Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Best newbie jobs?

GAMstunts · 2018-06-27 22:31

I'm new to operating, i have only ran equipment on my 4acre property. I recently moved back to PA frm SC and am building a house. my father has a mini excavator and a skidsteer that I love operating. We have done all the excavation work (dug footer, drains, and grading). I want to make a career out of it and was wondering what options i have. Im in my early 40's and want to stop installing tile and remodeling houses. I considered going to operating school, but the build has drained my bank account.

Replies10
  1. #1GAMstunts2018-06-27 22:38
  2. #2AzIron2018-06-27 23:28

    Operating school for the most part is over rated the only good ones I know of are union backed If you have basic skills and can be more productive than destructive you could have a job around here tomorrow with a lot of companies Problem I have seen with most older guys is they wont take the job that pays according to there skill level

  3. #3Vetech632018-06-28 06:40

    All construction companies look for someone to run equipment at the cheapest rate possible. You wont make a lot, but you will get some experience.

  4. #4GAMstunts2018-06-28 07:33

    Thanks for the replies, A friend of mine referred me to a company and the owner asked what I wanted to make, i told him $15-18 to start. For what im used to making,that's pretty low wage. I guess i hope i went low enough, haha. It seems every company wants 3-5yrs experience so at this point im not going to stick my nose up at anything, as long as im getting seat time.

  5. #5AzIron2018-06-28 09:07

    In today's market everyone who has even 6 months worth of experience can get hired

  6. #6GAMstunts2018-06-28 18:04

    That sounds promising, im probably going to start with the first company to hire me, even tho that sounds desperate haha. I've been out of work since April, been working on my house/property every day, so im actually excited to start going to a real job and getting a paycheck

  7. #7GAMstunts2018-07-05 22:10

    I cold called a local excavation co today. Took a resume and got to talk to the owner, I think imade an ok impression even tho i have no real experience. He said if i had experience he would probably hire me right away. Also said he wouldn’t have looked at me any different if i had gone to heavy equipment school. Makes me think i might be wasting $$ on it if I decide to go?

  8. #8GAMstunts2018-07-05 22:13

    Also got a meeting with the owner of another company tomorrow, a referral from a friend got me the intro. Its a little further from my house but at this point im not turning anything down as long as their willing to train me to operate

  9. #9GAMstunts2018-07-07 22:31

    You got the cheapest rate part right, haha. I took a job for my minimum, but I will get some good seat time. He said he gives raises quickly, we will see.

  10. #10AzIron2018-07-07 22:33

    Hope it works out for you post pics