I have done this move, but wanted to see what others do when they have to get over a trench to continue digging. I have a 580k with a very heavy rear end, so when using a 1 foot bucket, it sinks and sometimes can't make the move.
I approach the trench at a 45° angle, lower the front bucket and take most of the tractor weight off the front tires. Drive forward until the center of the machine is over the trench. Lower the outrigger close to the ground on the trench side of the tractor.Then use the backhoe to raise the rear of the machine and swing it over the center of the trench. If the ground is too soft that the backhoe bucket sinks when you try to raise the rear end get some cribbing ( a railroad tie cut in half works well). There may be other ways to do it but this has always worked for me
I pull parallel to the trench lower the front bucket, lower outriggers till about 6'' off the ground, use the backhoe to raise and pull the machine over the trench... to move forward i keep the front wheel parallel to the trench and push myself along with the backhoe... this way keeps the trench from caving in and helps to keep the trench clean...
This is a pretty common thing for me at work. Every cituation is different but I think both explanations already given are somewhat universal ways of doing things.