 31 appears to be a good bit shorter than the one you posted, although the design and construction are basically the same.
Washington Line loader know a guy that ran this a bunch dewatering logs.borrowed net pic.
Skagit maybe?
done for the day link belt/madill 046
skadill The pipe behind her is getting more valuable by the day!!!!
Found a matched set of Scott trucks.
More Scott pictures.
I did not think that any Scott trucks came this far West. Great find.
RCAF used a number of them Hank for fuel trucks etc. No idea of date of manufacture but you are right there is not a lot of them out here
Should of guess the Government would have them out in the West, with out dealers.
Scot Not the sleekest trucks ever imagined or created,this one was Formans from Boston Bar,BC
skadill Looks like the same spec's as the ones I posted. Maybe they all came out together as dump trucks Look like the same Reliance box's don't they.
That's one brand I never heard of.
The City of Vancouver used to run a fleet of Scot trucks at one time, the red one above is a former city truck from what I have been told.
A less decayed shot of that same truck, from Hank's Truck Pictures.
Scot trucks were built in debert, nova scotia, canada by the irving group ( the old plant fell into JD irving as opposed to Irving oil). Origionally used ford louisville cabs. And bought the production rights to hayes after mack unloaded them. The even built a couple HDX style scots for brunswick mines. Production ceased in the 80s and there were brand new cabs at the old factory up until 5 years ago.
juicer taken a few years ago by greatwestcam
Mack Loader Truck Heel Boom cable log loader-took this a few months ago.
These are in Acteon Sound. About a 2 minute walk from the dock. couple of trucks that look to have been on a plank road. The third picture is of a rail car at low tide. If you walk up the railway grade for a few kms there's a steam donkey still in the bush. I'll try and find a picture of it, or get one the next time I'm up there.
Line loader down and out
1924 Ford "C Cab" This is quite a find, a 1924 ford "C" cab. Cool pics, too bad someone doesn't try to restore it.
Bantam Old 2 or 366 size Ex Backspar
Most likely a 366 or the pre runner to the 366. The duel stacks say it is a 6v53 jimmy. The 266 had a 453.
Poclain Poclain 300
Washington Yarder think its been cut up now.
Fire/water Truck long since rushed to its last fire call in the woods
truck old logger
Is that an old White?
Sure looks like a White to me.
Looking for my uncles old trucks His company name was 93 mile trucking His trucks 1974 pacific p9 logging truck with pacific rigging 1969 kenworth dump truck lang fab box 1976 kenworth logging truck repainted gray when new owner got it 1973 pacific p9 dump truck Last photo is the 2 Pacific's and the 69 kw repainted to go to ritchie bros kamloops around 1980 thanks uncle says the 73 dump truck was bought buy one of the frist nation bands fro Ritchie bros and may still be around Kamloops thanks so much
So if that old White can't stay in sight, then I ain't gonna say no more. Now hold on, Mister White Knight. You can talk about my family or my religion, but don't be talkin' about my truck! Name that tune.
drill small custom built rock drill
Timberking tk923 Buncher long parked
Michael Dean , While hiking on a beach on the North East Coast of Vancouver Island Michael Dean and his wife came across this old Cat Arch .
Bones Yarder basement.Beban Logging name on it.
wheeled arch has mack chain drive truck wheels in it.
cabs tens upon tens of thousands of hours of stories seen through these windows I'm sure
skadill I am thinking ex-M&B Shawnigan Division HD Hayes. About 1973 model
Allis Chalmers Hd16
044 no more grapple yarder
looks to me like 143 no more
A couple here: An old steam donkey. It was taken back into town (Port McNeill) for the heritage society to do something with, not sure what happened to it: Next is an abandoned ambulance at a coastal logging camp: And an old arch, now used for to hold a mailbox. Located on the Olympic Peninsula east of Port Angeles:
I really like the ambulance picture....
Not much of this left around as a lot of the old camps got cleaned up when the scrap metal prices were high; and it was a good time to get rid of potential environmental liabilities. I took that picture in 2008.
Cat Skid cat
that cat cant be that old even
That's what I was thinking.
But, I guess the hi-drives have been out a while and the one pictured is almost barefoot the tracks are worn so bad.
Yes..At one time pretty well all Cats had hi-drives and now they are back to low drives. Wonder what that is all about.
truck mount Old and cold yarder.shared pic from friend
Pat MacMillen 1st & 2nd pictures are old truck bodies Pat found in the area he was hauling logs in , 3rd picture is an old abandon LeRoy yarder left not far off one the haul roads we used .
Pat Mac 1st picture is the remains of a fire box from an abandoned wrecked Locie . 2nd picture the remains of an old BCFP truck . 3rd picture is the remains of a pick up truck .
sitting Madill 046 and Link-Belt 3400
truck leftover truck
Trailer yarder A Euclid truck that pulled this Tyee trailer mounted Yarder around
drills Couple tank drills
Thanks To all that have posted this is some great photos. sad but great. Just anted everyone to know we appreciate it!
How in the hell can the old folks tell it ain't gonna rain no more? Ron G
Bones do not ache any more. Lol
Skagit Log Loader Rubber Tire mounted Skagit.Have seen SJ4's on same looking carrier
075 Driver on H152 was Brian Peters from Duncan. He got her after rebuild down at Hayes forest shop back in 2004-05. When he could he came over to the Franklin crew when IPL took over the bill 13 cut Hayes retained, Brian was really good driver and for the most part tried to look after 152, He was pretty well the last driver on her. He quit before the end came and for the most part she was left parked and not used. If memory serves me right she needs cab work. Would be easier to remove the cab and install a newer style one on her when time and dollars allow it. A good number of them around sitting on pallets. I will give you a call one evening OK
Sorry 075 Wrong thread posting and no way to cancel it or move it.
Sounds good HDX got lots of gossip lol
Took a hike into an abandon Skidder on Sunday here are a couple of pictures of it . 1st ones are of an old "Speeder" that was used to store extra rigging .
Pictures of Skidder .
I think I walked into that one about 15 years ago. Is the tree still standing?
Its a pretty tough hike for an old out of shape "Timberbeast" , but we made it . Started with 4 guys , 2 guys headed back about half way in . The Home Spar Tree has collapsed , it looks like the bottom section of Spar gave way , falling towards Skidder . Looks like Square lead Guyline's got hung up in New Growth trees , when Guylines came up tight , top of bottom section of Spar Tree was held in mid air . Bottom kicked forward towards Skidder and top of Spar leaned back . Some sections of top of Spar Tree are also hanging in mid air , from tight Guylines hung up in trees . For safety reasons I didn't venture under 30 - 40 ft. section hanging in mid air . Here are some pictures of Spar Tree .
Interesting. When my friend and I walked in there it was quite rotten on the base and leaning a bit but still intact. It's definitely a little more grown over than before. I have pictures from back then but they are not on the computer. Does anyone know what the carcass is that's on the side of Butler Mn about 12m? Was that a yarder or? Went flying by on the bikes Sunday but we didn't stop to look. Last time I drove by years ago I wasn't all that interested in old iron.lol
More Skidder pictures . The trail is well used for the first part , not sure if its Human or Black Bear . When we started to come across Deactivated Creek crossings and Blown Down Trees and Slides , the trail petered out and the bush got thicker , as it had rained on Saturday , we both got soaking wet .
More Skidder pictures
Do you have any idea when you guys are going to drag her out to the road and take it to Caycuse or somewhere like that to start the restoration. Too heavy to lift out so I guess it will be a cat recovery show. I am sure Timberwaste would come up with the logs for the sleigh. With all the second growth equipment down your way now you could get her out.
I don't know of anybody or group planning to retrieve the Skidder at present . There have been a few old "Timber Beasts" considering it in the pass , but know one has made a serious attempt . We really need a "Leader" and someone with "Connections" to set things up and get it ready to move out of the area it is in . Looking at the size of the Timber , I would say its ready to log , but the terrain is steep . Should logging start in that area and the road was reactivated , a Grapple Yarder and a larger Loader could probably slide the Skidder Winch off the Sleigh and on to a Lowbed ( don't know what it weighs , but the engines are gone and there are no lines on the drums) the first place to take it that comes to mind is the Museum at Lake Cowichan .
Bear Creek Skidder .
That is great Al, Now two guys have talked about it so that means it is a start. Did it have a couple 150 Cummins engines mounted on her? Could probably use 220 Cummins instead because they are still around. Still a number of your guys down there with the knowledge to put it together again. would be the only one around. Do you still have a couple sled builders around? We kept looking around Sarita area for enough to put a sled together ourselves. At least all the stuff is still there with the machine Would only be a matter of drawing a map of what is there and what you would be able to save. Is the remains of the speeder worth bringing out with the rest? Will give you a call one nite and have a BS
Sure hope that the old Bear Creek skidder can be brought out of hiding for many to see. Would be a lot of work, I am sure but sure a worth while project.
dirty4fun One of the inividuals that came out with us to the bad place with bug logs has written a number of books of interest that are well worth reading. One in particular stands out because it describes exactly what this skidder in the bush is and could be. Go to your library or even try to google this one and find the book by Stephen Hume called " A Walk With the Rainy Sisters" In there are a number of short stories and one jumps right out at you It is called " The last Donkey" If that does not motivate you nothing will LOL He also co-authored another book called "Stain upon the Sea" So of course I had to blurt out maybe we could do another book We could call it "Stain upon the Forest Floor" What an interesting fellow he is. He has been there and done that so it is all from life through his eyes.
HDX will do some looking and hope to score on the good interesting reading book. Thanks for the tip
Found the book on Ebay it is headed my direction, thanks.
Madill most of an 009
Just curious if anyone noted a mfg name on the old skidder that was recently posted. It was painted yellow, so does that mean anything, or just a common color back then?
I'm not sure what make the Skidder is (I'll check with Sid "Skidder" Smith's son Stu and get the make I'm sure he would know it . The reason it is painted Yellow is because the Skidder was put on a new Sleigh in the late 1950's and refurbished . Here are a couple of pictures of it at the "Old Harris Creek Camp" just about ready to be moved back to the Bear Creek area to resume yarding logs . Pictures are courtesy of born2clearcut / Les Way Collection .
Thank you for the pictures - sure looked a lot nicer some sixty years ago. I'm guessing that the elevated cab was added at some point, perhaps when this rebuild was completed?
Your correct the "Cab" was added when Skidder was put on new sleighed . These are pictures of Skidder rigged up , yarding and Skidder being worked on from shop truck . The Skidder was shut down in 1965 . the last time I visited it was Summer of 1966 , at that time we drove right into the "Landing" the Skidder was left on . Wish I had pictures , but I don't think I owned a Camera at the time .
These pictures are of Skidder being loaded on Lowbed for trip to Harris Creek Camp for New Sleighed . 1st picture is Skidder being loaded on Lowbed , 2nd & 3rd picture's are HDX Hayes #212 crossing Three Rivers Trestle . 4th picture is #212 with Lowbed and Skidder crossing San Juan River bridge . Pictures courtesy of born2clearcut / Les Way Collection .
These last 4 pictures show where the 2 exhaust pipes from the 2 Cummins Engines went through the roof , and the Spark arrestors were located on the ends of straight pipes , no sign of a muffler's .
Thanks again for all of the great pictures. I do have a question to ask about this machine and others like it. When is a set of drums mounted on something a "skidder" and when is it a "yarder" when they seem to essentially do the same operation? Obviously a skidder needed a spar tree to operate in most cases and a yarder had it's own steel spar. Does it have to do with how the machines were moved in the old days, skidding themselves along on the log sled the drums were mounted on?
A Skidder is a Yarder , before the Yarders were mounted on self propelled or lowbed carrier's with Steel Towers , most used wooden spar trees to create "Lift" to yard logs off side hills to reduce the chance of logs hanging up on stumps and other obstacle's . There were several systems used , the High Lead system is very basic , the Slack Line system is one that use's a Skyline that can be raised or lowered , the Skidder use's a tight skyline with a means to raise and lower a "Drop Line" from a "Bicycle" Carriage which allowed the "Turn of Logs" to be lifted clear of the ground and yarded to Home Spar Tree . I don't claim to be an expert , but I would say the "Skidder" would be the forerunner of the Long Line Yarders that were used in 1990's and early 2000's around here with a Motorized Carriage with a Drop line to lift the log's off the ground .
Found this picture of Head Rigger Fred McMurray standing on top of the last Skidder Tree he rigged at BCFP Renfrew Div. in early 1960's 1964 ? this is the same Skidder Tree that was left standing in 1965 , it was 150 ft. tall 3ft. diameter at top .
Now that's an impressive perch!
Oz Nelson , A winch found on Gordon Neva's property .
Looks like ships deck winches to me but i could be wrong
Those are my thoughts too . What are the "Hubs" on the ends of of drum shafts for pulling with Rope called , the term we used to use is know longer politically correct.
I think they are called Capstan heads
Is it possible that those "Capstan Heads" were used for drive belts much like in old factory pictures. That might explain why there is one on each drum? Just a WAG on my part, but back in the day, most machinery was driven by wide leather belting.
I would guess that they were used to pull haywire and other general chores around the landing.
past the pavement things that are
Underwater Log Loader Shared photo and video. Video at- https://youtu.be/yZEQw9JJMfg
found some old junk in the backend today .....also says Griffin Tacoma on the wheels
Neat stuff!
know anything about it?
I know I wish that was in my front yard but that's about it.lol Hopefully it stays put or gets hauled out to a hoarder of cool old things and not a scrapyard. Thanks for posting the pictures.
After hiking into the Old Bear Creek Skidder , I had coffee with an old friend Bruce Christiscn , who with his friend Chris Sadler decided to hike in and check on the Old Skidder , here are the pictures they brought back . 1st pictures show Bruce sitting on the Skidder having lunch .
Cool....I am sure the old girl enjoyed the company....
Bruce Christison , Chris Sadler . Bear Creek Skidder .
Bruce Christison / Chris Sadler .Bear Cr. Skidder .
Man, that is badass. Keep that location under your hat boys, lotsa idiots around!
Bruce Christison / Chris Sadler . Bear Cr. Skidder .
Bruce Christison / Chris Sadler , Bear Creek Skidder .
Thanks for the photos - I wonder how many Mbf of timber that old girl skidded to the landing in her lifetime?
Bruce Christison / Chris Sadler , Bear Creek Skidder .
Bruce Christison / Chris Sadler , Old Speeder that was used to house extra Rigging for Bear Creek Skidder .
When Jim Burns mentioned he had pictures of a "Bone Yard" in the Queen Charlotte Islands , I didn't realize he ment a Grave Yard . Perhaps some of the Souls laid to rest after a tragic mishap in the Logging Industry in this Grave Yard are watching over the reminiscence of a their era , when Fore and Aft Roads were in use . If you look closely at the moss covered remains , there are remains of a Foe and Aft Road a Turn Table and Solid Rubber Tired Trucks .
Wow....very cool.I am sure there is a story there to be told....Notice the boot sitting on the front tire....
Jim Burns , Queen Charlotte Islands .
quiet time more pieces
skadill I hope you closed the drivers door for them. What an old classic she is. Early 60's vintage
Found this old girl yesterday in a patch of timber where things had gone very wrong for someone.
Jim Burns Queen Charlotte Islands .
Jim Burns , Queen Charlotte Islands .
Waiting/Wading in the weeds Some of an old yarder/loader.Skagit I think
009 Madill yarder
Church Creek, on Louise Island in the Queen Charlottes. The site of the old Haida village of New Kloo,the graveyard is from the 1890's I believe. Trucks are from the 20's but used during the WW2 period.
A couple of pictures my nephew Blake Wilson's friend took up Belize Inlet of an abandoned Yarder in Belize Inlet
Blake Wilson , more pictures of abandoned Yarder in Belize Inlet .
Blake Wilson , pictures of an abandoned truck in Acteon Sound .
These two pictures were posted on a marine page that I belong to. Although the images appear to be a boiler they are not. They are not related to a de-salinator that converts sea water to fresh water. I've worked on large scotch marine boilers and evaporators so I'd already figured that one out. It was guessed that it was the lost nuke accidentally dropped off our coast in the 60s by an American bomber, it wasn't that either. It was found in 8 meters of water (about 26 feet deep). So if it isn't a bomb and it isn't marine, what is it. The object was determined to be a steel piece of industrial equipment with yellow paint. The yellow paint made me think logging equipment. It measures approximately 5.5 meters in length and 1 meter in height. It was first picked up on a RCN ship sonar, they then deployed an (ROV) Remote Operated Vehicle from the deck of HMCS Yellowknife. I'm attaching pictures to see if anyone can figure out what it is. The Navy knows what it is but no one has figured it out yet. Any Guesses.
Kennedy Lake Division January 2002. I got the location of this from Steve Wilson and after looking at it I asked Ken Wadden if he wanted to go for a drive one day. I never had the fortune of working with him but that day was like having a walking/talking encyclopedia with me. He told me the sleigh was for a yarder and why, what company had owned it, who operated it and the approximate years it was logging there. We went into the old Toquart iron mine site and a small mill was working there and some of the employees were living in campers away from the mill. We walked around in one spot near a camper and there was a big concrete slab on the ground which I had no idea what it was about. Ken told me it covered a mine shaft that was approximately 1000 feet deep. There was no evidence of ground sloughing and I'm sure there's a lot of water in it but all the same...
Yes I know about this one boom and cab are in Campbell river and the burned up yarder is in a insurance claim
mill Circular mill
I discovered these in August 2004 after Steve Wilson told me about them. I had to look up the valve in an Air Brake Manual, it's a BCP-56, how could I forget that number?
callingtheshop, We have two of these babies in inventory. A left, and a right. Please specify the one you want. lol.
Looks to be a little better than the one I posted.
I'm lucky I don't live in western Canada. I would be dragging home equipment all the time. There are some nice machines out there.
truckdoctor Good to hear from you again Hope all is well with you and your shop truck Happy New Year And YES you would fit right in out here
Thanks. I've been bad about posting this last year. Now I'm trying to catch up with whats going on. Five inches of rain and some snow on top makes it easy to be on the computer. Looking through this post, I'm surprised to see that Cat high track skidder parked a few pages back. Those are gold down in this area. And not just because of the paint color.
Love seeing all this great stuff. Sad in a way but better than being cut up for scrap!! Glad to see the old Skidder is still there. Would be neat to see it salvaged and set up at a museum . Thanks for sharing!!!
put these years ago in hayes thread,but fit here good too.
Looks a lot like Swan Neva #9
I think your correct 6-110 check page #7 Neva Contracting , page #11 Posting #209 to compare . Good eye .
Very Interesting!! always wondered what ever happened to some of those trucks after the auction. All before my time!
View attachment 166768 View attachment 166768
Boulder Bill .
That would be really nice yard art...Look at the size of the spring pack on the rear..
[/ATTACH]
Thank you for the serial number plate. 009-S 3-400 with GM12VA on M6 carrier. Delivered to a customer in Hope in January 1966. It was also delivered an identical machine to the same customer in June 1966. Was it one more there, Skadill?
Here's another almost identical 009 3-400 (three drums - 400 hp) delivered to Smith Cove in Alaska in April 1966.
Some more pictures
Thanks for posting those pics Torkel. Good to see shots of old Yarders instead of the modern machines. These are some recent shots of a machine I stumbled upon last fall. They have moved to another location from where they were.[/ATTACH]
Boulder Bill . Mesachie Lake . Wayne Robertson's Kenworth .
Oz Nelson , in Nitinat Valley
Oz Nelson , Nitinat Valley .
Oz Nelson , Nitinat Valley .
Are any of these old Hayes trucks laying around in a saveable condition or are most too far gone?
Interesting pictures, thanks for posting. LeRoi was typically a brand name found on air compressors. Looks like someone repowered a skidder using an engine from a compressor, but I could be wrong, happens a lot. As I looked at the pictures, I found my self wondering how long it would take for time and mother nature to rust all that heavy iron away. At least several hundred years I would think? Any idea why it is out there and abandoned in place. Obsolete, went broke, or??
Ernie Harrison , Timberwest , HBO I'm told this piece of pipe grown into the trees was used to bring water down the hill in Caycuse area to provide water for a Steam Donkey and was left behind when Steam Donkey left area .
[/ATTACH]
Two Hayes trucks both HD models. Look in background 2 different Terex 4x2 logging trucks. I wonder who owned them before they ended here in Squamish 2000
little gas n a fresh battery they`d drive right out
Old Truck Mounted Heel Boom,in the weeds,took photos a few years ago.
I have all ways hated see machines rot away like that. Some of them look like they could work after you replaced the hoses, oil, filters, and maybe a seal or two.
Yes, I’m the same. I would rather someone else took over a machine rather than just leave it to rust away. I find it hard to understand why it is all just abandoned. I would have thought there was some value still left when they stopped working even as parts or scrap. Graham
some rough sleddin in those pics
Camptramp, what years do you think that winch set was used in Oz Nelson , Nitinat Valley ?
Some time between 1940's - early 1960's .
Camptramp,how you been? Not heard from you in long time
I'm here hanging out bp , you might be hearing more from me in the New Year . I think I have found some pictures to borrow . Presently I'm working on a polite "Exit Plan" from my part time on call Pebble Hauling Position , down grading to call me last if your desperate , in dire need of a Pebble Hauler Driver . They've been a great crew to work with , but it's time to move on in life .
You're a lot more gracious about it than my hooktender was Wednesday, he just hung his bug on the yarder and walked down the road. That says a lot about his hooking skills.
An FWD brand Short Log Truck.Photo taken today
An old IH230
I love the old equipment! I also like the bed on the ford pickup!
Hayes No1, where did you come across this old International F210D, Powell River area ?? Looks like one of the three my Dad purchased new in 1964. Would really like to visit it if it still exists.
In Port McNeill industrial area - Twin Peaks Rd.
Thanks Hayes No1, here is a picture of Number 3 in the early 1960s working in Franklin Camp A area. Out of four I-H F210D trucks, 3-1964s and 1-1966, this one stayed in Dad's fleet the longest. Around 74 he sold the truck and it became Tom Young's first truck. Tom traded it in on a new International Paystar late 1975 or early 1976. If it still exists it is the only survivor. Was the picture recent ??
Have another question for you Hayes No1. I went on Google Earth and that whole road is contractor yards and small mills. Can you give me a little more detailed location information. It's a long trip for me (but definitely not the distances you travel) and I want to be sure to locate the truck if I can go. I recently got skunked on a hunt in the Woss area and was thoroughly disappointed so I hope not to repeat that blunder.
Hayes No1 ignore post #650 …. I found the spot !! When were you last on the Island ??
I took the picture in August this year. You only have to drive aproximately 200 meters on Twin Peaks Road and you will find the IH on your left side
Shared pic from 2008.Truck had a recent engine rebuild-thus the nice green paint,it went off the road,stayed running on its side or roof,wrecked the engine,truck was put in boneyard,and scrapped in 2008.Pitt Lake,BC
Squamish scrap yard early march
Some more pics, equipment came from Pemberton
Pemberton in 1978.
2012,same yarder,I probably posted this before here i'm sure years ago.
What hoist is on that truck?
One like that sitting along I-90 up by Easton
That yarder is still there? It is a BU-50 hoist with a 6 guyline Madill tube on an Autocar truck. Paul Valentine owns it.
An old preload trailer...
So sad to see these machines cast away......
Is this abandoned?
Shared and appreciated photos,by a fellow iron enthuisiast that sends them to me to share.
The P-16 still looks salvageable.40-86....is that a CZ number ???
Continued shared pics
That is a CZ logging truck number . And it would have continued to be used by Fletcher Challenge Canada and Timberwest .
I guess both P16 are er CZ trucks...
[/ATTACH]
Old off highway logging trailers
Shared pics
An Hayes HDX
Retired and just plane tired
What about the fire truck in the background?
Here is one of the pics, have some more somewhere. Early Kenworth
Shared Pics
Pacific/Dragon Wagon mounted yarder
Wow, that one takes me back. Been a long long time since I worked on a dragon wagon. They were right at the end of the best before date when I started my apprenticeship.
Old Mack LT model
Always liked those LTL's, and Neah Bay is about as far west as your going to go in Washington State without getting your feet wet.
A pile of rusty stuff here. and the pile goes on and on.
Yes you are right - pictures were taken near Port Angeles in Summer 1982
I found this picture on the internet. An old Hayes dump truck from the 40´s being used for a mountainbike track.
I think that's Ray Stockwells old truck from Sechelt. They made a gravity park for mountain bikes. Throw your bike in back of truck drive up and ride down
Sadly I am pretty sure you are right. I saw her first time Way back in 2000 with a black Hayes Pete cabover. I was told that the old dump truck was rescued for restoration but now it well end up as junk. Well kids will enjoy her and she is getting her 3rd life. I went to Sechelt this Summer but could not find any Hayes. I was told there was a red Hayes cabover still running North of Sechelt. Does anyone know about this truck?
I hate seeing trees growing through equipment! Thanks for the photo anyway.
Pitt Lake around 2008,shared pics
Wow, a Skagit BU-99, from what I am able to see. Not too many of them around anymore, I only know about two at Sterling Breen Crushing in Centralia, WA and one at Wayne Stone Logging.
Is that the Cat 969 tractor used as an off-highway logging truck? an
It isn't. I have posted black and white Finning photos of the logging truck one from when it was working somewhere here years back.
Shared pics from a few years ago. fully rigged Tower around Port Neville,B.C. looks to have been there for decades
Actually I think that might be a 769 Cat and it looks like the pin hole for the dump body are on the frame at the back. Then again it could be a 773, been a few years since I worked on either of them to spot any details.
modern day version of the fate of many steam donkeys- abandoned at last job - would like to know the full story
Sorry, meant of course 769...
There used to be a BU-80 that had been walked away from just like that on the north side of Germany Creek.
You can always tell when they were logging old growth because the slash pile never seems to rot down. The second third growth corn that they logged today is rotted out before the reprod is knee high.
Those were left so they can log the next growth.... Ed
Shared pic from few years ago. Literally 'left to rust' in the salt water on the B.C. coast. Divers found it while doing a fishery type survey for a proposed log dump location. Those are fish swimming around the log loader. I posted this somehwhere ,sometime, but its here again now.
I don't want to say it was common but it was definitely not unheard of for S.E. Alaska barges to go out in the middle of the night loaded with equipment only to be seen back at Port empty in the morning.
A true connoisseur of shovels should be able to identify the machine underneath all the barnacles.
Possibly a Link Belt , Lima or Merrian .
Thats known as "structure" to a fisherman...lol Ed
What I wouldn't give to go iron hunting with you one day. I live just west of Kamloops, so I'm really not far away, and like you, I don't want to see these gems pillaged or scrapped.
The thing reminds of a Poclain but is just doesn't strike me just right about that impression. Lots of fish plates on the boom though.
Sad to see but maybe some will be…
Boy they got all the good out of that 1800 didn't they?
Does look like a Chapman 1800
A company located in Vancouver B.C. Chapman Industries started modifying Lorain Excavators to create hydraulic Log Loaders in the late 1960's or early 1970's , by the mid to late 1970's they were building the Chapman 1800 which became the Cypress 1800 . Here's a L orain Loader at Malibu 1977
Here is a Cypress 1825 C , mid 1990's
Why would anyone beach a boom boat and walk away?
I am guessing that he couldn't walk on water. I am close to it with my size 16 Buster Browns on.
That boat looks like one of the Ville class goverment tugs that were around usually bought from goverment surplus sales.
Nauticapedia.ca is a great resource for the history of West Coast tug boating and boat history. I can't read the name on the tug to look it up...
Found this page on that site, 64Pacific. http://nauticapedia.ca/Gallery/Shawville.php Thanks for posting that site, I'm gonna spend some time poking around for sure!
Looks like another mystery solved .
Peter Mortensen Collection These pictures look to be an old Steam Yarder and Sleigh , probably in San Juan Valley
I always looked at those 1" and 1-1/2 " bolts that tied those sleds together thinking how long it took to cut a thread like that by hand. I've cut a few 1" threads by hand and it wasn't a very fast process.
Peter Mortensen Collection The remains of an old Logging Truck in San Juan Valley
Is this still around in whatever is left? Any ideas on a location? Can someone pm me
s
Hey are you able to give me a location to this? Thanks
Any chance you or whoever got those photos has a serial tag photo? That's a t110 HD carrier and it appears to be a 98 with an additional drum.
Skadill does not give out any Information, that’s been his policy since day one. And you were kinda rude in asking
almost every post he has made is about asking. In his defense he did ask about old railways and has seen evidence of the roadbed, so he is running around up there. I hope to do so myself some day, taking the 5th wheel across for a summer and leaving it there.
I totally agree with Skadill
Has to be worlds biggest log loader
Boy if the price of scrap ever came back up a guy could be rich!
Nothing rude. Love exploring. Helps when I have a general area to look in. What's wrong with being interested in bc mining logging rail history .
Post up some pictures.
Well I tried unsuccessfully to find the bear creek skidder today. Got absolutely soaked. Found the old Bear creek trestle that was fricking impressive for what's left and how vertical the one side was vs other side being easier to climb down. Remembering what it used to be. Photo of old bear creek trestle from today
It’s the way you asked. Most of these machines are on private land. You have to get permission to take pictures by the owner with the understanding that their location not be told. Just because you just take pictures , doesn’t mean some other person or person’s would do the same. These machines are still around because the owners have kept the locations Unknown ,Also there’s an insurance liability, most owners are private people & don’t want to deal with people, I was one of them, word got out about our collection , it was a pain in the *** We are lucky to have people like Skadill . Don’t kid yourself, a picture can give you a general idea where the machines are. scrappers are vultures. If you pm‘ed Skadill you would get basically the same answer, which you should have done!. Lose lip’s sink ship’s.
I heard a story years ago that Scadill posted some pics of some very old trucks on a Island..I have a pics. He disclosed there location and a scrap guy came in and took all the trucks..That mistake will never happen again...
Your pics, @diamondtguy ? Those are great with the ferns and moss. It's like a truck garden.
I wasn't meaning to scrap equipment that was left out there that somebody wandered across. I was meaning like that old komatsu and stuff in the other post that are obviously at an old mill site or reload and someone still owns them. Machines left out in the woods need to stay there as they are melting back into the earth as intended.
Suicide Trestle Bridge.
I believe the pics are Skadills...
Those were referred to as the "Doriston Trucks" on the Sunshine Coast, BC. I never saw them, but if you google that term, the story and photos come up, which gave too much information that led to their demise. Also Eric-"Rusty Grapple" member in his awesome thread 'Alaskan Logging Equipment left to Rust" had people figure out where full yarders were sitting in a rock quarry, and they got stolen by scrappers.The owner was not impressed. So it it just standard plumbing practice here now to enjoy the photos and sort of leave it at that. Todd
I have been running a serious joke on my Old crawler thread about scraping old equipment, It can cause some hate and discontent. But I too have photos of trucks that I won't post, those remain off limits. I traveled allot by motorcycle and carried high powered binoculars & always a camera. * One such photo {I can tell make/model} is of a 1955 Diamond T 951. I happened upon it looking through the binoc's on a road that topped a bluff. And along came this pickup. Can I help you? Oh I just stopped taking a break and looking for old trucks to photo, I see one over by those trees about a 1/4 mile away looks like a T. And that's going to stay there ain't for sale it's rotting away anyhow. Oh I don't want to buy I just take photos of old trucks. Oh well in that case----That's a grave marker--my grandpa, he bought that truck new, one of the few things he liked, wanted to be buried on the farm where the trees are, so that's where the truck ended up, dad put it there. Could I take a photo of it? Yeah sure, I'll drive you down there. Made a deal with him, I never show the photo. Diamond T 951's are rare only a few left, the way folks are these days someone would take it.
Thanks for gathering the photos, Todd.
I remember Eric talking about those yarders that were in the rock pit that disappeared. You've got to have a hell of an operation to go cut up a yarder and haul it off for scrap. Ain't nobody in a Dodge with some map torches doing that
Heard it ran when parked. But was left behind early 2000s? after they logged this area because it was too heavy for the bridge to support taking it out so it was left behind. Judging from what was written inside same guy ran it for 7 plus years till it was parked.
That's too bad as it looks like it was maintained well. Even has nice rubber still.
VERY RARE late skagit donkey. Should be in a museum but it’s long stuck to rot now. Someone tell me about it please!
more donkey
Forgotten to the forest
This was absolutely impressive. Found on the second time down the trail. Previous time ran out of daylight and weren't sure if we were in the right area. Could smell old machinery then saw the cables in the trees and the speeder to my left. Didn't realize how big it really was. Thanks to those who gave me areas to start looking and narrowing it down. Definitely not letting anyone know about this..well except the surveyors who have been out marking the area which helped with finding the road location.
I'm sure this question has been asked before, and probably zero details on this particular site are known any more, but what happened that these operations just switched the keys off and never came back? I can't imagine leaving a machine of any kind for nature to absorb back.
Broke. When you go broke you're not spending any money to move equipment out of the woods that you don't have another job for or can't pay for.
Understood, but if the machinery was paid for, surely someone somewhere would have been willing to pack it out? And if it wasn't, I can understand a lien-holder not wanting to pay to haul it out, but they didn't want to take what they could get from scrappers either?
A lot of B.C. logging operations are/were in very remote locations, quite often the cost of a barge ride to go retrieve equipment wasn't worth it, so equipment simply got left in the bush.
All of it was pretty much depreciated out when it was abandoned. That affects the math too.
3 years ago SEAlaska did not want to pay for us to clean up the mess left behind from the logging operations when they shut the forest down and the companies went bankrupt. Much of it was left.
That Skidder finished that setting in the fall of 1964 or 65 . Changes were happening in the forest industry in the mid to late 1950's wooden spar trees and heal boom log loaders using tongs were being replaced with mobile log loaders using grapples . wooden spar trees were being replaced by steel towers . The last wooden spar tree was used in the spring of 1966 . When that skidder finished that setting , it was the end of an era . There were a couple of bridges that may not have been capable of hauling that much weight over them . For what ever reason the skidder was left where it sits . The home tree was left standing with Bull Blocks and such stripped from it . The yarder its self had the engines and lines and anything that could be recycled stripped off it . So there it sits rotting and rusting away .
I swear Ive seen this posted before but after looking through so many pages I cant find it or info on it.
Chapman?
Saw this recently on utube. Anyone pm me location. Maybe sarita area? There was a old shop from 50s abandoned as well.