Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Best single axle chassis

nedly05 ยท 2007-12-08 08:07

What do you guys think is the best single axle chassis? Freightliner M2 106 Peterbilt 335 International 4400 Sterling Acterra GMC 8500 Specs: 11 Fronts 23 Rears 300 HP Cat w/ exhaust brake 8LL trans 11 Foot heated box. Air Gate, power tarp bucket seats air controls between seats Pintle hook with air and electric to rear. What else?

Replies10
  1. #1cat3202007-12-08 09:35

    Here is a few more things rear view camera strobe lights,back up lights 2 way dump gate scuttle's asphalt apron maybe a lift axel if the wheel base is long enough. you got alot of the bigger stuff already If I had to pick i would go with the 335 Peterbuilt

  2. #2Orchard Ex2007-12-08 09:55

    Hmmm, wonder which one I like better? Actually I've heard good stuff about the Freightshaker, the Sterling looks good but I've never driven one to compare. The Binder 4400 drove OK, but if your making a dump they will try to steer you into a 7400. It's built tougher with a bigger radiator IIRC (so says the Binder dealer). If you go Pete 335 you won't get the C7 anymore, you'll get the Paccar branded Cummins. It had more torque for the same HP anyway, but I know there are lots of Cat fans.:beatsme You can now also get a 340 Pete with a little heavier spec and I think you can get a bigger engine in it. Take a look at the 8LL spec. It's a great tranny, but for no more torque than you'll put through it with 300hp it's gonna be overkill I think. Look at the straight 10 speeds, you'll get the same ratios with less weight/cost. Don't forget the differential lock.

  3. #3Cat4202007-12-08 11:24

    We borrowed an International 7400 a while back. It had the DT530 and the biggest thing that sticks in my mind is how great it was on fuel. The cab and visibility were good. The alignment was off, so it steered a little funny, but any good shop should fix that easily. It felt and looked very well built. International lists it as part of their "extreme duty" series and it looked like it was built heavier than a normal truck, but we didn't run it long enough to be able to judge how long it would last. It's definitely worth checking out though.

  4. #4Bob Horrell2007-12-08 12:41

    I would go with the 12K front instead of the 11K. I had an International 4900 with 12K front and 23K rear and a 10ft bed. When fully loaded, the front carried right at 12K. I don't know how the newer International 7400 would compare with the older 4900 but the older trucks were beasts - double frame with everything heavy duty. Ditto on what was said about 8LL vs 10 speed. The 10 speed will work just fine given you have the proper rear end ratio. The above truck had a 10 spd and I never suffered for lack of proper gear whether I was on the road or crawling into some ugly construction site.

  5. #5nedly052007-12-08 16:34

    Some interesting points. I am developing a soft spot for the M2 106, they are really a good looking truck, I want to research the MBE motors as well.I also am fond of the 335, they would be my top choices. I know that with a 10 spd and a 5:38 rear end you get a couple really low gears, and it will run right along on the top side. The binder dealer is only an hour away so that is a plus too. I would go with the 7400, more truck. I think probably 12 front and 22 or 22,500 lbs rears to keep it under 35K. Definitly would do a warning light package, but I would put that in myself. The DT 530's we have in the FD are not that great on fuel. I know that if we have a big fire where we pump and haul water for awhile we need the highway dept to come fuel us up before we are done. I would like to be able to run all day and not need to fuel up, but sometimes that doesnt happen.

  6. #6Bob Horrell2007-12-08 16:47

    If you get 5:38 gears you are going to want the OD version of the 10 speed. They come with standard gear ratio and overdrive gear ratio.

  7. #7nedly052007-12-08 17:30

    Good tip, thanks Bob!

  8. #8NateV2007-12-08 18:38

    Our single axle F-800 has the 8LL trans.

  9. #9thejdman042007-12-09 22:27

    This is just my opinion so take it for waht you will. Cab wise I would rate the pete as the best, next international next would be the gmc. The problem is finding a good competent gmc heavy dealer thats competent. IH dealers are fairly broad. I would really really really really really really really really shy away from the cat. Reviews on the 7.8 d max are good. The dt466 and 530 are great motors, reliable, proven and pretty cheap parts. In my opionion you dont need an 8ll. If you get a 300 horse + motor you dont need a double low trans. A good 9 10 spd has a decently low hole. For a medium duty truck you should have plenty of power. I have driven semis w/80k lbs w/300 horse. Also if your ordering I would have a 2" reciver welded to the back as well just so you could put a hitch and ball on there if you ever needed something small or a light tower etc towed to the site.

  10. #10nedly052007-12-10 05:34

    Anybody have any experience with the mercedes benz motors??