Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Best Way to Compact without a Compactor?

Fordman ยท 2017-02-05 14:24

I was wanting to really pack down the dirt, before I poured my driveway. I have a 580B and 350B dozer. I thought driving over it with the backhoe would be best? What do you think?

Replies3
  1. #1CM19952017-02-05 14:26

    You can use either one. I would probably go with the 580 with a full bucket if you have clay type soils. The tires and weight will help compaction. If you have granular soils such as sand/gravel vibration works best.

  2. #2Scrub Puller2017-02-05 14:29

    Yair . . . The front wheels of the backhoe with a full bucket? Cheers *PS CM1995 answered while I was typing.

  3. #3Welder Dave2017-02-05 14:32

    It depends on the moisture in the soil too. The 350B dozer wouldn't do much. The other option is to rent a compactor. No sense pouring a driveway if it isn't compacted properly.