Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

best thing i ever did

watglen ยท 2015-05-13 13:21

Sweet old d6h pulling tile plow. We are all of 5' deep here and both tractors just idle along. Makes the job so easy and stress free.

Replies11
  1. #1Scrub Puller2015-05-13 13:35

    Yair . . . watglen I know nothing of tiling but a fair bit about winching and if you go back over my posts you will see I have been asking why tile plows aren't winched for years. So it does work hey? I envisioned the need for some sort of simple hydraulic sprag hanging off the back . . . basically another blade with a slot for the cable to go through. Good one mate and all the best with it. Cheers.

  2. #2Dickjr.2015-05-13 18:44

    I am curious about this , will the 6R pull the tile plow on its own? How do you keep it on grade ? Or is it flat enough that as long as the tile is in it forces it out the drain? I'd like to see this done with a dozer sometime in my life.

  3. #3lantraxco2015-05-13 19:35

    Scrub, Did we have a discussion about the Spyder Plow setups?

  4. #4Scrub Puller2015-05-13 21:10

    Yair . . . lantraxco Yes mate there was a while back. It just that it seems to me that watglen has gone with common standard and relatively inexpensive machines that can be used for other applications. I envisaged this system wayback in my early posts on the subject. As mentioned I am surprised he can manage with no sprag on the winch tractor and the last picture in your #4 post is a good example of a simple set up . . . I envisaged it fitted a second set of trunnions on the track frame, you could even run a little electric winch for lift. I wish watglen all the best with his endeavours and look forward to further pictures . . . maybe even detail as to how the cable attaches to the plow or maybe just to the tractor? Cheers.

  5. #5lantraxco2015-05-13 22:32

    I'm guessing the cable is just attached to the usual CAT front tow hook, and from rereading the OP's first post, I would also guess they're not actually winching, but have both machines in gear pulling?

  6. #6Scrub Puller2015-05-14 02:23

    Yair . . . lantraxco Gotcha mate, could well be . . . in which case it blows my high falutin notions right away. (Big grin) The forces involved in this caper may not be as high as I imagined, what sort of draw bar pull in pounds would be generated by those tractors in reasonable conditions I wonder? It would depend on the track width of course as well as condition but I would imagine 35,000 to 40,000 pounds times two is about the same pull of a good spragged winch on the second layer. I would still venture to say that a LGP to carry the plow and another with a winch and decent sprag hanging off the back would work in wet conditions where brute force and traction stops . . . there are two conflicting issues here. You need floatation but LGP is not that flash if you want to apply some force, if you are winching LGP doesn't matter As I say I am way out of my field of experience talking about tiling but I have spent days dug in with a D8 loading 627's with a winch. I had an extra length of 1 1/4" shackled onto the winchline and had two blokes and a Toyota on the other side pulling the rope back an hooking up the tow and taglines. I had another one working with me unhooking and attaching the tagline to take the cable back . . . them's were the days. Cheers.

  7. #7alco2015-05-14 02:38

    A place I used to work had a low setup, though it wasn't used often. They ran a pair of old TD25Cs and used the one to help pull the other. My understanding was that they didn't winch unless they had to, and only ran both in gear pulling most of the time.

  8. #8watglen2015-05-15 06:08

    If you look closely there is a GPS antenna mounted above the plow point. It steers the plow through the soil in the vertical so the pipe flows downhill everwhere, with no high or low spots. Accuracy is required to be +/- 15% of the pipe diameter, or +/-.6 inchs on 4" pipe. Typically, we can achieve better than that in normal running. Testing is done by the local government simply by installing a length of tile and then digging it up and surveying it. As far as pulling with two machines goes, its astonishing how much easier things seem to pull using the 2nd tractor. We spent the last 2 years pulling with the excavator. There is no comparison but I'm not sure why. The extra dozer is just idling in gear and providing whatever little bit of pull that gives. The plow operator uses his throttle to control forward speed and power. When you are under 4' deep you can just open her up and let her pull, but over 4' you want to control speed just to ensure nothing nasty happens, especially with 2 tractors. Together you are over 50 ton pulling. The only time you use the winch to pull is when neither tractor has the traction to pull through. Then getting the H dug down helps some, but normally the h slides back as the r moves ahead.

  9. #9hvy 1ton2015-05-15 17:01

    Looking good Watglen. Do you have the winch hooked to the plow or is it pulling on the tow hook up front?

  10. #10watglen2015-05-15 18:45

    We are pulling from the nose. Not ideal but itll have to do for now. Figuring out how to put a pull point on the plow is easier said than done.

  11. #11hvy 1ton2015-05-15 22:03

    I'm surprised the plow doesn't have a pull point. All the ag tractor mounted have one, but guess they know how easy it is to pull a tractor in two.