Hi guys, this is going on a 81 Ford 555 backhoe. its starts easily at 30F. It doesnt want to know anything about starting in the teens though. The local New Holland dealer sold me a 2 element 600W heater that takes up 2 of the frost plug holes. So far I can only see 2 frost plugs on the motor, One is just past the starter and the other is behind the inj. pump I'm not gonna pull the pump, I assume you would have to pull timing cover to take gear off pump etc. Are the inline bottom radiator hose heaters worth trying? do you need to pull the thermostat? I know the dipstick mag heaters arent all that great. Any Ideas greatly appreciated -Mike
Cold starts Hey Mike; I don't have much experience with the installation of block heaters..I do have lot's of experience with cold weather operation though I would suggest that if you don't want to install the block heater elements in the frost plugs then you could invest in a magnetic oil pan heater, glow plugs for the head or even a small trickle charger for your batteries.
Buy two magnetic block heaters, there cheep and they work . put one on each side of the motor or one on the motor and one on the hydrolic tank, and pull them off when there no in use. http://www.carparts.com/OUR-BEST-UL...=15972150&zmas=17&zmac=100&zmap=10618-2000836
I have one of the inline rad hose heaters on my 79 deere 310a backhoe and it works great and no you dont have to pull the thermostat.