Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bent axle or housing or hub or….

Titantn ยท 2011-12-28 16:57

My dad and are are the proud new owners of a 2003 Case 75XT. We're towing it home as I type this. Unfortunately we noticed that one of the rear wheels is bent. It's not the wheel, but the axle or hub or something else. It does not wobble when rolling. It's just bent in at the top. Thoughts? Ideas? What are we looking at for a repair? Thanks.

Replies9
  1. #1alrman2011-12-28 17:37

    If it is not wobbling - nothing is bent, unlikely to ever bend an axle. Axle bearings are probably the problem. Raise the wheel off the ground to check for movement.

  2. #2KSSS2011-12-28 19:43

    Axles tend to break, but never heard of one bending. I have bent a number of rims but never lost a wheel bearing or broke an axle.

  3. #3pointrow2011-12-28 20:46

    I agree if rim or axel are bent they would cause a woble back and forth. Check bearings.

  4. #4rare ss2011-12-28 22:11

    I've had the diff housing break in half on an old Mercedes tractor, first noticed it from the excessive camber on the back wheels Was due to the application though, having a 13,500L water cart behind it mounted on a 5th wheel

  5. #5Titantn2011-12-28 22:34

    This makes a lot of sense and is likely the issue. Thanks for all the responses. Assuming it is the bearings, is this a possible job for a do-it-yourselfer? Wondering if you need any special, or heavy duty tools. Thanks again.

  6. #6Wick2011-12-29 07:12

    Re: Skid steer axle mounts Have worked on a similar problem on an earlier model,It was quite a while back but the sides of the chain cases ( where the axle carrier bolts on ) had cracked along the bottom corner ( could be seen by oil leaking along bottoms of cases ) and had bent the sidewalls of the cases in at the top of the carriers as the sidewalls are only around 1/4 inch thick plate, the fix was to drain the oil/grease from the cases, I can't be certain but I think I had to bucket it out with a tin can as I don't think there was a drain plug low enough, anyway, remove the chains and sprockets and axle carriers to straighten and weld. On the one I repaired I cut windows in the cases and welded in heavier plate to strengthen the area,( plate needs to finish flush with outside surface of cases to keep chains / sprockets in alignment, cut the holes and redrilled the mounting bolt holes and assembled, Probably a job best done by a competent welder/engineer as all welding needs to be done from the outside, and I think the holes were spiggoted at the mounting boss ( accurate holes required ). Hope this helps.

  7. #7alrman2011-12-29 07:28

    If it is axle bearings - not real technical & no special tools. Good impact gun will make it easier though.

  8. #8Titantn2011-12-29 09:31

    Thanks so much. This diagram really helps. I have a good impact so this doesn't look too tough.

  9. #9rikbolen2012-05-09 12:43

    anyone know how to remove the front axel from a case 580se? sorry to post here but i cant seem to start a thread