Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Best compromise on a new tool box

barklee · 2016-02-05 23:13

Hi Gents Think i decided today that its time to upgrade the old trusty craftsman tool box and step up to the big leagues! Tired of not being able to keep everything in one box, too far of a walk back and forth for this and that. I think i want a box something like this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/Snap-On-KRL7023-Orange-Tool-Box-ToolBox-Work-Mat-WE-SHIP-/121871073463 However, i dont want to pay the premium for a Snapon box...... So my question is: Are there any less expensive alternatives to this type box that will hold up to moderate/ light use? I know you get what you pay for but i dont think our level of use justifies a box of this expense. What would you recommend and why? Thanks

Replies27
  1. #1donkey doctor2016-02-06 00:29

    Costco. d.d.

  2. #2Shimmy12016-02-06 00:47

    I know it's Menard's, but I am very happy with the top box I have. Box seems to be built very well, drawers are ball-bearing. This looks to be about a ⅓ the price? http://www.menards.com/main/tools-h...eg-72-15-drawer-tool-cart/p-1444451670199.htm I've been around a few Craftsman boxes, IMO a Masterforce box is twice the box of a Craftsman. Any doubt just drive down to Menard's and check one out.

  3. #3lantraxco2016-02-06 03:17

    Whatever you get, throw the casters away, build an angle or tube frame base for the toolbox with some proper oversize casters with parking brakes and swivel locks, maybe a fold down step rail along the front. You won't regret it.

  4. #4thepumpguysc2016-02-06 06:27

    I know in my area of SC.. there are a TON of boxes on craigs list.. some with tools for that price.. just a thought..

  5. #5check2016-02-06 09:02

    The problem with a lot of the new giant tool boxes is that they have few and deep drawers. How thick is a wrench? Do you want wrenches and sockets 4 layers deep so you have to dig every time you're looking for something? I've been thinking of getting a couple older Craftsman boxes and fastening them together to make one large box. I avoid the bottom boxes that don't have drawers all the way down.

  6. #6mikebramel2016-02-06 12:24

    I had a very similar box in blue.... Great idea at the time. Around here you can get a used box like that for as low as 2500 on craigslist. That would be a quick selling deal. They are a nice box, you can stand in the drawers. However, I had a MB series Matco before, which I traded in. That box was better built and those boxes, without the Snap On name sell for half the price. Just make sure whatever brand you get, it's 30" deep. Otherwise as has been said, you can go to Harbor Freight or Menards. And they do sell a decent box for decent use. I had a 1.5" drive socket set in my top Harbor Freight 44" drawer.

  7. #7Wes J2016-02-06 12:48

    I've had a Mac Tech 1000 box for 12 years used professionally for about half that time and daily the rest. No complaints. I made an oak top for it and mounted a vise. Matco and Cornwell also make good boxes. Another tier down, but still USA are Kennedy and Waterloo. They are cheaper and it shows. There are some industrial boxes made by Lista, Vidmar, etc, but in my experience they cost just as much as the tool truck brands and aren't any better. I have no experience with the foreign made stuff.

  8. #8Wes J2016-02-06 12:51

    I used to think like this. But, deeper drawers are often more efficient if organized correctly.

  9. #9still learn'n2016-02-06 13:35

    I just bought me a new to me snap on off of craigslist last fall 72" with side drawer same height as main box on left side and locker on right side with hutch on top and another storage box on top of hutch got it for $7900 serveral john deere mechanics have these and like them good quality http://www.ebay.com/itm/56-Top-Ches...877170?hash=item3aab781672:g:4toAAOSwBahVcd3U

  10. #10Jonas3022016-02-06 13:47

    We have one of the masterforce boxes from menards in the shop I will say it has impressed me My personal one is a used mac bought off the snap on truck so dont be afraid to let the snap on guy know you dont want to spend that much they take tons of trade ins often have them stored somewhere off truck

  11. #11RBMcCloskey2016-02-06 14:21

    Have you looked at Lista or Vidmar? They are built very well, add your own caster/wheels.

  12. #12Water Doc2016-02-06 16:51

    I have a Snap-On KRL7022 roll cab with matching top and full size side locker.. Could be had for a reasonable price

  13. #13wrwtexan2016-02-06 22:45

    As far as the foreign made stuff goes, when I quit my real job and went full time self employed, I bought a Homak roll around 2 box chest from NAPA for $800 to replace my cheap homeowner grade Craftsman and have been very satisfied with it. Very well built with more drawers than I have tools for so far. Slides are smooth and strong enough to support a lot of weight. Doesn't have that snap on name on it but the name doesn't do the work. Craftsman now has a nice pro grade box with latches built into the pull handles. I have a 5 drawer screwed down on the bed of my service truck and it handles rough roads and lots of tools well.

  14. #14GaryHoff2016-02-07 00:06

    I have a SHD series box from sears. It has the drawer latches, and its a decent box. International makes the SHD box for napa and sears. So it gives you some options to get better pricing. Sears always puts things on sale, so check online often. IMO the snap on boxes were overpriced, and the mac boxes were way over priced. The SHD box was about the same quality, but a fraction of the price. There's lots of reviews online, so take a look and judge for yourself. Heres a few http://www.sears.ca/product/interna...drawer-cabinet-blue/609-000292359-BL02954AASP http://www.homedepot.com/p/Internat...-21-Drawer-Cabinet-Black-SRB-7321BK/204238324

  15. #15barklee2016-02-07 10:54

    I will have to check those out. Would definitely like to see it in person before i ever bought it though. Our local sears doesnt stock them but would probably order it in and i could return if i didnt like it. Problem is that unless they go on sale for much less than it is right now, you can buy a lightly used snap on box for the same price. I will also check out the howmak box. I have heard a couple guys say they arent bad. I was going to run over to Menards today and see the masterforce boxes, hopefully they will do the trick because the price is right. Still keeping my eyes peeled for a snap on box used, but it seems like 2500 is the price for what i want which is just more than im willing to spend. Maybe 1500 but thats about it. Thanks for all the info, i shall follow up on these!

  16. #16Wes J2016-02-07 13:22

    All those cheap china boxes are only 18" deep. Some of the more expensive ones are 20" deep. My Mac box is 24" deep, and some are now 28" deep. That makes a huge difference in capacity.

  17. #17repowerguy2016-02-07 13:29

    One thing I did this summer while doing some mobile work was put metric in one box and sae in the other, it made moving around easier. You could do the same with another smaller box now, just a thought....

  18. #18JD955SC2016-02-07 14:20

    Best deal new out there is the Harbor Freight boxes.

  19. #19Truck Shop2016-02-07 15:45

    The newest thing I have is 15 years old. I have a 88 Cornwell Brute bottom box, 1975 Mac top box, Matco and Snap on side boxes. I never move the boxes. I went to using a tool cart years ago. Way more portable and easier to move from one end of the shop to the other. Tools I need everyday are in that cart and the boxes are just for storage. At sixty I'm too old and don't want to invest in anymore iron. Although I do have a Snap On 3/4 drive ratchet head and six Snappy 3/4 drive sockets made in 1939 that i use.

  20. #20ETER2016-02-07 17:27

    barklee, that sure is a nice used roll cabinet that you linked to on epay...it would be really nice if they would take 4K for it on their "best offer". It would probably be the last big box you would ever have to buy because after you put some cheapo side cabinets and top chests on it you would have a lot of storage cubes with a good foundation box underneath! Regards, Bob

  21. #21partsandservice2016-02-07 21:55

    I agree with JD955SC, I use the us general top box on my service truck. I have had most all of them in the same spot, snap on mac napa ect. The us general out last them all.

  22. #22chroniekon2016-02-07 22:59

    Yup, If you've been getting by with a craftsman, you'll be more than happy with a Harbor Freight.

  23. #23barklee2016-02-08 22:16

    Thats crazy to hear someone say that! I have no problem with Harbor freight..... Next time im there i will have to check them out. They have some pretty decent cheap stuff there. I bought a couple automotive paint guns there the other day and they spray every bit as well as a $200 gun for $15! For that price you could throw it away everytime you are done painting.

  24. #24barklee2016-02-08 22:32

    Pretty sure this is a total rip off of the snap on box i was eyeballing on ebay. http://www.harborfreight.com/tool-s...ossy-red-industrial-roller-cabinet-61656.html

  25. #25partsandservice2016-02-08 23:19

    Item 68787 is the box I use on the service truck.

  26. #26chroniekon2016-02-09 00:21

    If you Google 'harbor freight tool box forum' quite a few sites come up on the subject.

  27. #27JD955SC2016-02-09 19:09

    There's a lot at HF that ain't worth a crap but their boxes are pretty solid, especially for the price. They've got 44, 56, and 72 in models, the 44 and 56s have top boxes available, and they also have add on lockers and a 7 drawer side cabinet plus they have a couple of very good carts too that can't be beat on price by anybody.