Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Best Laser Detector

norite ยท 2012-03-11 08:06

I need to replace the laser detector for my topcon rotary laser. Looking on the internet there seem to be many models from other manufacturers that claim to work with any red laser and have a variety of features above and beyond a replacement topcon unit. Anyone have any suggestions as to the best quality/cost/feature unit to purchase?

Replies7
  1. #1DGODGR2012-03-11 12:33

    I suggest that you look at Apache. They make most of the OEMs anyway and you should be able to get a good price. Most anyone who sells instruments is an Apache dealer too.

  2. #2KSSS2012-03-16 14:14

    Apache has been bought by Trimble I believe. There is no doubt in my mind that the Apache made detectors are the best. I remember while at ConExpo 10 years ago Apache had display there. They had one of their laser detectors on while submerged in a in a fish tank. I bought one right on the spot and I still have it and it still works. Cant say that about the numerous Topcon readers I have laying around.

  3. #3sheetalsagar2012-08-25 04:15

    I would like to suggest you Cobra,Escort,Beltronic this are the best laser detector, these all are give quality.

  4. #4Ropinghorns2012-08-25 18:48

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/CST-Berger-...ltDomain_0&hash=item416792e000#ht_1526wt_1163 I have two of these. Cost more but worth it. Stick it to the side of your equipment or on the grade rod. This is the best one in the world.

  5. #5earthscratcher2012-08-26 11:14

    i have a spectra cr600 now, but looking at the cst/berger 57-ld500,roping horns did yours come with the magnet to attach to equipment or does this need to be purchased sep.? looks like the best price is at engineer supplies,apache also has one just like the cst/berger any thoughts,maybe jump up to the appache 360 deg unit?

  6. #6Ropinghorns2012-08-26 21:34

    Yes, as far as I can tell , they are the same. Magnets are made with it on the side. [ I learn a lot about stuff that I already own on ebay, and that is what I am basing my info. on.] This may sound silly, but they have a setting that is not so short, or narrow, and you can see them reach grade from a distance while on your dipper stick. They are so user friendly too. Turn themselves off after no use, two sound levels, and different grade lights that tell you high or low or on grade. My son dug a 100 x 100 ft. level bottom sewage lagoon last month by watching the 7 ft. deep mark on a hitachi 200 excavator. I have had mine for 7 or 8 years and only replaced the batteries once. We use them mostly on a grade rod.

  7. #7DGODGR2012-08-27 10:27

    I have one of the CSTs and I hardly ever use it. I don't trust the magnets much, although mine did come with a tether in case it falls off, and it is a bit more of a pain to set up. I would prefer one that also indicates when the dipper is level (Lica and maybe Apaches upgraded model?). Bucket and dipper position will always be variables (that effect accuracy of device) but the level indicator helps. I also bought a bar (have not used it yet) that the reciever attahes to. The bar is magnetic and the reciever is supposed to clamp to the bar. The bar is about 24" long and mounts paralell with the dipper. This allows easier adjustment of the reciever, allowing the user to match the level of the transmittied beam without fighting the magnets. The 360 deg models are great for the dozer and motor grader (when the reciever is mounted higher than the cab) but the dipper will always block 180 degrees if mounted to the excavator.