I am building a truck to haul a 20,000lb load on a 10,000lb trailer. Tellehandelers small dozers and ect. Can anyone recommend a heavy duty automatic transmission that would be able to handle this? ……. and be reliable. I already have a ram 5500 that supposedly has a 34,000 pound towing capacity but I don’t want to test that. I’m looking to build something that can do it reliably within its capabilities.
There are basically only two choices. MT643 etc mechanical and the MD3060/3000 series electronic. The 3000 series are by far the better choice but going to have to be wired up ect.
I'd almost go with a manual for better engine braking. If your getting a old Allison get the 653, 5 gears over 4.
Let me preface this by saying I am not a mechanic. The MD3060 in my International 4700 had a separate TCM for the tranny that was behind the back seat. What inputs does it need from the engine to work correctly since its a separate unit?
Something like engine speed, load, and throttle position. I guess it wants the info over can, if that's the case you probably can run a engine controller to convert the mechanical engine data over to can. Shortly I'd just run the 653 if you can find one.
What kind of truck are you planning to "build" this out of? I've had a couple 8.3's (manual injection pumps) with 13 speeds behind them, and I've got newer 8.3's (ISL electronic) with Allison's behind them. Makes a difference what 8.3 we are talking about. If you can find a military truck with a manual injection pump 8.3 they have allison's bolted up to them. If your 8.3 is from a manual transmission truck, you're going to need a different bell housing to mate up to a allison. If you can't give out a little more info, its going to be hard for anyone to give any advice, other than just "allison".
Get a class A, buy a Class 8 with engine brake, with GVW of 48,000. Your going to end up there anyway sooner or later.
The 3060 was used behind mechanical 8.3's. It is an electronic transmission, but needs relatively little engine info, I believe there may be an added on throttle position sensor. I don't believe there's an engine speed sensor needed, that can come from the trans input and output. There are various brake and neutral interlock relays tied in. But nothing more difficult than any other engine swap, IF you're starting with the correct parts, usually a complete vehicle. Any time anybody mentions "building a truck" I'm a little curious what they mean, as you'll never buy the parts for what you could buy the whole thing for??? If I wanted an 8.3 with an allison, I'd buy one, even if you're going to swap it into another truck. It might be that allisons from electronic engines would be much more difficult to adapt to a mechanical engine.
I have an old for 454 dump truck I believe it’s a C 7000.
I think you could find a old pepsi/ budwieser or penske truck, with a auto and engine you could live with, for far less money and time spent, than to put a 8.3 and a allison into a c7000. The time is going to be the killer, as well as a lot of running around getting parts. I've repowered several cranes, but the value was in the cranes themselves, I couldn't justify the time and expense into a old truck.
Does the c7000 have a 454 gas in it?