Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Best attachments for cleaning up cleared woods?

Dbchaplin · 2017-09-30 20:25

I have a Case 40XT and a Prime Attachments Rock and Root Grapple bucket and have been clearing years of overgrown honeysuckle, dead trees, and brush from our 5 acre property. The grapple is amazing and I love it but I'm looking for advice on what skid steer attachment would work best for clearing up the 20+ years of limbs, sticks, and things that are all over the ground. I rented a tractor with a landscape rake that worked amazing but it was really difficult to navigate around the trees and stuff. I'm not taking out any big trees from the woods, just honeysuckle, dead trees, and a bunch of Honeylocust. The grapple bucket works great for digging out honeysuckle but not so grate to pick up the fine stuff all over. The tractor with the landscape rake was amazing but it is $200+ a day to rent so i was hoping to find something for the skid steer i already own. I've seen Harley rakes and rockhounds at the local rental place but im not sure that is the best solution to get the sticks, leaves, and thorns from the locust trees. Any suggestions? I plan to Harley rake a portion of it for seeding but not sure how well that would do cleaning up all the limbs, sticks, and leaves.

Replies3
  1. #1DIYDAVE2017-09-30 20:39

    IMHO, this is the ideal territory to use a york rake on... You could get a used one, pretty cheap, and rig up an attachment plate to the skid steer. If you can find one with the gauge wheels, so much the better...

  2. #2JS3002017-09-30 21:00

    Do a google search for a skid steer brush rake. They cost around $800. I haven't gotten one for the skid yet but have one on a dozer and they work great for cleaning up limbs left behind from clearing.

  3. #3seville0092017-10-01 13:09

    If you have a brush hog, just go around a few times and chop it up and let it compost into the soil. Or after you’ve chopped it up, run a finish mower over it.