Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Beating the Sun’s radiant heat load in a cab w or w/o AC

treemuncher ยท 2022-06-14 23:24

I purchased some Sunshield paint last year to try on the roof tops of my equipment to cut down on the heat loading on hot summer days. The day in the fall that I applied it I realized it was working. Now that the heat has really kicked in and I put on a second coat, its performance has made me a believer that it is well worth the cost. I went ahead and painted the roof of my Kubota M120 that always had a tough time keeping the cab cool in temps above 85. 96 degrees and high humidity today and a cool cab. I've even painted the roof of the Freightliner as well as 3 other cabs. I'm now looking to get pricing from a painting contractor to get my roof done on the building. It should cut down on the AC bills. It does what it claims - temps don't rise above ambient temp no matter how much sun hits the treated surface. It has 4 types of ceramic in the paint according to what I've read. If you want to beat the heat that gets transferred through a roof, you might want to look into this product. Link: https://www.homedepot.com/p/SUNSHIELD-5-Gal-Radiant-Barrier-for-Roofs-and-Exteriors-312/202509784

Replies2
  1. #1muddog19752022-06-14 23:53

    Thanks for sharing! Anything to try to beat this heat. This humidity is awful this year.

  2. #2Old Doug2022-06-15 10:08

    I dont under stand why people put dark color roofs on their houses.I put a light gray metal roof on my house with the aluminum foil bubble wrap under it . I did some teat with the foil wrap and it did help with the sun.