Just wanted to see what everyone is wearing. I have tried timberland pros because they looked tough but after 4 to 6 months they are trash and I don't want to buy a 150 dallor boot that doesn't last. So what are you guys using and how long have they lasted you?
White's Boots. ( www.whitesboots.com ) I still wear my first pair although they have been resoled many times and rebuilt once. The key to a good boot is good leather and take care of that leather, don't let the leather dry out. It's best, if you work in humid environments or your feet sweat bad, to have two pair of boots that you rotate, or use a boot dryer every night, and keep them greased ( www.obenaufs.com ) I have seen guys destroy a pair of whites in one season fighting wildland fires, on the contrary I handed down a pair of whites my grandfather bought in the early 70's to my son.
:iagree Expensive to start but lower cost per hour! They also will custom make for unusual foot shapes/sizes. I have been wearing them since 1980! Might be kind of a Northwest thing, but they ship anywhere. Caution!! I recommend putting them on, get them soaking wet, and wear until dry the first time as the break in period can be painful otherwise. Once broken in they are very comfortable.
I like Red Wing. http://www.redwingshoes.com/red-wing-shoe/2412-red-wing-shoes/2412-red-wing-mens-8-inch-boot-brown Expensive but in my mind worth every penny. NO BREAKIN REQUIRED These are the only boots I have found that feel like you have always worn them. I get the Goretex, insulated ones. All I wear year round. I can go through a set of cheap boots in about 6 months, my current pair of redwings are going on 4 years now. If you spend anytime on the floor crawling under machinery, buy some of that toe guard stuff, its like a 2 part epoxy that you smear on the toe of the boot.
X2 that's all I buy, I tried the cheap route but ended up costing me more in the long run
Wesco if you want to spend the money. I've personally not had great luck with whites. I just bought a pair of danner vicious, they're like a hiking boot with vibram soles and a comp toe. It's the best my feet have felt in years.
I've had the best life out of Redwings. Put gel insoles in them and swap in a fresh set every 6-8 months.
stay away from jungle boots, tread on boot locked onto grouser twisting my knee and throwing me to the ground.
The problem that I have is I have really wide feet and 90% of boots out there are to tight on the sides Been buying and wearing JB Goodhue for the last 6 years and have had no problems.
I'm goin on eight months on my current pair of red wings. They may make a year. NOTHING else lasts six months. For the last few. Years I've had good luck with red wings. The last three pairs have been falling apart in six months and they've given me a free pair once a year. Does it count if I only buy boots once a year. This current pair of red wings are ruining my pattern. 8 months and still going strong.
I use redwings only boot I have had that makes it a year but I can tell you the quality has went down I am going to try danners on my next pair
I second or third that the red wings have gone a little down hill. At least the last two pairs I bought were. I have been wearing wolverines with the durashock soles and loving them. Most comfortable sole I've ever had. I only pay around 120 a pair and get waterproof, insulated, and steel toe. They can go a around 8 or 9 months well, a year is max. Just my experience.
The only advice I can give is try to find something that has a slip resistant sole and is made in the USA. Some redwings are US made, plus some Chippewas and Danners. Redwings are popular in the shop around here. When I chose my last pair of boots I thought a little outside the box and decided to find out what aircraft carrier deck crew wear since they have an extreme environment that has many of the same hazards we do. This is what I ended up with http://www.bellevilleboot.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=12 . Made in the USA. They are extremely slip resistant, the sole shape is good IMHO for being on concrete for hours on end, and it has low profile tread that doesn't hold mud like the lug soles (and mud packed in your boots makes them very slippery). I also like that they have eyelets all the way to the top instead of hooks like most boots do. See if your company reimburses for a pair of boots every year- mine does. Helps take some of the sting out of a new pair of boots every year.
I only wear Chippewas, only the made in USA ones. 9" insulated loggers the pair I have now have just been relegated to work only and I've been wearing them every day for the last 3 years. Pricey but worth it IMHO
I have wore every possible brand out there over the years... the last 3 pair I have bought have been Danners that are made here in the USA. I have 2 pair I wear 1 keep the other in the truck in case the other gets wet or ???. there was no break in time on them. felt great right out of the box.. the wolverine durashocks killed my heals after long days on uneven surfaces, Redwngs quality has went to $**! that's all I wore for years then the sole fell off, they said defect gave me another pair, that pair started to come apart right at the toe box,(this is the same style boot I have wore for close to 10 years) took the boots back they said it was abuse wouldn't cover it.. I said fine just sell me another pair that pair started literally falling apart at the seems!!!! just said enough & bought the danners been glad I did ever since.. I had a pair of lacrosse that I really liked a lot also but couldn't find them anymore at the store. might have to get online looking.. as far as rubber boots for the mud,snow, I got a pair of muckboots that r great!!!
been wearing redwing loggers for almost 30 years. been a good boot but getting awful pricey. last time around i bought a pair of chippewa's, lace to toe loggers. most comfortable boot i have ever put my feet in, and half the price of the red wings. they are NOT made in usa but i'm impressed anyway. definitely gonna buy more!!
I have worn Redwings for years and got along good but the last pair which has lasted 2 years dont fit the best. I were Redwings because i have a narrow foot. IS THERE ANY OTHER BRAND OF BOOTS THAT COME IN NARROW SIZES??
Check out KEENS!
I'm going on two years with my wolverine Wellington boots I put the toe saver on it when new. These boots have been good to me
I have never been one to own expensive boots, however I bought a set of Wolverine Raiders ($150) about a month ago to replace my 4 pairs of Caterpillar boots that I have gone through since I was 19. They seem to be a lot sturdier than the garbage of the past, I'm so far satisfied.
I agree with 12v92. I have a pair of Chinese lace to toe Chippewas that are very comfortable. My only complaint is that I tore the stitching around the last two eyelets. I also have the american made Chippewa loggers but they are very warm in the summer and I'm not a big fan of Vibram Tacoma sole as it clogs full of mud. For all around use I've had great luck with Redwing #4420 loggers. Considering trying a pair of unlined Danners. I spend a lot of time with the paving crew these days and need something a bit cooler!
Back in the UK I swore by U.S. Cat boots... Can't remember what model, here in Canada I have been introduced to red wings. Best boots available. The insulated ones are ok down to 20below. Have a pair of Sorrel winter boots for colder than that.
West Coast Boots, Jobmaster model. http://www.wescoboots.com/wesco/home.asp
Had cat boots which I liked, had a pair of Carolina Loggers which I hated, now have Chippewa Super Loggers and love them. Comfortable, sturdy and safe!
Danners super rain forest fully leather USA hand made. Almost 500.00 a pair. Typically lasts me 2 years, I walk in wet concrete and weld in them. Full leather uppers, triple stiched, safety toes and wide widths available. Draw backs are cost and weight. They are gortex lined. I wish they made them in the logger height. Danner is now making a lot of their boots in china, if they start making this boot in China they can shove it cause I will not be wearing a China boot. Looking at the Wesco boot link, I might be ordering me a set of those, i dont see triple stiching or gortex? Danner does not recognize repeat customers and you would think after 5 pairs they might cut me a break and the made in China BS is just that.