here’s specific one… iowa farmer. Lots of forest. I do a ton with forestry (mulching, sheers, spade, tree puller). I also do a lot with minor dirt work, augers, fencing, etc. I’d call my skid steer needs: >50% forestry. Do too many other things to need a dedicated machine. Will run Vail mulcher which is amazing. All dealers are about equal & equal distance. Down to: 1) ASV RT-120F (several folks selling them said to NOT get the new 135f until bugs are worked out). So low hour 120f would be it. 2) 299d3 XE with land management package 3) Takeuchi TL12 Pro/con of all as far as I can gather. & Some cons will be for all of them: the emissions nightmares. Can’t be avoided other than deletes which is another discussion. ASV: PRO: better ride. Won’t throw tracks. Tons of HP & hydraulic power. Mulching machines with all protection right there. Better in mud. Cummins diesel. Comfy. Massive ground clearance vs anything else out there. Fastest ground speed. Cons: more to maintain with undercarriage. Not as capable on construction or other uses im not doing anyways. Expensive components when do go out (like $10k for hydro pump). Could be $10k if got all components for UC. Resale bit worse than others. Dudes sell them at 1500 hours if they mulch cause machines need so much work & they beat the crap out of them. I’ll avoid those though. Cat 299d3 xe, PRO’S: seem to be tough machines. Good resale. Lots of them Out there to buy new or low hour used. Almost as good of hydro flow & HP as Asv. Lot of guys use them for forestry so speaks a bit to that. CONS: expensive & expensive parts. Expensive service if need it. (I do own cat tractor- which is a plus for service but dang do they charge for parts & time to a premium!). Not as capable in timber/mud. Not quite the ride as Asv. Not the protection to level Asv is. Takeuchi: PROS: seems like possibly most problem free based on digging through reviews. Longest last perhaps? Good power. Good resale. CONS: rides like a tank or not as comfy. Not the clearance or flotation like Asv. Kubota engine - certain years see issues. All of them Seem to have fires. Asv the least maybe. Not worried as I’m not mulching 100% & I clean things often & have fire extinguisher. All have some def issues. All break. All are expensive. I am trying to basically go “which will break the least?” Most bullet proof. “Which will leave me stuck or stranded the least ?” “Which will pound through work?” “Which is comfy so at end of day my back isn’t shot?” I’ve ran a lot of T770’s & T870’s… PERSONALLY…. Not impressed. Not the power or reliability of so many others. Some love them but I’ve been around dozens pre/post emissions & almost everyone nickel & dimes folks to death & all LACK POWER IMO. NOT COMFY FOR A DAY!!! Bobcats have killed my back many times!!! KUBOTA: too many burnt up around here. They don’t have HP of above 3. Too many buddies with blown motors & vast other major troubles with SVL 95’s. Kinda like a bobcat but with a “better door” IMO. Deere… 333G……. 4 neighbors have them & got the COVID timeframe manufactured ones…. 4 of 4 are plagued with issues. Maybe other companies - same thing? But im steering clear for now. On paper the ASV wins. But that’s “paper”. I want to know “this thing will kick butt & it’s super well made & will dominate!” That’s kinda what I’m asking. Which of 3 will do this or other thoughts? Thank you!!!!
You might consider the CASE 620B . Pro's big flow and PSI, set up to mulch. Cons big and heavy.
Specs are really good on those. I’m not familiar with Case or their reliability but I’ll check this out. Thx!
I haven’t run or worked on the ASV. Have a lot of time around the 299 and the TL12. I feel like the 12 has a bit more power. They’re stout. I haven’t mulched or mowed with one, I have with the 299. Have a friend that runs a mulcher on a 12. Other than typical small stuff I don’t think he’s had any major issues. Around here Cat keeps way more parts in stock than the Takeuchi dealer and if they don’t have something it’s only a day or two away. Certain parts of each are easier to work on. Track drive hoses are slightly easier to change on the Cat. You have to raise the cab to service the Takeuchi. Both will ride like a tank compared to the ASV. I did have a 277 Cat with the ASV undercarriage. Man it sure rode nice and I could finish grade with it really nice. I didn’t run it a lot while I had it. Belonged to a friend before me, he put 5300 hours on it. In that time I think we ended up rebuilding the UC once but not all at one time. He did demo work and Const cleanup, that machine was usually run by other temp hands. Taking all things into consideration I’d lean slightly toward the ASV…..it’s a coin toss between the 299 and TL12.
Bumping this post to the top, what did you end up going with? I’ve been running a tl12r for about 1500 hrs mulching. Thing is a beast. Needs a lot of bush protection out of the gate though. Cab/lights, quick coupler assembly, ect. That stuff is quite exposed, in comparison to a prime mover. Only issues I’ve ran into were def related. Coolant heater line seeping coolant into the def tank, causing contamination. Whole system was replaced under warranty, but the down time was horrendous.