Where do you or have you found the lowest price for steel. Priced some out and it is costly. I am sure the small fabrication shops and small manufactures purchase steel for a lot less price than I have been able to get it. Wondering what source and type of suppliers you are using. I know there is a volume thing in pricing but you all do not do volume purchases.
If it's a small amount I usually buy from a local machine/fab shop for large amounts I direct to their supplier and it's delivered to the shop. For major jobs requiring forming like frame rail I go to theses guys. Plus their price is the best. Do some shopping. https://www.hwmetals.com/
Best to find a local distributor. I have bought some pieces off the scrap yards before for a decent price, I wasn't watching pennies though.
Unless things are alot diffrent there you can go to a supplyer and get it for about the same price a shop can. Steel is high you cant build something yourself and save much any more unless you can get it from a scrap yard. What are you needing or going to build?
Now's the time to buy scrap. Hardly worth hauling. I generally get what I need, by buying scrap piles at farm auctions...
Steel is very expensive right now You didnt say were in mn you are or what kind of steel you need Midway Iron in St cloud your will get the same price a small fab shop pays and I always check the seconds yard about 1/2 price Sometimes the larger fab shops have some pretty nice "scraps" for sale
thank you for your comments
Around here in sw ga and Florida I can’t buy anything from the scrap yard anymore. Used to be a place in Orlando called surplus steel they had very good prices. I usually go to distributors but as said steak is crazy high now. Just last week we bought 2 20’ sticks of 4” Chanel. It was over 300.00. I couldn’t believe it. I remember buying it for 20.00 a stick back in the day.