Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Best way to get a backhoe front loader bucket into a pickup truck.

emmett518 ยท 2021-08-22 13:53

I have to transport the front bucket from my backhoe down to my local machine shop. What's the safest way to get it into the back of my pickup? The bucket has a JRB quick coupler, so could I run a chain through the bottom holes and through the front loader arms? I also have heavy duty D rings welded inside the bucket. Thanks

Replies5
  1. #1skyking12021-08-22 14:06

    the D rings. two chains to the back bucket lift it up, then back the truck under it.

  2. #2CM19952021-08-22 14:35

    I would use a trailer. If you don't have one big enough Sunbelt and the other rental chains rent trailers. Too many things can go wrong ending up with a dented truck loading it into the bed IMO.

  3. #3Coytee2021-08-26 14:37

    Heh, I think I agree with this. Years ago, I was cleaning out some stuff. Wife's uncle next door, said I could use his (old and very beat up farm truck with NO tailgate) Truck was full of this & that.... I had found a old, rusted out (pretty small) trailer in the Kudzu. Probably 30+ years old. Figured it was a rust bucket so get rid of it too. Carried it to the truck and placed it on top of the pile. What I didn't realize is this was a VERY VERY heavy trailer. My brother in law used a truck axle on it type of trailer. When I set it down on top of the stuff.... the near side (sidewall) of the truck just slwoly bent outward at approximately 45 degree angle. oops. Realized I just bought either an old beat up truck or a new bed for it.....I walked up to his house to let him know I nearly flattened the truckbed BUT, I had already pulled the trailer back out. He just smiled and said "meh..... just use your backhoe and bend it back if you can" Did it and today, 15/20 years later, truck is still here on farm (he is not) and you'd never know I bent the sides, it went right back to where it belonged.

  4. #4CM19952021-08-26 19:12

    Did similar to a 2006 F350 pulling a gooseneck trailer. I was taking a T250 Bobcat to an independent mechanic. The driveway going to his shop had a sharp angle and a drop off at the county road. Well I got the gooseneck sideways on the bed pulling out of the driveway pulling on to the county road. Somehow it didn't bend the top of the bed down and crinkle it but caught the inside of the bed and pulled it out about 3/4-1", I think the tailgate kept it from going out more or I just stopped in time. Got back to the shop, unhooked the gooseneck to look at the carnage - not too bad. I took another Bobcat with forks on it with a 4x4 wrapped in carpet and slowly pushed the bed back into alignment with help. Couldn't tell I almost destroyed the bed.

  5. #5Welder Dave2021-08-28 10:19

    A skid steer bucket is about all I'd carry in a pick up. You wouldn't need a very big trailer for a TLB bucket as it's probably under 1000lbs.