Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Best climbing roller?

Hopuser ยท 2010-04-26 07:38

HI we use a 563 Cat roller and it works great for rolling 3 to1 slopes It will almost climb trees! The company bought a new 563 and it cant climb as well as the older one and is helpless when it rains and it really rains here. The older is wore out and we need a replacement. I was wondering what is working for you? Thanks

Replies3
  1. #1JDOFMEMI2010-04-26 13:39

    What model 563 did you have? I have used many 563's, from the firs with no letter, to the "C" model, "D" model, and my most recent "E" model. They all climbed very good. 2.5:1 slopes are no problem with any, and they all push dirt like they are closely related to a dozer. I have even used them to spread piles fron 35 ton artics in the fill when there was no doxer available. Tha Cat rollers climb better because of a dual pump drive. one pump for the drum, the other for the tires, so it acts like a no-spin. Others like IR, Dynapac, and the rest have one pump, and when either end looses traction, all the flow goes there, and none is left to turn the end with traction. Just like an open differential in a truck. The only other ones I have heard about that will climb is the Sakai with tracks on the rear instead of tires, but I would stick with a Cat myself. Maybe something is wrong with the newer machine?

  2. #2andoman2010-04-26 17:16

    I had a problem with a smaller new cat roller on slopes and my tech told me the double drum drive doesn't work unless you have it rev'd up all the way. Turns out mine had a bad hydraulic motor but the first problem may hold true for you. EDIT / FYI - My hypac climbs slopes like a mad thing.

  3. #3Hopuser2010-05-21 18:15

    I think that you may be right about (something wrong) My operator reports that the compactor doesn't hit like the old one, The shop has said that it was good to go! But its still not riight. They have checked all the pressures and said its good to go!