Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

best equipment for 10-24” stumps???

matthewjosh ยท 2007-11-10 19:00

I'm gonna rent the equipment. I'm leaning towards a dozer they have a jd 650 would this be big enough for the job? I've never driven nothing bigger than a fortlift also, I 'm just trying to save money on clearing my land. I have 6 acres which is in the process of being clearcut for the timber. I have to grade 2 acres for the house. And would like to rough grade the rest. I'll get some pics up of what the land looks like there about 80% done. thanks, josh

Replies15
  1. #1Dirtman20072007-11-10 19:07

    well I would suggest using a excavator to remove the stumps, A dozer would work, but depending on what type of soil you have it could take longer. I would get a 140 -200 size excavator to do the job. then use the dozer to grade everything out once the site has been cleared. Do you have a place to put all the stumps and brush once it has be dug up or does it have to be hauled off? You will need something to load it if it's got to be hauled.

  2. #2matthewjosh2007-11-10 19:09

    pic

  3. #3matthewjosh2007-11-10 19:11

    yes I have a low area in the back of the property to leave it for now. The soil is loamy. Loamy should be easier right? Its mostly hardwoods too..

  4. #4Squizzy246B2007-11-10 19:14

    Bit of a related thread here: Its funny you know....with all the discussion we have had on these type of machine selection topics, at the end of the day, 90% of the time you just go with what you have got

  5. #5matthewjosh2007-11-10 19:20

    I wonder if a excavator would be more or less to rent per day than a dozer, thanks alot guys ever bit of info will help...

  6. #6Squizzy246B2007-11-10 19:21

    Here is another somewhat related thread....it gets a bit out of shape but its got very good information.

  7. #7matthewjosh2007-11-10 19:24

    yea i read that one earlier, seems everybody kinda sticks up for whatever equipment they own too much instead of saying what would really work the most effenciently.

  8. #8matthewjosh2007-11-10 20:17

    so what would be easier for a rookie to operate a track hoe or a dozer?

  9. #9Squizzy246B2007-11-10 20:52

    Well you can't blame people for backing their equipment. With the right technique, some cunning and guile, and the right attitude, you'll find guys on here that have near on done the impossible with next to nothing in terms of "the right machine"...if there is such a thing. Some people here probably would get locked up for the things they have done....on the grounds of sanity perhaps???? However, in terms of just pulling a stump out of the ground, short of Dynamite, the excavator is King for sure. You wont find too many people who have actually worked stumps with an Excavator that will disagree. On the other hand if you have to travel to a pile......

  10. #10matthewjosh2007-11-10 21:09

    might rent track hoe for stumps come back with bulldozer to push stumps where I want them and to grade the land.....

  11. #11Steve Frazier2007-11-10 23:29

    If I had my choice of machine to just pull stumps it would be a good sized excavator.

  12. #12dumptrucker2007-11-11 02:02

    I think you got it. Rent the excavtor for a week , usually if you rent it for 3 days it's only about a 100 dollars more to rent for the week. Then rent the dozer for a couple of days to do grading.

  13. #13xkvator2007-11-11 14:20

    you'll end up spinning the tracks trying to push out those bigger stumps in the loamy soil, Matt... get the excavator first...compare rental prices for machine size & get the biggest one...don't even consider one smaller than others mentioned... ...and since you've admitted to being a rookie...please buckle your seat belt.

  14. #14jughead2007-11-17 06:58

    best equip. A-men on the seat belt. extreme luck is the only reason i am here.

  15. #15tuney4432007-12-02 21:07

    Josh---your logger only thought of himself,not you, by cutting so close to the ground.It's always easier to have 4-6' of stump for leverage when pulling out.On a larger stump,it saves considerable time. Well,too late now---I'd either use a good sized backhoe or small excavator,dozer for later,pushing and filling in/grading.