Looks like my 135 has a track problem on one side. The center is bowing out, I think it has torn inside the rubber and it obviously is on it's last legs. The machine has 1200 hours on it, and has been worked in some rough areas. Where I'm at now on the side of a mtn., it is running on side hill constantly and driving over stumps that were improperly cut by the moron who was in there cutting tree's. Either way, I either will go with rubber again, or maybe price steel with rubber pads. Out of curiosity, anybody know of any used track dealers who would have steel tracks laying about? Thanks.
Atgreene - if you want to go back with rubber tracks the cheapest place I found was Solideal - locally. It was about a grand less than OEM for a T250 and they also had mini-ex tracks. As far as metal tracks for a mini, I don't know of any places. I wonder if you swap from metal to rubber tracks on a mini you have to replace the sprockets, rollers and idler?:beatsme
Look at mclaren tracks, the hybrid tracks realy rock on a mini. they will last 3000 hrs or more. And steel tracks are much more stable. minimax
I've emailed McLaren and asked for a quote for both rubber or the steel with rubber pads. I really like the looks of the hybrid steel with rubber. As far as compatability, Takeuchi uses the same track whether using steel or rubber. I'll check solideal as well.
Those hybrid tracks are pretty sweet. On their website it says they also make these for MTL's although I couldn't find the specs on them. Let us know about the price difference.
When I needed tracks for my pc-75 I checked into the McLaren hybrid tracks. They were very expensive! Also, on my machine, the rubber tracks required inner flange rollers, and the steel required outer flange rollers. Idler and sprocket were the same. I stuck with the rubber. The best price I could find was from Ward Equipment, they always have listings on e-bay. They were hundreds of $'s cheaper than anyone. I really liked the hybrids, just could'nt afford them.
I payed $3400 dollors for a set to go on a 35 size deere and they used all the same sprockets, rollers and idlers. minimax
Alan afterseeing the video on them they look like the best of both worlds steel undercarrige with replacable rubber tops. the onlt thing is the $$$ they probably will not be cheap but if you can get 2-3 times the wear out of the steel and rubber tops then it probably is worth it.
Thats what I'm thinking. I know the rubber is going to be 1800 or so. I really don't want to do this on a regular basis, and prefer steel anyway. We'll see. I'll let you know when they get back to me.
We have rubber on our 27 ZTS JD. They arent too bad, but I would strongly consider steel when it is time to update them. The minis I have run with steel seem to get around better off the beaten path with steel tracks, and thats where we spend most of our time. The rubber isnt really any better on lawns either, and the mini isnt too rough on the pavement so steel seems to me like a better plan.
mclaren i think you should buy the hybrid steel with rubber
I used to have rubber on my minis, my last machine I tried steel, I will never go back to rubber again. I just ordered a new komatsu PC27 with steel tracks and rubber pads. Steel rocks! And as an added bonus, they sound neato and you can pretend you're driving a big machine. I might even put steel tracks on my T-300 when its tracks fall in half this summer.
If you do let us know how they work. I've got a T250 and would like to go with steel. It'll be awhile since the rubber tracks are at 80%.
Will do, I was talking about it with my smart excavator part builder, hydraulic attachment guy...he said its definitely doable, there might be a bit of machining involved to the idlers, but I think he said a 75 sized excavator track would fit the drive sprocket. I just dont feel like spending $4000 or so on another pair of crappy rubber tracks that i have to baby to get any life out of.
I'm with ya on that! Thanks for the info.
Here goes: Thus far I've got prices for the following: Takeuchi rubber: $ 1300 + shipping All steel : $ 1600 + shipping Prowler rubber $ 1071 + $ 100 freight McLeran rubber: $ 1700? with shipping ( I might have this wrong) Hybrid steel w/ rubber pad $ 4217 with shipping And a company that didn't leave their name, only the price and a phone # on my machine: Rubber: $ 1900 + $ 217 in shipping Anybody know anything about Prowler? My former Takeuchi salesman knows of a used set of steel as well for a 135, and is looking into it for me. I've got a company in Scarborough Me that does aftermarket tracks, chains, idlers etc... that my father mentioned to me. I'll try them tomorrow. We'll see. There's quite a wide range in price, say nothing of shipping. The McLeran salesman kinda pmo as he wouldn't email me the info, only fax it. They are pushy, anyways, so I'm not too keen on them.
atgreene, I had my hybrid tracks shipped to are local yellow freight hub and it save me over $700 then having them shipped to my house only 40 miles from my house!! minimax
If those used steel tracks have hole in the track pads you can buy the rubber pads from mclaren without the tracks. pads are about $16 each. minimax
That hybrid seams just a little far out there I mean you could get t-3 brand new of the other and have new vs one that might last what they say.
i just bought a set of rubber tracks for our hitachi last month from a place out of atlanta, ga, called Rubber Tracks USA. they had a very good price plus were very helpful answering all the questions i had. not pushy at all on tryin to sell you on them. so far i'm happy with the tracks.
The used tracks are $2000.00 Had 1000 hours when taken off, supposedly they are in great shape, I'm going to call the guy tonight to take a look, but they seem a little steep for used.
Rubber tracks I put Prowler rubber tracks on my D20 Kumatso and the pushing power compared to the Bridgestones that came on it is unreal. In the Georgia clay I'd spin at half throttle with the Bridgestones but with the Prowlers at 3/4 throttle I'm starting to stall GREAT pushing traction. :cool2 The replacement Bridgestones were $4600 each and the Prowlers were $6500 for the pair shipping included. I went with the Prowler 'cause I couldn't find anything else and the Bridgestones were too pricey.
Brianls, how do you suppose they would do in rock? That seems to be my main problem. 5 of the cross bars are now broken and pulled out of the rubber. Looks like I've only got a day or so left. The outside is fine, just the center crossbars. What seems to have happened is that a rocks get into the tracks on a regular basis. I hear them from time to time and will back-up if I catch the noise quick enough, but with a/c on and radio going, I'm sure some of them have gone around the idler with the track, breaking the crosbars. Today I got a price from Industrial Tractor Supply here in Maine for a set of steel tracks, steel pads. $2850.00 includes freight and tax! I'm going to order them on Monday, they said it takes 3-4 days, as they are coming from outside the US, Canada perhaps? Anyway, I'll let you guys know how they work out. I had been told that ITS was a good place to buy tracks and track supplies, we'll see.
Here's a pic.
That looks like it hurts. I'll take some pictures of the DEAD trakes I took off mine and some of the new ones. The Bridgestones had crossbars like yours but the Prowlers have a different style and use every tooth on the drive sprocket where the B/S only used everyother one. the style of the Prowler crossbar is also different. every crossbar has a wide side and a narrow side and they alternate so there is always a guide for the track bar for U/C to ride on instead of the bump-bump-bump of the gap at the flex point. The price of the metal tracks sounds good. I use mine around the yard and with a blacktop drive and light weight concrete the metal would rip it to pieces in no time.
New tracks After a bunch of research, I bought used tracks. The new steel tracks through Industrial Tractor came to $ 2767.00 includes shipping and tax. Incidently, they weigh 50 pounds more per track than Takeuchi OEM:beatsme . Takeuchi steel tracks tax and shipping were $ 3400.00 After looking at the used ones, he and I came to an agreement on price so I went with used. Saved a $1000.00 over new and got them today, no waiting, had they not been in excellant shape, I would have gone with the new steel ones. For what it's worth, if anyone needs steel tracks, Industrial Tractor is the place to go. I'll post the # in case anyone needs it.
Are you going to get the rubber pads? Or just rock the steel?
I'm going all steel. These aren't drilled for pads, and I think I can live with all steel, I hope ointhead .
If the steel becomes a hinderance, there is a company that makes pads that clip on one side and bolt on the other side with no need for the holes in the tracks. Apparantly the ones I saw were made in Kelowna, Canada.
That would be awesome. If you find any info, could you post it here? That would really make for a neat set-up. Thanks.
Here is a link http://www.tufpads.com/artliner-bls.cfm Don't know if they have them for mini's or not?? minimax
Ya thats the same sorta dealio... Here is there PDF and they show minis: http://www.tufpads.com/pdf/artliner.pdf
So where are the pic's of the new tracks??? minimax
I know this is an old thread but for anyone interested a family member of mine works for this company and they seem to have a pretty solid product http://solidealusa.com/products.asp?gid=3.2.1&dpid=3.1
I can attest that solideal has some great deals.
I need to stop working and spend some time here catching-up! The steel works good, but they tend to come off easy. Generally they come off the front idler when backing uphill. Of course, I've been on the side of a mountain for the last month, so that explains part of it. Also, I tend to do hard turns as I'm used to the rubber that doesn't mind such abuse. I have adjusted my methods and am having better luck as long as I remember that I'm on steel and I need to run the machine diferently. As for otherwise, definitely better. The rocks get driven down and grading is better. Travel is slow, as they ride rough on ledge, but I'm happy I swapped so far. I will get some pics tomorrow of the tracks.
Did you re set the idler sping for steel tracks ( one setting for steel and one for rubber) In 3500 hr's of running steel tracks on my minis I've only lose a track once. minimax
The only change Takeuchi told me to make was to move the bottom rolls down to the lower setting. How do I reset the idler spring? I've had them out and don't see anyway to change anything.
I agree with minimax the tracks should not be coming off that often. On my Kubota I had to change the spring pressure as well add a couple of track guides. Don't remember exactly how we changed the spring pressure but it wasn't hard, and there was a position for rubber tracks and one for steel. The only time I have lost a track was backing up on 5" rock and rolled it off the idler. I now don't backup very often in large rocks, as well as keep the tracks adjusted. Brian
Hi guys! I just joined the forum and I think it's a great place. :drinkup There is some really good staff. I also have Takeuchi 135 with the same problem like Atgreene -- failing rubber tracks that need to be replaced soon. I agree with you all that the steel tracks with rubber pads is a great solution that can save money. Atgreene , how are your steel tracks from ITS holding up? Do you still have the problem of them coming off? I'm waiting on ITS to come to send me their price and availability....I also called McLaren and their rep was very knowledgeable and a nice guy. The prices he gave me seem a big drop from what they've given you last year: $2,341 for the steel track only $3,291 for the Hybrid steel track with rubber pads - about $200 for shipping, but I can pick them up from their Atlanta warehouse Still a bit pricey but I think within a reach when you add all the benefits. The rep also mentioned that in 2008 they came with an improved rubber pads that supposedly will last even longer than their older ones. Their McLaren Hybid movie is awesome and think it a really great product. Also, does anyone know anything good or bad about McLaren? I may be becoming their fan, soon :usa Anyway, please let me know how your ITS tracks are holding....
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums!!:drinkup Thanks for joining us!
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums HillBoy! :drinkup Where bouts in Georgia are you from?
Steel track Was that price for a pair?
Yes, I believe both prices I got from McLaren are for pairs. :usa My Equipment is in Sylvania, Screven County, but I also have a house in Atlanta, just off Moreland Avenue.
It'll be nice to hear what Atgreene has to say about his ITS tracks after he had run them for few months.... Also if anyone knows something more about McLaren Hybrid tracks or their product quality in general. They look a very decent company, but it's better when I hear it from people who actually use their products...
I bought a set of those solid tires with the air cushion holes in them from McLaren for my 863 Bobcat. The sales folks were very helpful, the product performed as they advertised, they quoted me a total price w/ shipping over the phone and the products arrived in the time frame they told me. The air cushion tires did great on the 863. They had good tread life, the ride was comfortable and no flats. I don't have any experience with McLaren tracks. I can recommend a good track supplier - Solideal. I bought a set of wide tracks for my T250 over a year ago and put several hundred hours on them and they still look new. My 334D mini-hoe broke a track last week, I wasn't too upset they had lasted my 6 years. I called Bobcat and they quote me $1200 each - I told them I just wanted the tracks not the whole machine . I called Solideal and they quoted me $785 each. With my prior experience with Solideal, I new I couldn't go wrong with them and they had them at the Birmingham store the following morning. I would like to try the Mclaren hybrid mini-hoe tracks someday. When the mini-hoe busted last week, we were right in the middle of an interior slab demolition and I had to have some tracks.
How many hours did you get out of the Mclaren tires? I spoke with them this Winter and have been considering a set. I think they quoted me 2,600 for the set. I would need to get a few hours out of them to justify that kind of money.
I had a set of hybrids my deere 35c mini and loved them.And when I bought my 35d deere mini I ordered it with steel tracks and bought bolt on pads from Mclaren,they are the "new" pads and do hold up better than the old one's,but the old one's hold up petty good my old mini had 1600 hrs on the tracks(hybrid tracks) and had that much to go.Here is a pic of my mini. minimax
I forgot to say mclaren is a first a rate companey. minimax
I put around 700 hours on the tires and traded the 853 for a S250. They had about 45-50% tread life still left on them. They spent most of their life on asphalt running a smooth bucket and sweeper cleaning up. One thing to do with a set of those type tires is keep them rotated - front to back. They seem to wear a lot faster on the rear than the front. I paid $2500 for that set and will probably buy another. They are bullet proof.
Update! Thought I'd do an update on tracks. The used set I bought in '07 have finally completely worn out. Before you bash me about the wear on the undercarriage, I know, it's completely worn out. That was the plan. I made a concious decision to let the rolls and everything else wear out completely before I changed tracks. I figure if I'm buying new tracks I want everything new with them. My old rubber track that was not ruined 3 years ago I kept, so now I'm pressing it back into service and bought a new track from........ oh God...... CAT! ointhead Cat in Scarborough was $680.00 +- last fall when I went shopping. One of my steel tracks broke a link, my welder/mechanic welded a patch on it and it has held fine, but I bought the track and rolls JIC. Parts Alternatives in Bangor was 1/2 price of Tak on rolls, about 1/3 on sprockets. Huge price difference there. The machine has 2400 hours now, the first rubber tracks lasted 1200 hours, the used steel got me another 1200. The entire undercarriage needs to be replaced, but I'm only doing one side with all new, the other side will get done in a month or so when the $$ starts coming in from spring work. No snow this winter, so $$ is tight. A couple of the rolls were worn so bad they split in two. Here's the pics thus far. I'm doing the full spring service on it like I do every year, so oils are being changed, fluids, adjustments, steam the radiator etc... etc.... Should be done in a couple days.