I am in the process of starting my first business and I'm looking into Land clearing, specifically mulching. I am looking for honest opinions and personal experiences on what machines and heads I should look into and how they fair with the rough conditions. I am currently looking at a TeRex PT110 with the Loftness G3 head and will be demoing one within the next couple of weeks. I am new here so if I'm on the wrong forum Please point me in the direction I need to be to get some honest opinions. Thanks for the advice.
The brand is pronounced Tear-ex, just fwiw. Who's giving the demo? The PT110/TSL220 is a high horse, high auxiliary hp machine that's made to mulch. Obviously make sure to have the guarding for mulching. The 2015 models come with a backup camera standard, which is nice. The other contender for power is the Cat 299D XHP. The Tak TL12 has the same hp, but the auxiliary hp isn't as high as the Cat or Terex, still not bad though (40gpm and 3ksi). The suspension on the Terex makes for a very nice ride, but the undercarriage costs are typically higher than rigid undercarriages like the Tak. The Terex also has 20" wide tracks for a better flotation (others are around 18").
If your planning on becoming a landclearing contractor then buy a dedicated machine, but be very careful about what you choose. Loftness head are IMHO are the most unproductive mulcher heads I've used and the teeth are the most expensive. Using a any CTL to drive a mulching head is a comprise and will never be as productive a dedicated tractor. A PT100 is not the best CTL for the job according to people on other forums, It still has some floors dating back to the RC100 and Terex don't give a rats arse about their costumers after the sale has been made apparently. I started out with a RC100 8yrs ago and in one year moved on to a proper tractor which can work in areas without the limitations of a CTL. The best advice I can give is don't be in any hurry to buy, do your home work thoroughly looking at all options, then when you decide what you want rent one for awhile to find out what the bugs are. Good luck
I'd suggest talking to some of the mulching companies (perhaps ones not in your area). Had some mulching done on my property and I think he was using a CAT that he bought new but I can't remember what the head brand was.... he gave me a lot of information because I had hoped to rent a mulch head - after discussion with him it seems there's a learning curve that would make a rental unproductive (as well as dangerous). g'luck
kckc, you are dead set right about the learning curve. Anyone who wants to run one of these things should go out onto some rural land away form everything and practice. When I started out I had a mate that needed some land cleared and I spent a week there learning how to operate a machine that I had never sat on or seen working, gave him the time for free and still consider it a good investment.
I've scheduled to rent the machine in two weeks. I have 15 acres I'm planning to start with a mixture of underbrush and small trees I want to clearing to regain the pasture there and another roughly 25 acres on the other side of the road to go through and clear out so I have the property to work for learning the mulching. I have ran heavy equipment for the past five year so I believe I'll be quick to lear, Hopefully. I am interested in what machines hold you better so as I can look into them. After the Terex I'll be scheduling to rent the Cat 299D XHP. Are there any others that y'all have experience and advice on?
No matter what brand you end up with, it will break down OFTEN. In fact, you need to budget for a good mechanic's truck loaded with tools, a welder, and and air compressor, as well as huge piles of spare parts. These machines, (all brands), take a beating day in and day out, all day long. They all eat fuel like you would not believe. I leased a 140HP Fecon that used 7 gal/hr. I have used both CTL mounted mulchers and dedicated mulchers. I have over two and a half years of seat time in them, and have cleared about 1500 acres over the last several years. I highly recommend renting longterm to get a good rate, as opposed to buying. Owning one sounds great, until the warranty expires. Then, keep your checking account loaded with funds, you will need all of it, and more. As far as mulching heads go, I really like the Fecon heads. Running any mulching head, pretty much overloads any brand or model of CTL. Even the ones with upgraded hydraulics and a forestry package. In hot weather, the hydraulics WILL overheat when running a mulching head flat out. So, having said this, I would go with a dedicated mulcher if you buy anything. The newer Rayco mulchers are pretty reliable, but stay away from any of the older models, like 2012 or older. The newer Fecon mulchers are also pretty good. Again, those built before about 2010 or 2012 are very prone to breakdowns. Rayco built ALL of the older Fecon machines, and they are just a nightmare to keep in operation. Whatever brand you buy, make sure you have excellent dealer support close by. You will need it for service and parts, almost on a daily basis.
I am planning to buy a CTL but I will certainly look into long term leasing/renting. I am limited to local dealers in my area which is Why my interest are in the Terex and CAT. They are within 25 minutes of me. I've read several threads where a few people have had any and all problems from their Terex or their dealers were backstabbers but the dealer here helped another guy start his company and said company now runs 2 Terex machines and highly recommends them for there services, thus Why I have interest in their machine. What I am wondering now is mulching heads? I looked into the Fecon heads and am curious as to y'alls opinion on the different drum style? Carbide tooth or Stone tooth?
Jtew, the ground conditions dictate what teeth you use no matter the bread of mulcher. Teeth arrangement is more important because it's the base line. I have for some time being trying to get a landclearing forum on this site (see Landclearing Forum in General Industry Questions) but so far there hasn't been enough posts to make it worth while. If you could move your post there and others respond then maybe it can happen and people like yourself would get more answers your questions.