Hello, Im preparing to repack some cylinders on my IHI 55j excavator. Whats the best tool for removing these kinds of gland nuts? Will a hook spanner wrench be strong enough? Thanks, john
I've used a 36" pipe wrench with a cheater View attachment P1050901.jpg on my Cat a few times; just keep the jaws off the cylinder View attachment P1050906.jpg
Also you can get individual Jumbo Combination Wrenches at Northern tool up to 55mm and 2.5 inch with their Klutch line.
Most likely, especially if you peen the barrell. Here is a link that describes Willie59's ingeneous method. Peen Link
Do you mean combo wrench for the piston nut? thanks for the insight. I think I'll do that and a 36" pipe wrench. Rather not have to buy those hook wrenches if a pipe wrench will do.
You could drill holes for pins in the gland and use a conventional gland wrench. I cringe at the thought of using a pipe wrench. I saw a gland so badly damaged by a pipe wrench that the owner bought a used cylinder and replaced it.
4 foot pipe wrench some duct tape or a pvc pipe slit to protect the rod and heavy equipment to push on it as needed The hook spanner that fits those little slots won't even be big enough to make decent paper weight after you break it
dang the 36" pipe wrench doesnt even come close enough to fitting on the boom cylinder gland. I wonder if a chain wrench would get it done
What the pro's use, not cheap.... This is the lighter duty model.
If you can't get it loose with peening, a little heat, and the usual wrenches, then it's not that hard to make a wrench out of a section of pipe with keys welded to the inside to fit the notches, you can chain it to the base of the cylinder, and use an extension. Way more secure and stiff than any adjustable wrench.