Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Best “short description” for under my companies logo..

Stroker · 2005-11-02 19:23

Since I will be offering a broad range of services, and I am located in central NC. My business will be called Tarheel Services . But I need a short description underneath the logo for my business cards and truck lettering. Example: No Name Company Grading and Hauling ​ My first pieces of equipment will be a single axle dump truck, Kubota L48 TLB, and possibly a skid steer. I will be targeting debris removal both construction and natural debris. I will also offer backhoe services (or excavating) , some clearing, bush hogging, I suppose you could also include light grading. ect.. The basic stuff I suppose for a one man operation in the begining. Im still open for suggestions if there are any niches you beleive I should aggressivly target. What words would you use to describe it so I don't appear to only do one or two things, but people also get the idea that Im pretty versatile without having a huge list to read?

Replies18
  1. #1Bob Horrell2005-11-02 21:26

    I had same dilema and chose "Dirt Work Services". It's broad enough not to limit any future additions I may want to make to what I offer.

  2. #2Dwan Hall2005-11-02 22:06

    "Tarheel Services" sounds like you do roof repair or maybe blacktop work. I think you have the right idea for the second line. My logo showes what I did to start 22 years ago now you couldn't put it all on 1 page. possable, Lot Clearing and Hauling

  3. #3PSDF3502005-11-02 22:50

    Dwan I think living in the Tarhell state it is fits.

  4. #4Stroker2005-11-02 23:20

    LOL.. I can assure you that the word Tarheel around here will not automaticly be confused with roofing or blacktop. One of North Carolina's nicknames is the Tarheel state, and ofcourse everybody knows the UNC Tarheels. When searching my secretary of states website for names. Of all the potential names I had thought of to put in front of "services", Tarheel amazingly was the only one without a single use. But for around here its probably the easiest to remember. So I feel very lucky....

  5. #5Cat4202005-11-02 23:35

    Just be sure that using the name "Tarheel" will not cause some trademark/copyright troubles. That could be part of the reason that no one has used it.

  6. #6Stroker2005-11-02 23:41

    The word "Tarheel" is widely used. It just hasn't been used in conjunction with the word "services".. But otherwise, you name it, it already exists.. Tarheel Auto Repair, Tarheel Electrical, Tarheel Pest Control, ect...

  7. #7Dwan Hall2005-11-03 02:29

    Stroker, Sorry I did not put the two together. I am not a big sports fan and living this far away it has been a while sence I have heard the name used. In your case it is a good choice for a name. Easy to remember, coman word around the house, and fits the area. Dwan

  8. #8salesrep2005-11-03 17:44

    I do understand the tarheel name. I wonder however if it is too generic and not unique enough to stand out. Your logo,name and byline need to be something that will be remembered and seperate yourself from others.

  9. #9CascadeScaper2005-11-04 00:46

    I agree, I don't think Tarheel makes you stand out enough. Like you say, the name is widely used, why would you want to sound like everyone else? As far as under the business name, I would go with something fairly broad, you never know what you're going to get yourself into. Something like: No Name Company ​ Debris Cleanup - Grading - Compact Excavation​ Go look in the yellow pages, 80% of the ads in there sound STUPID. I'm sure whatever you chose will be miles ahead of the competition. I remember browsing through the landscaping contractors section at home. One ad was something like this: No Name Company​ Lawn Mowing - Weeds Pulled - Sprinklers - Trees - Bark - Walls - Patios​ Makes you kind of wonder how they made it into business :eek2

  10. #10Stroker2005-11-04 09:59

    I can see all of your points. But I decided this name after alot of consideration. Tarheel is widely used in this state, BUT I don't feel overused. Especialy not in this type of industry. The popular thing around here it seems for construction/grading is ether the owners initials or last name. In that respect, I feel Tarheel will actualy stand out alot. I didn't use my last name because nobody would be able to spell it if they were ever looking me up in the phone book and my initials GRH are suprisingly already being used for 3 companies according to the secretary of states website. Besides, Im kinda late to be changing now. Business license, insurance, bank account, leasing documents all say Tarheel Services. I also already bought the domain TarheelServices.com

  11. #11salesrep2005-11-04 11:26

    Stroker, great it looks like your Ducks are lined up. So back to your original query. We need a short, crisp, definitive description of your bus. Maybe something like. TarHeel Services "When you want the job done right" or "when you want the job finished" * clearing *bbb * debri removal *aaaa * * * *aaaa

  12. #12Stroker2005-11-04 19:44

    Salesrep, not really looking for a slogan, just a very short description. Here are my ideas so far. Tarheel Services Debris Removal-Backhoe-SiteWork or Tarheel Services Debris Removal-Excavation-Grading ​ I kinda shy away from the word "Grading" because that usually implies big equipment like dozers, graders, large excavators, ect... Is that really a justified thought?

  13. #13xkvator2005-11-05 00:07

    I'd put in EXCAVATING along with, but not just BACKHOE in case you do get a hilift/dozer down the road.

  14. #14Stroker2005-11-05 00:40

    This is true... Now that I think about it, the word backhoe does sound a little less professional than excavating. Even though all I will have starting out is a backhoe..lol So right now, current first choice is "Debris Removal - Excavating - Site Work" I think part of me is trying not to appear more than I am. I guess part of it is almost a guilty feeling. Somebody thinks they are calling a big time excavating contractor when all they are really getting is a guy with a dump truck, a backhoe, and maybe a skid steer.

  15. #15digger242j2005-11-05 04:12

    I think I'd put debris removal at the end, rather than the beginning. That may be your area of concentration as you start out, but once you get a little more invested in equipment you're going to want to keep it working, while the dumptruck becomes more of a supporting player.

  16. #16xkvator2005-11-05 08:48

    if you have a little time...do a search for "free business cards"...there are some out there that you can make a card up from many styles, changing lettering style, size of print, etc. & see how the final product looks. there's one really good one that has cards with backhoes, skids, cranes...i'll see if i can find it - i think i saved it. you might want to hilight your co. name and primary svs. and then put the other svs. under in smaller lettering ...TARHEEL SERVICES .......EXCAVATING debris removal - site work i found it... www.wheelerdesignworks.ecardbuilder.com click on glossy prints/ then background...construction.........

  17. #17xkvator2005-11-05 09:30

    I made one for you........ :bouncegri

  18. #18badranman2005-11-05 10:23

    I tried that site out. It's pretty cool how easy it is to design your own card. Most of the ones I've seen are too complicated. They also have a wide variety of equipment pics to choose from. Thanks.