On our D6C Dozer, it had a new Berco undercarriage on it when I bought the machine & my question is, one of the bottom rollers has a slight leak part of the time. Where the threaded pipe plug would normally be on a Cat roller, to check the oil level, there is a rubber bung instead on all the rollers. Anyone know if these be popped out or somehow extracted with a tool, to check the oil level in the rollers? I have noticed on this forum that Cat vs aftermarket undercarriage components tends to be a very controversial topic, but except for this small leak problem, I have had no trouble with the Berco undercarriage so far....... Perhaps the worst is yet to come?
Well, the plugs used on track pins are generally drilled and pulled if I recall correctly, it's been twenty years.
The rubber plugs are a "fit & forget" sort of deal compared to the threaded plugs. Drilling the plug out is the only way I know of removing it. If you pull the roller apart and replace the face seal that is leaking then replacing the plug at the same time would allow you to fill the new roller with oil.
Ok, so perhaps new plugs are available to "re plug" the opening, or drill & tap the opening & install a pipe plug the 2nd time?
Maybe plugs are available from Berco as a spare part..? I think you'd have a job on your hands trying to tap that shaft, it's hardened. Or at least on a Cat roller it is, but on the Cat roller the thread is formed before it's induction hardened and then simply cleaned up afterwards ......
Can probably buy a CAT track pin stopper close enough to drive in there?
As Berco undercarriage is basically copied from Cat you'd think so, but I wouldn't put money on it.
http://leecat.theleeco.com/ecatalog/weblink/lee-plugs/en/306=PLGA Maybe ?
Nice!
They are, but with them being metal it would appear that reaming is involved in order to fit the inner plug. The Cat design of rubber stopper with a plastic plug driven into the centre is a bit more user friendly for this application IMO. To the OP. Could you post a photo of the plug with a tape measure alongside it to give an idea of scale.
I have one one my desk somewhere (it's a sedmintary filing system, it's in layers) the outer shell is aluminum, they claim they are used in "as cast" core holes.
I was wrong, it's the outer plug. See below, taken from your link .......
I see that now, maybe another vendor, these things are plentyfull, I just posted my first link, but there are others (probably all under the "parker" umbrella now) Ihttp://www.eisinserts.com/index.html No reaming, just drilled.
That's about the best I could to with measuring, being recessed is difficult to measure.
That's perfect. I would say from that photo that that setup is identical (or as near as damnit) to a Cat plug/stopper. The plug (black part) is rubber, the stopper (centre part) is a clear hard-ish plastic. The Cat Part Numbers are 9G-4872 for the plug & 6Y-0473 for the stopper. $4 for the pair. I cannot 100% guarantee that they will fit but from your photo I think they will.
Ok, thanks.....we will check it out.