Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Best mobile crusher for recycling concrete

CM1995 · 2021-08-29 19:16

Well as the thread is titled what's the best mobile crusher for recycling concrete and other demo debris? I've been kicking around this idea for years including many conversations here on HEF. Looking for info from the ones who've owned, operated and/or wrenched on mobile plants. Here is what I am looking to do: Main function will be targeting crushing demo debris as a waste reduction, LEED, "green" (hate the term but there's money to be made) on job sites both our own and others in addition to having a yard where concrete can be stockpiled to crush when the plant is not on a project. Our company is a DOT certified DWBE so there are opportunities with set aside money on government projects and large private ones as well. Intake product would be concrete with rebar, masonry, rock and brick. Our yard also is our inert dump so disposal of undesirable crushing material can be sorted and disposed of onsite. Equipment we have to support is 2 - 50K hoes one with a QC and hammer, 3 CTL's, backhoe, Gradall RTFL, track loader and 2 dozers. If this venture gets off its feet then a wheel loader is in order. Brands with dealers and support are: Screenmachine/SMI - Cat dealer reps them. Great support for our Cat equipment and we have a relationship with the dealer. Not married though Sandvik - Good local dealer along with a variety of screens and other recycling equipment. I have met one of the owners and he is well known around the city KPI/JCI - smaller dealer that I know nothing about. Kleemann - Komatsu dealer with a large local presence and good product support. Powerscreen - Local branch here from dealer out of KY. Don't know much about them but apparently one of their mechanics lives in my area as I see the 5500 service truck on a regular basis. Next $1M question - jaw or impact? Which one is better for turning concrete into 3 products - fines, 3/4-1" (#57's) and 2"-4" (#24's)? Those 3 sizes are the most desirable for construction here and can be easily re-used on the job site. Which one is more maintenance? Other than both being maintenance intensive which crusher would be better for reducing product primarily and making product secondarily? At this point just noodling the idea out but it's something I've always wanted to get into. Always wanted a landfill since I was a kid but age and wisdom has shown me that is not an obtainable option so this is the next best thing. Thanks in advance!

Replies66
  1. #1Junkyard2021-08-29 20:03

    Here’s what I learned recently. The value of crushed material is affected by proximity to a quarry, if there’s one close then the value of it drops quite a bit. I had an opportunity to get about 10-11k tons of concrete from the Highway they’re fixing. Talked to a friend of mine that runs a very large company. Once we ran the numbers in my area for my needs there wasn’t any profit in it and a good chance I’d have over paid for the rock. I am surrounded by quarries. 8-10 of them in a 30 mile radius. Our cost was within $.25 of theirs. However, in OKC where they are a good ways from a crusher the recycled material is going upwards of $150 a ton! We had ours figured at 4.75-$5.00 a ton. That was the crusher rental as well as rental of a 30 ton hoe for loading and a 980 size loader stockpiling etc. I had considered doing it to sell most of the material and put a fresh layer on my yard. It wasn’t feasible. One place it seems to work well, and in my opinion should have been used on this project, is to crush the material on site for base material. Trucking savings alone pays for it not to mention free material. What I also learned talking to him was a true calculation of your costs. Crusher rental as well as support equipment. If you own the stuff it’s easy to say “I already have it” but that means it’s not out making $. It’s gotta pay for itself one way or another. Is ownership cheaper than renting? Sometimes it is. I can’t tell you which style is best. I know from this conversation that they have to run inch minus to get all the metal out and have a nice product to sell. That slows their machine down to about 400 tons a day he said. It was all new info to me. Glad I had him as a resource or I may have let my alligator mouth overload my hummingbird ***! Hope that helps a little.

  2. #2funwithfuel2021-08-29 20:27

    Do you have steady water for dust control? Can you use the one hoe/breaker to reduce rebar throughput? Either jaw or HSI would work. Jaw has lower maintenance (less wear parts) offers great adjustability but when wear parts come due, costs are higher and more labor intensive. HSI is kinda the industry standard, they reduce road materials to reusable base, they bring buildings back to useable base as well. Either will serve you well. I'm partial to KPI/JCI and their jaw seems to be super reliable. I know of an underground mining operation using a 2650 as a primary until they remove enough to fit their forever jaw. As far as mobility, you could get one mounted on a trailer with a single conveyor to be screened elsewhere or you could get an all in one FT2650 with conveyor, screenbox , underscreen conveyor and an oversize recirculating conveyor back to feeder. It's a beast. Cat powered. Made in America with non-stop customer support. They put their number on the side and back it up with their name. Kleeman , a good product, will do the job but has some drawbacks. Foreign manufacturer, parts availability, it's all electric . Scania engine runs a good size generator. 400v 3 phase. When she's running proper, it eats. fast. It has a tremendous appetite for material. The downside, engine problems require a Scania trained tech. That stops there, machine problems need a tech who can think German, as in redundancy. They are safe, but gawd! They can make a simple thing extremely overcomplicated. If it were me, with my luck and Murphy's law, I'd choose the FT2650 once i made realistic list of desires and spoke to a rep. Get the right Grizzlies, jaw or blow bar material and screen recommendations. KPI does not supply screen but will help you spec what you need for best results. Now Sandvik, another foreign mfr, in my area, there is one dealer, he's a one man show and doesn't like to answer the phone. I don't know about support in your area. They do make a solid product with a proven track record . Do i think it would hold up to a 2650 or 4250, not while screening. But if it was just churning out material single pass, side by side, i think they'd all be close to one another. My suggestion, FT2650 with a multi layer screen box have 3/4" to 2" tapered Grizzlies to prescreen material. Anything over 2 goes through the jaw then you can screen 2" off the top and 3/4" off the bottom . Anything over 2" gets recirculated back to vibrating feeder. The jaw produces a lot of undersize and fines as a byproduct, so you could adjust jaws to 3-1/2 to 4" and still hit your target material. As far as metal exclusion, most all mentioned crushers have a good mag belt running above main discharge conveyor. HSIs don't appreciate the larger expansion joint pins (1-1/2" dia)

  3. #3CM19952021-08-29 20:39

    Thanks Junkyard. One would think since we are surrounded by some of the best limestone in the southeast that crushed stone would be cheap - not really. #57's across the scale with no trucking is $18+ a ton. I guess most to the high grade limestone is being used for cement and a host of other calcium required items that they are getting so much money for they don't have time to fool with construction aggregates. Vulcan Materials is headquartered here and they have the most expensive construction aggregates. If I could crush concrete at $4-5 a ton cost, I could sell all I could produce for $8-10 a ton just through business contacts created over the last 25 years, not withstanding any marketing. Very good info FWF thanks for sharing. Water would not be an issue and I should've added a water truck to the list of equipment. The 325FL with hammer could reduce the size and our 321DL could feed. The 325 has a Cat field trial oil quick QC that so far has worked great so swapping between hammer and bucket takes no time. Want nothing, absolutely nothing to do with German engineering. I've hated Deutz ever since the ill designed 863 Bobcat but that's another discussion. The KPI brand is rep'd by Stone Equipment here locally and I don't know much about them. Sandvic is rep'd by an Englishman with a company that is well respected in the recycling market locally. What are your thoughts on Screen Machine? The best relationship dealer wise is Cat and that's the brand they rep.

  4. #4funwithfuel2021-08-29 20:58

    I have no experience with them or powerscreen. I kinda got a thing for deutz. I think powerscreen uses deutz. Sorry you had a bad experience. That's why I like KPI so much. When I was a dealer tech here in Chicagoland for them, I was never left hanging. I had support in every aspect. Not just on the phone either. There were times where they'd have someone on a plane to see first hand what's going on and what's going wrong. Specing up front makes all the difference in the world , that's why I said have realistic expectations of your desired product. Too many times, people try to fudge this or that to themselves only to be sorely disappointed later.

  5. #5John C.2021-08-29 21:11

    My sandstone quarry customer has a small Komatsu jaw on crawlers on site. He has rented it out in the past to do reduction on demo of buildings and such. The good thing about a jaw is that it eats everything that's inside the concrete. It doesn't like hard stuff like bucket teeth or big chunks of steel. You can set it for the maximum size of broken material coming out the bottom but you do have to screen the outflow for size if you intend to use the that material for any spec. Rebar is a pain. While the jaw will bust the concrete with it in there, the bar tends to get bent into all kinds of odd shapes that seem to want to cut up the bottom belts or get jammed into things. He has a magnetic top belt for the outflow, but it makes a pile of snakes that have to be handled. He has asked me in the past for the cost of setting up one of his other machines with a magnet, but so far he hasn't liked the dollars I give him. He also has one small impact crusher on tracks and one large impact crusher that is trailer mounted. The small crusher works too good on asphalt in that it tends to make a lot of dust and gumbo. The large machine he uses to bust up the waste coming from a shop that makes countertops and other fancy rock stuff. I never liked the idea of using an impactor for anything that had rebar in it. The thought of that rotor winding the stuff around it and have to cut it out was a non starter for me. I can't tell you much about brands as this stuff is Komatsu for the too smaller units and a custom built for the large impactor. I am friends with the Findley dealer in Seattle and haven't heard anything bad so far about their products. The other issue around here is that concrete isn't liked much in that it degrades and drops some stuff into the ground, storm sewers and streams that affect the fish. The only money at present is in the rebar for scrap metal and any rentals who might want a machine on site. I have other clients that take in concrete and asphalt for a fee that is hauled to them and have the large machines able to process very large amounts of it.

  6. #6Jonas3022021-08-29 22:13

    JCI-KPI and cedar rapids-terex are huge up here I have three dealers within 2 hours Wear material can be had afermarket we hardly ever left waiting on a part or service truck I dont know much about concrete crushing though as we run virgin bank with a wheeled portable jaw,cone spread I would talk to the Cat dealer to see if they just rep the machine or if they have a heavy stock of parts warehoused, At least one aggregate trained mechanic and contact information for other owners of the machine Rent to own is a common setup if it doesn't pan out the first season let it go if it works great buy out the remainder

  7. #7grandpa2021-08-30 07:48

    Are you sure you really want to go down that rabbithole CM? You seem to be good at what you are doing presently. In your vision you see your equipment feeding the plant and not out on the job where it DOES make you money. I've taken in concrete and ran it through a jaw/cone/screen spread. Worst thing I ever crushed. The materials my crews hauled in was kept pretty clean, but then we allowed others to dump into out piles. That when the sh*t really started to show up, wheels, tires, sewing machines and almost anything you could imagine. I didn't have a muncher or a magnet in my string which I should have, but Im glad I didn't add it in . The whole thing left a bad taste in my mouth. I finally sold the last of the 8k ton we processed and I vowed to never stock that product again. Even though you can get the raw product for free or even get paid to take it. The finished product in my mind isn't all that great. People wanted it on their driveways which is why we made to product to start with. After a decent rain you could see the yellow run off going right into our lakes and streams. Made me sick. Then after a couple years the concrete has rotted away from the gravel and that's what was left. Gravel. So now I just process virgin materials and feel good inside that's the way it should be. But, if the burn in your belly, and the dollar signs are so big you can't keep the burn quenched, then deal with your cat dealer. They are the ones you deal with now and you'll become a bigger player with them thus giving you a better relationship bring more support. Good luck kid with whatever your decision.

  8. #8crane operator2021-08-30 09:13

    A lot of the quarries by me use sandvik track mounted crushers, I don't know if they lease or own them. But maybe I see them more because that's what they are working on and need me, and I don't see the ones that just run and run and run. I used to move a magnet tower for a road building outfit in Iowa. They were tearing out and rebuilding highways, and would move it from project to project, everything else in the plant they could move with trucks, we just had to lay it down for load out. It was one of the initial screens, to get all the rebar out before hitting the jaw. It made sense in iowa because good rock is a lot more scarce up there than where I currently live. Also- keep your umbrella handy, looks like your due for some rain.

  9. #9Theweldor2021-08-30 19:29

    The first thing to keep in mind. Is the minute you turn that key on in the morning, they are trying to destroy themselves......and they do a very fine job of it. I have worked around 3 Kleeman spreads and a Cedar Rapids trailer mounted system. The biggest problem I have seen is the jaws will let the rebar slide down and tear up the belts. Impacts seem to deal with that problem a bit better and I say a bit better. The belts seem to take more abuse than anything from the rebar. The Cedar Rapids didn't have beans for a water system to keep down the dust, the Kleemans have a rather nice water system, but all require maintenance. That seems to be the key. There is a lot of maintenance to any crushing spread. There is no way around it. I have never seen the rebar get wrapped around a rotor. My belief is a good processor on a hoe sizing the material before you put it through is worth its weight in gold. Of course a good operator helps tremendously. Kleeman is part of the Wirtgens group. I have not seen any big problems getting parts. The Dealer here has done their best to keep these running and gone out of their way for product support. I guess that is the key to making anything work is the product support. Metso is another one that is somewhat prevalent here although I have only worked around their screens. There is some money to be made but one has to realise it is not a cheap date to make little rocks from big ones. Best of luck and hope this helps some.

  10. #10Randy882021-08-30 23:00

    Its none of my business, but are you planning on doubling your equipment and help, or give up other work to dedicate your crew and machines to just one thing, crushing concrete??

  11. #11CM19952021-08-31 10:11

    Thanks for the replies guys I appreciate it. FWF the hate I have for Deutz was the ill fated fuel pump solenoid on the 863 Bobcat that would go out unexpectedly on a regular basis. Used to keep 2 in the tool box just to keep it running. Your first hand experience with KPI is impressive. I am a big on service after the sale, the purchase price is not the most important item when I'm looking at a machine to purchase. John does Komatsu still make crushers? I can remember a Conexpo several years ago where Komatsu had a jaw crusher set up on what looked like a 300 excavator UC on their main display. As far as the crushed concrete goes the business plan would focus on reducing waste on site primarily and secondarily the end use product. From what I've seen crushed demolition concrete is not good for any surface that will be the final surface like a gravel driveway or parking lot as it just has too much metal. Recently bought some concrete plant washout out that was crushed to #57 size that was fantastic. No metal or trash just stone and sand. Used it for trench backfill through a parking lot and locked in tight without any compaction, all the rain we had helped. Our 305 mini didn't struggle scratching the trench out for the patching crew but it wasn't loose stone either. Jonus rental purchase is definitively on the table as we've used that purchase option for several machines with our Cat dealer. Dealer has a very good parts availability but I have not asked further on the Screen Machine aspect of the business and parts inventory. Kinda want to do more research on the options before asking too many questions because my salesman will have a jaw on a lowboy headed to one of our jobs. Thanks for the first hand knowledge Grandpa, figured you'd chime in. What I'm thinking and I might be completely of base but our main goal would be reducing demo debris primarily with selling the product secondary. Agreed the demo concrete doesn't make a good product for final surfaces. What I see as a possible use onsite is pipe backfill and other structural backfill behind walls and undercuts. A tremendous amount of money is spent hauling concrete off site and hauling stone backfill back in. With a 25 ton load of #57's averaging $600 delivered it gets one to thinking. Typical dump fees at inert landfills are $50-75 per load plus $90 per hour to take it there. As far as a muncher goes if another project like the arena expansion we are finishing comes up again I will buy one just for demolition, it's the real deal for concrete demo. CraneOp so far just weak outer rain bands here in Central AL, looks like we will dodge the worst of it. We haven't had much rain out of Ida compared to the rest of year and it's almost of out of Central AL. Maintenance would be done in house with some training from the dealer/manufacturer which is another must - we want to know how to not only operate the machine but maintain it and replace wear parts as well. At this point in the planning I could see the onsite crushing becoming the full focus of the company but that would depend on how the work comes about. We have the opportunity to go into the State/Federal contracting. We'll just have to see how it unfolds.

  12. #12funwithfuel2021-08-31 10:47

    For greater mobility and slightly reduced productivity you could check KPIs GT series. It stands for global track. No wide loads, made for skinny euro roads. Just a thought. I don't know what your demand is other than size. Volume wise, you can get a lot through a GT205.

  13. #13John C.2021-08-31 11:17

    Komatsu does make crushers but I don't see them advertised for North America. https://www.komatsu.eu/en/Product-archive/Mobile-Crushers My customer has a BR300 that he imported from Japan.

  14. #14CM19952021-08-31 18:56

    Really like the smaller footprint machines for mobility around a job site and transport. The Terex/Findlay Evo is an interesting "city crusher" however not a fan of modern day Terex and probably would not buy one. https://www.terex.com/evoquip/en/products/crushing/bison The large 280 at 220 TPH gets close on production. That's roughly 6 -8 tri-axle loads of normal processed (with a hammer and hoe) tri-axle loads due to voids in the bed. A load of crushed rock is 25 tons per tri so 5 loads of crushed product. At a minimum with a very cheap dump fee of $25 per load and minimum truck time of 1 hour at $90 per a load of concrete demo is $115 cost with no O&P. 7 loads an hour is $805 cost of trucking and disposal. Turn around and say those 8 loads of demo concrete into 4 loads of crush for pipe backfill and that's another $1600 on the low side (4 loads at $400 each). Hardly numbers to make a $500K plus purchase but interesting enough to start putting numbers together and some of it works. John the Kommie crusher I saw was at Conexpo '08 IIRC.

  15. #15John C.2021-08-31 22:13

    It might have been a trial market to check interest. I suppose if you ask your local dealer, they might make some phone calls. I have been able to get some maintenance parts for this machine.

  16. #16grandpa2021-08-31 22:34

    Better check on the MSHA rules on the recycling too CM as I think that may fall under their jurisdiction as well. I didn't worry about it when I ran it because they already inspect my underwear.

  17. #17CM19952021-09-01 08:07

    Grandpa I know here in AL environmental/permitting wise recycling does not fall under the mining rules but that has nothing to do with MSHA.

  18. #18Randy882021-09-02 06:55

    So since we have discussed the profit potential end of this en devour, how about some numbers on the expense end as well, what is the per hour projected costs to keep the spread going and maintained. Hours expected before major repairs need to be done, a realistic replacement costs for those repairs, as in once the warranty is off and hydraulic pumps, motors, belts, bearings, wear parts, engines all go bad, what the resale value is of used spreads. You know, ownership costs for the long haul over years of use and abuse.

  19. #19CM19952021-09-02 19:14

    Good question Randy. The purchase, depreciation, disposal cycle of the machine is one aspect, then the wear/expense/wrench factor is the other. Purchase to disposal cost is fairly straight forward due to financing terms which can be directly related to TPH production, labor, support equipment and value of those tons produced. However the operating expense is a whole 'nuther ball game that is harder to nail down. As with any business plan or computer program the outcome is only as good input. Garbage in = Garbage out kinda like crushing concrete with trash in it.

  20. #20JPV2021-09-02 19:27

    I don't know much about crushers but I have worked around several different mobile crushing outfits that work for the timber companies making rock in their pits that we use. The outfit that had the least amount of down time crushed for 8 hours and then shut down and did maintenance on the machines for 2 hours every day. I never saw them broke down during the day, alot of the other outfits crush hard all day then spend 2 or 3 days broke down it seems on a regular basis.

  21. #21mowingman2021-09-02 20:04

    If I was 20 years younger, I would be in the concrete crushing business. The last crusher I bought was in 1994, and it was an old Pioneer all-in-one plant, that was powered by a diesel engine and loooong belts. I think if I were to get into this now, I would look for an inexpensive setup, that is easy to move, and will come close to doing what you want, with a little modification. I hate to say it, but Cedar Rapids and Pioneer built some nice all-in-one plants for the military back in the 50's. Yes, they are hard to find now, and yes, they may require a lot of work to get up and running. However, these old plants can sometimes be found cheap, and would be an inexpensive way to get into the business and try it. An old jaw/roll or jaw/impact plant might get you started. Just add a magnet belt and you are up and running. Just a thought. Jeff

  22. #22grandpa2021-09-02 20:17

    Back to your original post CM , I've never been around an impactor because the glacial till here is too hard for them but in my mind you would want to go with a jaw. One of the things I found out was the more distance one would have from the bottom of the jaw to the conveyor belt the better off you'd be. I can't imagine you cramming anything longer than 5 ft ( meaning the length of the rebar you would have to contend with) but when the rebar comes out of the jaw it goes to the under conveyor if the chunk of rebar is still in the jaw, it snags the belt. Jaws will take anything you put in them, you may break a toggle plate but they are made to break if you get something bad in them. A jaw you could set down to 3 inch opening and it would eat concrete like it was butter. Of course a screen would be needed to make the products you mentioned. Also a lot of dust is generated crushing concrete , a watering system would have to be added at some point. I hope you decide to go after your dream. After all, when life is over you can look back and say " I LIVED MY DREAM ". Besides that , it would make interesting reading for me following you!

  23. #23Nige2021-09-05 05:09

    Continuing from Grandpa's comments above, if you go for a jaw crusher (which I think you should), go for a double toggle rather than a single toggle because they vibrate far less. Your requirement is for something mobile. I would go with tracks rather than wheels personally. Moving from one job to another will require a lowboy but at least you can self-propel it anywhere within the confines of a particular job site. I've seen major structural (basically the semi-trailer chassis) cracking on wheeled crushers that sit on "legs" while operating because of the imposed vibration of the crusher. Tracked units seem to suffer much less in this regard. We had a 3-piece Sandvik set (jaw primary, cone/vibrating deck screen secondary, and a stacking conveyor) in the DR and the primary was the one that gave the least trouble. That was a hard rock crushing application though. For your summer climate ask about high-ambient temperature options if the seller doesn't mention them. On our setup it wasn't ordered and we rapidly found that we needed it even with ambient temps around 90-ish, so it was retrofitted PDQ. I would also consider some sort of angled chute below the crusher outlet so that if any long pieces of rebar go through the crusher it would be impossible for them to rip the belt and very difficult for them to even leave the crusher. Something above the crusher to act as a "rebar extraction tool" would also be necessary. This. Crushers vibrate and time spent on maintenance is not time wasted, it's downtime saved IMO.

  24. #24Nige2021-09-05 05:16

    https://www.911metallurgist.com/blog/difference-between-single-double-toggle-jaw-crusher

  25. #25DMiller2021-09-05 06:25

    And YES the do vibrate, cracking and steel fatigue failures are more common than erosive wear, from watching the maintenance guys in the quarries there is a indifference to the vibrating but they do inspections daily. Capital Quarries here uses Cone type Gyratory portable crushers, they do not leave a crusher at any given rock farm, they move site to site as needs require. Concrete recyclers here have come and gone in large volumes I PRESUME due to maintenance and equipment replacement costs, not seen one around in a few years where the busted materials end up landfill.

  26. #26Nige2021-09-05 07:13

    Continuing on with the screening side, are there any mobile trommel-type screens on the market these days.? That would address the vibration issue with the screening side.

  27. #27funwithfuel2021-09-05 09:54

    Trommel screening is considered too slow for most high throughput operations. Everyone is pushing vibrating screens. There's low angle high amplitude, and multiple frequencies high angle low amplitude and everything in between. I set up a PTSC2624 high angle variable frequency screen for an asphalt reclaimer. In spite of the sticky nature of the asphalt, it screened an amazing amount of material, and we were screening ⅜ and ¼. And the 2650 jaw, by the way uses a hydraulically controlled toggle with tramp iron relief in case you get side loaded rebar or entire manhole covers. It doesn't mean it's built to eat it, just survive it.

  28. #28Landclearer2021-09-05 18:16

    CM you have about a million different ways to do a recycle yard and everyone you ask will tell you something different (lol) We have a Powerscreen Premiertrack 300 with hyd release and rebar deflector. The hyd release will hydraulically open the jaw if an uncrushabke gets in there. If for some reason the belt gets overloaded the computer will stop the jaw whether its full or not. The hyd release will also let you open and close the jaw crushing the material instead of unloading it by hand. Works good! We also got the rebar deflector for under the jaw. It also works good. As for rebar you can put 2 foot pieces in with no issues. If one gets caught down in the belly in can start a birds nest so the less rebar that goes in the better. We dump into a Powerscreen Warrior 1400 with 1.5 inch mess on the upper deck. That gives us our base material and the overs are 1.5 to about 3 inches. We keep our jaw closed tight on the concrete but still get overs. We actually sell a lot of the overs bur do not need all of them so every so often we will bring several loader buckets back to the hoe and put them back thru the crusher. Crushing non pulverized material we do 70-90 tons per hour of base plus the overs. Pulverized material crushes faster. When we pulverize we use the 350 to pulverize and we have a magnet on the 160 to pick the rebar. That is the fastest and safest way to do it. We have a Moley Magnet that runs of the alternator. Works great. 36 inch magnet will pick up 750 pounds of turnings and a 10k sheet. A friend of mine say an impactor is like a grinder 1 second away from a catastrophic event (lol) Whatever you do don’t put a belt scale on a crusher. If you did a belt scale put it on a stacker. The less bouncing and vibrating the better the scale will work. I’m not a fan of them. We have Loadrite scales in both our Volvo loaders. They work great for stockpiling and loading. We have printers in both machines as well for printing tickets.

  29. #29CM19952021-09-05 19:43

    Thanks for all the replies, really appreciate the real world info. Wife and I were away at Auburn for the first home football game this weekend and just logging back in. FWIW Nige they do make tracked trommel screens. https://www.screenmachine.com/equipment-lines/trommel-screens/ Grandpa if I can make it work crushing concrete might start up an international branch in Costa Rica crushing river gravel so you can come down to visit and write it off. No MSHA in CR. Seems the consensus is a jaw which is what I've always leaned towards. Just seems like an impactor is waiting to destroy itself. LC - As the venture progresses the boss (AKA the owner otherwise known as wife) and I will be heading north on 85 to come visit. Your setup is exactly what I'm thinking about. Tons of information in your post, thank you for sharing.

  30. #30Landclearer2021-09-05 20:53

    No problem. More than happy to help out if I can and give you the grand tour

  31. #31DGODGR2021-09-08 05:02

    This is a great thread! I'm not sure I'll remember everything I'd like to comment on but I'll try. I see that you've commented that you are not particularly fond of the Terex brand. If I recall correctly CM the Screen Machine brand falls under the Terex brand of companies. I live in a place where there is a lot of on-site crushing going on and I have spent some time researching things (you've seen some of my threads) and doing some crushing myself. Some of my info is second hand but comes from what I consider to be reliable source/s. My experience is limited to track mounts and (as you know) bucket crushers. I have direct experience crushing hard rock and concrete too. Concrete, brick, and block go through the crusher fast. You should get lots of TPH if your feed is clean. The downside is that these materials can have more of a "sandpaper" effect than many hard rock materials. This equates to faster wear on your dies (blow bars and curtains if you go with an impactor). Keeping dirt out of a jaw crusher will increase production and decrease wear. Fortunately most modern track mounts will separate fines prior to the crushing chamber. They will also give you the option to allow those fines to drop to the main belt (should you need more fines in your output) or send thme out on a separate conveyor/discharge. I recently rented a Powerscreen PremierTrack 330. This is a smaller unit (only weighs about 75k#) so it takes less axles to move. I would think it the newest generation of LC's 300 (his spread looks to me to be Powerscreen). It only had about 60 hours on it so everything worked like new. It is NOT Duetz powered (as was mentioned as possible in a previous post) but was Cat powered and employed hydraulic drive to all components/systems. The jaw could be "burped" if jammed (run backwards for a rotation or two-never had to use this feature), and had hydraulic adjustment of the closed side of the jaw, hydraulic drive of the belt drives, feed hopper extensions and vibration/feed rate. What a joy it was to run. One of the early posters said he looked into crushing but was going to use a 30 ton excavator and a 980 loader to work with the crusher. In my experience one doesn't need that big of machines to support a crusher. Obviously the size of the crusher, how far the material needs to be shuttled, etc., matter when choosing size of support machines. In my case I loaded the crusher with my Cat 315 and used my 544j loader to handle the out put. We were feeding around 18-24" minus shot rock into the crusher to produce the 3" minus (the machine could have reduced it even farther!). My son fed the machine from an elevated platform (of the feed material) and I ran the loader to shuttle material to stock pile, clean up the pit and shuttle feed material to my son to keep enough feed withing his reach. Needless to say the loader was busy but I was able to get this done while producing about 475 tons (about 715 tons) in an eight hour day. The little trackhoe was able to keep the hopper full at the rate we were crushing. I may have been able to push the crusher harder but this was our first dance with the PT330 so we didn't push our luck and just stuck with a good steady feed rate and I had no complaints about the production rate. Setting the crusher at the proper location, and setting up your "quarry" (feed material, finished product piles, crusher locations, etc.) are important factors of production too. Part of the point here is that you can use support machines that are less expensive to own and operate (let alone transport if you provide a mobile crushing service) and still get production. Powerscreen is definitely a Terex brand but they seem to have good support across the US. I have been recently considering purchasing and looking for a MetroTrack (slightly smaller than the PT and with a few less features) and one can find them in the used market with a couple thousand hours. Probably looking at around 250-280k to buy. I was quoted $437k for the PT330 earlier this year. I have intentionally stayed away from the SMI because of a couple reasons. First is that I'm trying to crush down to 3" minus and the unit that is in my area (JHT2650) does not do well to that size. It does well enough making 4" minus (or bigger) but it won't close enough to get to the 3" minus with consistency. The local shop that rents/sells them said that they had "special" jaw dies (as in thicker?) made to get to 3" minus but that only works until they begin to wear. There was also a major clutch issue (required a new clutch) one of my competitors had during a rental and it took several weeks to get one shipped from over seas. They had another machine come available but that still took 2 weeks. This episode happened long before the shipping/freight issues of the "post-covid" world. I know you have a good thing going with your Cat dealer but I would suggest (at a minimum) you talk to a few local customers before you drink the cool-aid on the SMI. I have had (2) fellow contractors (both with direct experience with SMI jaws) recommend staying away from this brand. I had the salesman quote me on a used JHT2650 (from their rental fleet) and I decided not to buy. On the plus side this machine was a 2015 model so no DEF, or other emissions stuff, no electronics, etc. but I needed 3" minus and had guys suggesting that I stay away. The local Cat dealer sells Metso crushers and screens. I have had (2) people tell me that the Metso is a good brand. One guy his local the other is my brother who does custom crushing for timber companies in the PNW (he also says his Terex-Pegson MetroTrack does well but not as nice, nor as productive as the Metso -but was bought for less than 1/2 the cost of the Metso). I've heard nothing but good things about the KPI-JCI brand (includes Pioneer). These are sold by my local Komatsu dealer so they are priced way too high (those guys are always priced high on everything!...not sure why). BTW, I've also heard stellar reports about Komatsu track mount crushers but they are no longer sold in the US (not even sire if they make them anymore). If you are considering anything built somewhat recently you will have to deal with emissions systems, and computers/electronics for the control systems (which don't seem to like dust and/or vibration) and lots (LOTS!) of panic buttons all over the machine. If I wanted to further reduce overhead I would consider a 60' stacker (can be moved with a pick-up) to reduce, or even possibly eliminate the need for the loader to stockpile out put material. If you are only going to crush concrete I would suggest looking at the Rebel crusher as well. When I looked into them I felt as though they were knowledgeable and they flat told me that their product, though it would do the job, was not the best option for hard rock crushing. I liked that as most salesman simply tell you whatever they think will sell the product. On the plus side the Rebel is only about 40K#, comes with screens (will also return oversize to the crusher), can be had as an impactor or a jaw (not many jaws out there with screens attached), and will cost about 200k less than "main stream" track mounts. I can not speak to their ability to provide support and/or service. I would think that you may have more success with service since you are much closer to where they are made than I am. If you go with any of the crushers you've mentioned thus far (as a jaw) you will likely have to screen to get the products you have stated that you want to make. This is an area that I have only dipped my toe into and can have a greater impact on cost and production than the crusher can (the crusher will likely crush as fast as you can load it-depending upon how small you will crush to of course). As it relates to rebar, I usually hammer to remove the bar. A processor might be faster but you already own the hammer. Plus it makes you feed size smaller which can increase production. I charge money to dump at my place and, while rebar is okay, I don't take any woven wire because its a tire killer for anything less than loader tires. If I had a magnet I would have no problem with the wire. I've seen guys park a trailer under the magnet belt so that they don't have to handle the metal twice. Just let the trailer fill and then go dump it at the recycler. Below are some pictures showing delivery day of the PT330. Computer control systems At this location we handled the out put with a skid steer (we didn't go very far with it and didn't have but maybe a thousand yards to crush here).

  32. #32DGODGR2021-09-08 13:40

    Edit for last post: I meant 475 yards (715 tons as our material is about 1.5 tpy). As I think about it there was something else that you posted (CM) that I think may be incorrect, and have a significant impact on your cost and profit margin calculations. Here is what I'm talking about: Since nobody else has commented on it I worry that I may be wrong about this but will throw it out there anyway. In my experience 1 yard of my feed material will become about 1.2 yards after crushing. Sometimes even more swell than that. I am using mostly shot rock/hammer fodder but I would think that the same thing would apply to concrete, etc. I know that when I initially started looking into this I thought that it would be a reduction as well. If you think about it though, 1 yard of insitue bedrock will be about 1.5 to 2 times that once disturbed (blasted or hammered). That's because there are now gaps between each particle as before there were none (theoretically anyway). If you then take those somewhat large particles and then reduce the size them again (i.e. run them through a crusher) there will even be more particles to have gaps between. This is the primary reason that weight is the measuring standard that is primarily used at quarries (Probably goes without saying). If you look at it another way 1 yard of bedrock might be 1.5 tons in weight. When you crush it it won't be less weight but it will be more yards (again, because of the gaps). If there were a reduction some of the material would have to disappear and we don't loose that much in dust floating off of the crusher. If we apply that to your quote above your 6 to 8 loads of import should become (at least) 7 to 10 loads of material that you would sell. It would jump up to 9 to 12 loads of your material expands 1.5 times. The amount of swell will depend upon how much you reduce the feed material. This is the world I work in as we don't use scales. Everything is by the yard. If you stick with weight then tons in = tons out in a perfect world. If your feed material deliveries are light (due to the voids -as you put it) then I still think that you might be over estimating how light they will be but I always err on the side of caution when vetting things out as well.

  33. #33CM19952021-09-08 15:05

    I was referring to the demo/disposal aspect of concrete not virgin rock. As you know when you load chunks of concrete in a truck there are voids that creates volume and it's not the same tonnage as say a load of sand. What I'm looking at is how much it cost per tri-axle load of demo concrete to dispose off site compared to what it costs to crush the same load on site and re-use the material on-site. A good demo of the machine at our dump with a couple of 100 tons of concrete to crush could tighten those numbers up. No desire to crush natural stone unless it's a byproduct of a construction project as it gets into mining both at the state environmental level and MSHA. Natural rock from a construction site is waste that falls under recycling as far as the state enviro rules go. Totally get the virgin rock comparison just not what I'm looking at this time.

  34. #34CM19952021-09-08 19:24

    Great real time info DG! Thanks for sharing! Screen Machine is SMI and not a Terex brand. Powerscreen is Terex and I'm not letting the fact it's under the Terex umbrella disqualify it as Powerscreen seems to have a very good name worldwide in the crushing screening business. Not a fan of CoolAid however after O&O'ing equipment for 20 years the support after the sale is more important than purchase price. With that being said I don't know where our Powerscreen dealer is actually located. The Alabama dealer is Powerscreen Crushing and Screening LLC out of KY as far as I can tell. https://powerscreensales.com/ On the PS website dealer locater it shows a physical location about 1.5-2 hours south of me. The pin on the Google map is in a field in Central AL. The PS PT330 is packed with features geared towards concrete/C&D crushing. LC is that the same crushing you guys are running? It has a Cat engine with a non-Tier 4 Deere option on the brochure. Going to have to look into the jaw settings on any machine in addition to SMI because I'll need a 3" minus product in order to screen 3 products - #24's, #57's and #8910's. Those 3 sizes are the most popular in my area. #24's for construction entrances and bridging soft soils, #57's for everything from under slab drainage to pipe bedding and #8910's for trench backfill in improved areas. A 3 product screen is a must for producing a usable product and I also see a stand alone screening service without the crusher. Thought about the Rebel Crusher but I think it's just too small. I know it's not the same part of the industry however a partner and I started a hook-lift business in the mid 2000's and started off with a single axle and 10-15CY bins. Met with one of the dumpster fabricators in South Carolina and they told us you'll soon be back to buy 20's and 30's because that's where the money is at. It wasn't a year later we purchased a Dual Lift truck and a bunch of 20's and 30's because that's where the money is at for that aspect of the roll off business. There is a thread somewhere in the bowels of HEF on that truck. At this point I think the money is on a larger crusher that's still easy to transport, I might be wrong though. Not really worried about transport for anything less than or around 100,000 LB as we utilize lowboy services that have the trailers and permits to move them. Mob cost is a line item on a proposal or bid. There is a lot of information to roll in and put together when looking at a $1M investment for a crusher and a screen, I thank Currently have 2 hoes one with the Cat field trial QC which would make swapping from bucket to hammer ideal for recycle work. Also have 2 - 279D's for utility work and would probably buy a used wheel loader as the only support machine we don't already own. We could use our 953C in the beginning until the venture got off the ground, not ideal but not a new loan either.

  35. #35DGODGR2021-09-08 22:42

    As it relates to the bedrock example I used that to make my point because I think it will apply to any material being crushed -including concrete. I do understand why you did your calculations the way you did and will emphasize (again) that I always prefer to err on the side of caution (as you might also) when calculating a "new" venture with a rather large buy-in. I'm sure this isn't your first foray into this type of process but I felt it might be worth mentioning. The SMI JHT2650 that I was quoted is a 100k# machine. I would bet that SMI has a smaller crusher that will likely meet your size requirements. I haven't looked at them lately but the one that I was quoted was a manual adjustment for the closed side of the jaw, not hydraulic. As with your Cat machines, in fact even more so, the support (the ability to keep the crusher running) will be paramount, in my opinion, when choosing the brand. That said the hydraulic jaw setting, the ability to "burp' the jaw, and the things that LC mentioned as feature for his crusher can be real time savers and actually be more safe for the help. Speaking of such, LC please tell us more about how the hydraulic and rebar deflectors work. You might be able to run a much less expensive 2 deck (like a Reed Screen-All) to get started. Even if you have to re-run some of your material after changing screens. Not ideal but might help with initial buy-in. This is part of why I didn't go that route. Even though it is smaller it is still too big to work on most of my sites. Furthermore I feel as though the reason that most track mounts are so heavy is because they need to build things very beefy to stand up to the riggers of hard rock crushing. That said, the demands of recycling concrete are much less (3,500 psi material vs 20,000 psi plus), and it comes with a 2 or 3 deck screen already in place. If I was only looking to recycle I would give them a closer look. The one thing that you can't get away from is the reduced production of the smaller jaw (or impactor if you bought one like that -they come in both). That said it looks like you could support one of those with a mini and a skid if you so chose to (=much reduced overhead so one wouldn't necessarily need the higher production to make money at it). To further be devil's advocate, if you are looking at Federal work it might behoove you to stick with something that would crush rock. There can be a lot of remote quarry work for the Feds if you are a (as you said) DFBE, especially if you are Hub Zone as well. Food for thought. Are you demoing one of those "oil-quik" couplers (don't require getting out and connecting hydraulic hoses)? That would be very nice to be able switch between my hammer, ho-pac, crusher bucket, etc. without having to mess with the hoses. Not so sure it's worth the price of admission though. I'd love to hear more about it. Agreed about the additional iron purchase. WAY less than ideal for track undercarriage working on a rocky floor and especially if you are tramming the output material a fair distance....Not to mention the extremely poor ride quality if on a rocky floor. On the plus side you wouldn't have to worry about those pesky sharp edges, and (worry much less about) rebar, that your feed material might entail dealing with.

  36. #36CM19952021-09-09 13:14

    Actually the oil quick is a Cat field trial. Our rep from Cat has one in Missouri and Virginia in addition to the one we have. Posted about it my other thread - HeavyEquipmentForums So far it's worked fantastic. Depending on what Cat want's for it at the end of the trial we may buy it.

  37. #37DGODGR2021-09-09 21:32

    That's slick! I would prefer it if one could eliminate the hoses on the side of the hammer. It looks like the hydro interface sticks out the back of the coupler when using the bucket. Do you have to be concerned about dirt, or mud (thinking about the times I've had to bail muddy water from a tie-in hole or when something leaks when you don't want it to) or dust that might foul the coupling of the hydraulics? I would assume that one would also have to buy a special top cap (for each hydraulically powered attachment) as well. I sure would LOVE not having to get out and mess with 5-6' long 1" hoses when I mount/dismount the hammer. We use Stucchi couplers (for the hydraulics) and even those are often a source of problems for me. I just spent a couple grand on a new set of them (these are claimed to be specially made for hammers (high impulse/high vibration attachments) which means they cost more. If these don't hold up I'll probably just go back to screwing together JICs again (a hassle but reliable). I've been threatening that for a while now

  38. #38CM19952021-09-12 19:11

    Cat put a new " QC manifold" for lack of a better term on our hammer that mates up to the oil quick. We had concerns with mud and debris however we haven't had an issue but that may have more to do with professionals operating it. If you haven't swapped the bucket to hammer in a day or more we get out, check and wipe the fittings to make sure there is nothing there. If you're swapping in and out during the day you can roll the coupler up towards the cab and make sure it's clean. Local Cat house re-routed the hoses on the hammer as the hoses rubbed our thumb bracket when you rolled the hammer fully in to set the QC. Ha! I've got a set of Stucchi's for this machine I ordered right before Cat offered a field trial. Guess they're plan B now.

  39. #39CM19952021-09-12 19:20

    The more research I do the more I like the Powerscreen that LC is running. The PremiereTrack 330 jaw is packed with recycling focus features and it comes in around 77K lbs.

  40. #40Landclearer2021-09-12 20:31

    CM, we have been happy with ali of our Powerscreen stuff. They have great support and parts availability. One nice thing about Powerscreen is that is what they sell. Our Cat Dealer sells Metso or they used to, not sure. They could have cared less about them, same way with Peterson Pacific. I guess what I’m saying is a delayer that sells recycling stuff might focus more on that than a Cat Dealer.

  41. #41DGODGR2021-09-12 23:47

    I think that this is sage advice. LC please tell us more about how the hydraulic and rebar deflectors work.

  42. #42CM19952021-09-13 09:04

    Thought about that as well. Local dealer carries Peterson Pacific as well and from what I've heard the service and support is good. At this time I haven't met the dealer crusher specialist as I'm not ready to demo or buy at this time. I don't wear them out with endless questions and demo's unless I'm ready to buy. The Alabama dealer for Power Screen is located in KY. LC is your dealer Mid-Atlantic?

  43. #43Landclearer2021-09-13 18:21

    DGODGR, I might be by the crusher tomorrow and if I am I will try to get a few pics. As For the hydraulic release it had two giant cylinders and if you say have a one foot chunk of concrete and you don’t know it but it has an eight inch chunk of steel in it that is an uncrushable. The hydraulics will dump and take the pressure off the jaw and hopefully it will dump onto the belt. Fortunately we have never had to use it in that manor. I have used to clean out the jaw. There are two buttons on the control panel that allow you to open and close the jaw crushing what is in the jaw. The rebar deflector is basically a piece of steel that you can run straight up and down or position it at an angle under the jaw so as a piece of rebar falls it is already heading to the back of the machine instead of straight down. If the rebar is straight up and down a piece of concrete falls on top of it and then you have two narrow belts. One last comment. Our crusher is not hydraulic It runs off of belts and basically a flywheel. This is much more fuel efficient. I think on hydraulic crushers you also have to change your hyd oil pretty often. Don’t quote me on that though.

  44. #44Landclearer2021-09-13 18:23

    CM yes our dealer is Powerscreen Mid Atlantic. Our Cat Dealer used to have a mechanic that was the Peterson guy. Awesome mechanic. He could diagnose most stuff over the phone but then they moved him to a different division and they said any Cat mechanic could work on Peterson’s. Not true lol. Then they made the Cat salesman sell the grinders. Most of them don’t know what end to put the logs in. They also had Metso and I think they took it away from them. Kinda said what happened to our dealer. They used to be great.

  45. #45DGODGR2021-09-13 20:59

    That sounds like a feature of the hydraulically adjustable jaw opening. That would be great if you can upload some pictures! Thanks!! I would think that the more distance that there is between the bottom of the jaw, and the belt, the rebar would be less of an issue. The PT330 had a hydraulically driven flywheel, which ran a belt to the jaw.

  46. #46Landclearer2021-09-19 17:15

    DGODGR here are the pics of the release hydraulics and the rebar deflector. As you can see in the pic the piece if rebar that is crossed up in there. That is the beginning of a birds nest all you need is some wire lol. That will be taken out before we run.

  47. #47CM19952021-11-06 20:12

    Our first foray into the crushing world on a private school project with an SMI Compact 50TJ. HeavyEquipmentForums

  48. #48DGODGR2021-11-09 01:03

    I've had another Powerscreen PT330 on rent for about a month now. We took delivery of the unit when it had 90 hours on it. I pulled up to the crushing operation one day and noticed that the out put size had increased to size that I felt was too large for what I wanted to produce. Here she is with a mouthful of rock! Here is the what she did in a couple days.

  49. #49funwithfuel2021-11-09 06:40

    Is no one checking and setting CSS everyday? That should be part of daily start-up. Nice plant BTW.

  50. #50DGODGR2021-11-09 07:49

    Well, we are now. At 90 hours I figured it was very early in the life of the machine, and the jaw dies. This was confirmed by the PS salesman (who has many years of crushing experience prior to becoming a salesman). To further validate that this frequent of an inspection wasn't necessary for a machine with so few hours, I had previously rented an identical unit (but with only 60 hours at beginning of rental). We rented that crusher for (2) weeks. This was on the same job, with the same rock types, same feed size (as close to same as possible), crushing to the same size as well, and we had no issues with that unit. I occasionally looked down the crushing chamber to see if the dies showed any sort of signs of wear. One could hardly see any wear to the extent that one could see down the chamber. As most of you are probably aware, one can't quite see all of the dies surfaces from the top of the chamber (due to the arc of the dies). The closed side setting (referred to as CSS by FWF above) is what one needs to check. That's the part of the die surface that is obscured when looking down the chamber. To sum all of this anecdotal evidence up, funwithfuel is correct in what he implies in his question.....Check the CSS daily! Here is what the jaw die looked like at 120 hours (after we ran the machine for 30). Pretty weird looking isn't it? It almost looks like the die is made in layers. Here's what it looks like removed. I don't think that PS looked at the CSS after the machine came off rent from the previous renter either. They shipped a new die and made the repair without charging me. On the downside the machine was down for a week. The salesman also said that these units are shipped from the factory (when new) with the cheapest dies they can find (his words). Again, we did not have this issue previously so it makes me wonder if the previous renter was crushing down to 1.5" and maybe even loading with wet feed material that had a lot of dirt in it or something. I think it noteworthy to mention that the worn die is the static side of the chamber. The sales rep said that they normally go through (2) static dies for every (1) active die. I found that odd as my experience is usually the opposite of that. I'd be interested to hear what others have seen. Which side normally gets the most wear (active or static)?

  51. #51DGODGR2021-11-09 07:55

    Here is what the CSS of the chamber looks like with the new die in there. The left side is the active die and the right is the new static jaw. We have run the machine to 200 hours now (170 hours more than we had run the machine prior to die failure) and the unit is working well. We are now checking daily and are noticing wear, but not to that extreme.

  52. #52funwithfuel2021-11-09 14:06

    What are you crushing? High silica content? That wear is coming too fast. Do you have a loader pushing material to the hoe? To be efficient, that machine wants to choked like a dirty whore. That static die should've been flipped when the active one was replaced. If it's not choked with a full feeder box all day, the jaws will show that wear. The purpose of choke feeding is to promote rock on rock crushing vs jaws crushing rock. I'm very curious what you're crushing though. That looks rough.

  53. #53Jonas3022021-11-09 18:53

    Wow never seen anything like that

  54. #54DGODGR2021-11-09 20:29

    I don't think all that wear is from my job. Like I said before we had another PT 330 and it ran for 80 hours without the dies wearing out. The crusher has run about 70 hours since the die swap. I'll try to get a picture of the CS tomorrow. It was the static side that wore through, not the active. I didn't ask them but I don't think that they turned the active side when they installed the new static die. I think the lat photo confirms that. Limestone, a little sandstone, gneiss, granite, Ignacio quartzite, sometimes some schist. We have it all and yes many of those rock types are high silica content. It's funny that you mentioned the choke feeding. I took the guy that was initially feeding the jaw off of it and put my son on the feed. The first guy was letting the chamber run out and doing all sorts of weird things (in the way the he was feeding it) that I didn't like -including that he didn't have the unit level enough for my liking (feed hopper wasn't working right as it was a bit too "downhill" towards the chamber). The unit has an "auto-feed" feature for the hopper. All one has to do is keep the hopper full (being careful with feed material size) and the machine does the rest. If it senses excess pressure it will automatically slow down the feeder. This makes it easy to keep the chamber full. Once I put my son on it the loader could hardly keep pace with the out-put. We always feed with trackhoes. It seems to me that the hopper is just a bit on the short side to feed well with our 3 yard loader.

  55. #5563 caveman2021-11-10 04:57

    WOW! The extec jaw crusher we are running will not let you close the setting that far. We flip the jaws when the ridges are down about 60% other wise we get too much +3" stuff. The jaws wear even but what is strange is the top of moving jaw wears while the bottom of stationary jaw wears. Back to the main ? We run an extec inpact crusher for asphalt, a Mclusky cone crusher to make 1B and 2B stuff, but the jaw crusher is the work horse. They all have high maintenance cost but the jaw get more bang per buck$.

  56. #56funwithfuel2021-11-10 06:47

    Ok, so this machine has more of the automatic features than i had thought. The auto feed bed is nice to prevent bridging with large material. It can't compensate for smaller feed or running dry though. Sounds like you're already aware of the need for constant steady feed. How are you setting and confirming CSS? A simple trick an old timer showed me. He had a roll of tin foil by his machine. Every morning he would lightly ball up a few yards and run it through the jaw on its own. Then he'd measure what came off the belt. Sandvik suggests something similar, it has flat lead plugs on wire. You lower it down the jaw while running and see what it gets squished to. Good luck.

  57. #57DGODGR2021-11-10 08:06

    Interesting comment about your jaw die wear (Thanks for replying to the question). What size are you feeding and what are you reducing it to? I don't understand your question "Back to the main?"...What are you asking? I've heard about the foil trick but not the lead plugs (What are lead plugs and where does one get them?). We just adjust the CSS until we get the output size I think I want. In fact, most times we rent a mobile crusher, we set the feed size once and then don't usually have to adjust it for the remainder of the rental period. Like I said, we have never seen this much wear in so few hours before. We don't have any spec requirement. I am just making backfill and we can also use it as structural fill (like 3" ABC/Class 2). The geotech guys are fine with it at 6" minus. Another dirt contractor working in the same subdivision usually crushes to +/-4" minus (often times looks like 5 or 6" minus to me) but I prefer to go 3" minus. There is enough rock in it that it makes very "forgiving" fill material. It also makes plenty of fines. Even if I grizzly it prior to crushing or separate the fines with the side discharge on the crusher. Can you please elaborate on your first paragraph? I'm not sure why the crusher would have to compensate for smaller feed (In fact the crusher seems loves to chew up my hammer breakings over the shot rock. I usually prefer to run dry material instead of wet=less plugging -Maybe you meant "empty" when you said "dry"?).

  58. #58funwithfuel2021-11-10 08:14

    Yes, dry meaning empty. Sandvik makes the lead testers. They're used primarily in cones but work great in jaws as well. As far as compensating for smaller feed, just like you mentioned. Smaller feed slips through the Grizzlies onto the fines discharge. The slightly bigger stuff travels through the jaw usually on one pass, whereas the bigger slabs of shot tend to hang around a bit not run out the feeder pan so quick. If your feeder speed is set right, it'll take a lot off your backhoe. He can pace himself to the machine vs trying to keep up with ebb n flow.

  59. #59funwithfuel2021-11-10 08:17

    If you're crushing for product size, you gotta check settings daily. If you're burning through a lot of high silica like Canadian black granite, you'll be checking every couple hours

  60. #60John C.2021-11-10 09:59

    I don't recall anyone around here doing much of any kind of spec through a jaw. Usually it is just a primary and then the stuff for spec is run through a secondary, usually a cone crusher. The jaw is the work horse and takes the beating turning large into small enough to go through something else.

  61. #61funwithfuel2021-11-10 10:35

    Agreed, 100% , but mobile jaw plants are usually used for recycling and sizing for reuse on highway projects (around me anyway) We used to use HSIs for this application but people were always complaining about dust. The jaw is a little more dust friendly

  62. #6263 caveman2021-11-10 18:27

    The main? The thread " Best mobile crusher for recycling concrete"

  63. #63funwithfuel2021-11-10 18:33

    Soooo... your opinion? McKlusky or Extech. Those are the 2 dogs you got, which are ya betting on? Everyone knows I'm KPI/JCI all the way although I'm warming up to the powerscreen and kleeman lines

  64. #6463 caveman2021-11-10 18:52

    What we do is "recycle" concrete. We feed in 12" minus (thick) and screen 3" (top screen) and 2A bottom screen. The stuff that goes over the 3" screen goes into cone crusher and is screened 1B and 2B and fines are sold cheap (just haven't found good market for them). Run two magnets that discharge into 30 yard containers (for storage and trucking). On commercial jobs it's used for construction entrance and temp. road but geotec guys don't want to touch it. The residential contractors use it all over the site.

  65. #6563 caveman2021-11-10 19:18

    IMHO, both are well built but... nether have good field service response time but both have good phone technical support. The key to success for both again IMHO is good operators and maintenance people that pay close attention. When thing go wrong it gets expensive fast. I guess if you held a gun to my head..... the extec will take more abuse.

  66. #66Bill P. Adam2021-11-16 05:51

    We use 2 impactors here 2016 powerscreen trackpactor 320 and a 2018 sandvick QI341 impactor and the sandvick impactor in concrete is less expensive in maintenance and by far ! dont forget to take the under feeder pan to protect discharge belt but in asphalt recycling , the powerscreen is a monster . ( the 2 crusher run CAT C9 acert engine stock 350hp but had a ECM horsepower upgrade to 425hp )