clearing 40acre woods after logged out in Illinois to be farmed , what is the best and affordable stump shear or other attachment for trackhoe that I need , what's the cost?
How big are stumps ? How deep do they have to be cleared to?
The majority of trees are 2ft diameter and smaller a lot of small stuff also 10 inches, wanting to take out ,shear off complete root mass asi will lay field tile 32 inches deep after wards
You don't say what size machine and if you have a quick coupler. I would think a ripper tooth or a 12-18" trenching bucket would work best. Unless it's a large excavator, then I can't imagine it being bothered too much by 24" stumps with a 36" bucket....
I don't know exactly what I need ,I just know I don't want big holes every where, thinking a shear would be better than bucket along with less dirt in root wad , maybe not ???just bought this 320 acre farm that needs tender loving care and 40 acres of woods cleared. Just trying to put all the pieces together of what I need to start this project, will acquire a trackhoe most likely a Deere or cat as both dealers are close , what size, guessing 320 cat or 200 Deere should be big enough ???? Anyway want to get stump and root mass with least mess , if there is such a thing, all opinions welcome
If you want to plow it to a depth of 2.5 -3 feet you have dig out the stumps. You can then grind the stumps and then plow into the field or pile up and haul away.
I am in middle of project like your starting. I been using my 314 cat and i wouldnt want anything smaller. unless you have lots of time. I would think smaller bucket 24" or less so you can knock dirt off root ball easier. My opinion would be to remove as much roots as you can so it helps your ph in soils down the road. again this is just my personal experience with my clearing projects.
Here is a link to some other discussions about clearing for farm use -- some in remote parts of the world!! HeavyEquipmentForums
And some more HeavyEquipmentForums
I use a Bobcat 442 excavator with a thumb to remove stumps that size. It goes pretty fast. Get the stumps out of the ground then leave them sit a few days and come back and shake the dirt off and load into dump trucks to take to a burn pile. Then run a chisel through to pull up the rest of the roots and smooth out the holes. It takes some work but comes out nice.
A 20 ton excavator with a ripper and thumb should cream it. Pull the stumps and leave so the dirt can dry. The only to remove stumps without leaving a hole is to grind them.
What kind of rippers do you suggest and what are the cost
So when I grub out tree stumps do I want small bucket with teeth and thumb or ripper teeth only with thumb, seems I here conflicting choices, what you say , also does most people grub out stump and leave lay and for how long ? Before burning or hauling off
I am merely a lurker in SE Georgia, but have you considered hiring somebody to make a field out of your 40 acres?
A ripper is far easier to pull through root systems around stumps than any bucket there for faster with less mess. If you don't have the ability to build your own then there plenty of manufactures who sell them. A ripper shank off a D6 size machine is good.The cost of a ripper is unknown to me as I'm half a world away from you and 35deg celsius. If you don't have a thumb then a ripper on it's own is good to get the stumps out, the use a bucket or grab to move and stack them. My guess at this time of the year in your locality the ground will be wet so the dirt sticks more hence why I suggested leaving the dirt to dry before stacking. You need to get the stumps as clean as possible before burning plus the more dirt in a fire is less in the paddock.
No I am a full time farmer and love to operate equipment,looking forward to the challenge and enjoyment of new projects
I know basically nothing about logging. That being said, I do know it is alot easier to dig a little around that size tree and lay them down than it is to dig out the stumps later. Maybe that is not an option.
What bam said. With no trunk for leverage I think a 200 deere is the smallest size machine you will want. I think a 42" bucket and a hydraulic thumb will do everything you need. The size of rootball depends on the species. Around here, if those are elm its going to leave a big hole, but there are few roots beyond the ball. If those are hedge, the rootball is small, but big roots will extend for 40+ feet. Most everything else is somewhere inbetween.
Tones where you from? Overseas?
I have said this before on this forum, and others disagree. A wheel loader with a root rake works very well. A loader that takes a 5 yard bucket will easily just rake those stumps and root balls out of the ground.
Australia and a landclearing contractor so know a little about the comments I've made.
Started watching this guy for the sawmill videos. The ripper at his day job is interesting.
I am only about 50miles from OP and our dirt is different here than FL. That being said a loader with a rake will do nothing except rake loose roots. In our tighter clay soils either a dozer or excavator(preferred and easiest and quickest) is needed. And like a couple of other posters have said, nothing smaller than a 200 size machine. A narrow 24" bucket or a frost tooth works well for removing stumps and not having to fill large stump holes. If you are also removing trees and piling to burn then a 36-42" bucket with thumb is better to handle the trees. Do it all the time here.
I agree with everyone who has said a 200 sized machine. Anyway you look at this, its going to be a lot of work. What I would do is, use the excavator to clear the land, then either bring in a dozer with a brush rake, or get one for your excavator and go back over it again. If its going to be pasture, I would run a drag over it and plant grass. Wait 3 or so years to tile it. If that isn't an option, hire a crew to pick up small sticks after you run the brush rake across it. Run a disc or harrow through it, and repeat picking up the sticks.