Hey everyone, So I guess I got too close to a rock with my left front wheel and bent the lip of the rim enough so the air came out. I dunno if bent is accurate, perhaps folded over is a better description. There was around 40 lbs in there so I probably just full on drove into the rock with a full bucket or some nonsense. '97 JD 310d. So what do I do now? Planning on taking it to the tire shop tomorrow so they can remove it and I'm gonna try to bend it straight with monkey wrenches, visegrips, hammers, bigger hammers, etc. Half expecting it to crack so I'm taking a welder too just in case. Then I'll have the tire reinstalled with an inner tube and hope it works. Anything I'm missing? Any advice? Thanks?
If you're going to all that trouble o try to straighten it back then heat is your friend... you'll need a good oxy/ac outfit with a rosebud tip, this should lessen the chances of cracking the rim and having to weld on a wheel is never a good thing unless you really know how to weld perfect
Thanks for the tip! Maybe they'll have a torch at the tire shop. to complicate everything further, my car's differential blew up the other day so I'm relying on others to take me to town from out in the country. F'ing party never stops, the car's gonna cost like 1k to fix and I'm trying to carry backhoe wheels on the bus or in a taxi.
If all you did was bend the rim so the bead won’t seal ,you could probably get away with just a tube. Photos would help.
I bent the front rim on tractor( hidden stump). I removed the tire, bolted the rim to the floor and using a BFH, beat it close enough to seal again. Sorry, no pictures. Cam
Just an update, went to the local tire shop and we beat the rim with a big hammer until it was ready to cooperate. Put in an inner tube and everything is fine. This one didn't require too much thinking. Most of the work involved coordinating with a buddy to get the thing to town and back since my car was out. But everything's fixed and life is good. Thanks for the advice and experiences!
Good to hear