Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bet I have a problem you never had

DPete ยท 2012-11-15 11:20

Somebody added + or - 1200 gallons to my bulk fuel trailer, my fuel man did not. Sounds like a good problem but really it's a PIA. There is a freeway project going on right past my shop by a high profile union contractor, we are non union. We all know in the past there has been some dirt dealt to non union contractors so with that in mind I sent a sample off to be analized ( results not back yet) Hopefully it comes back clean which would mean no harm was intended. My other thought is somebody is stealing fuel off their job and puttting it in my tank to get later or steal my whole trailer ( Freuhauf 5200 gal.) Need to set up a survailence cam. Everything on the trailer has locks, they either have a key or picked the lock as no damage was done to the locks. I've always been afraid of loosing fuel never even thought of gaining it.

Replies24
  1. #1ddigger2012-11-15 12:53

    Somebodys gonna be bummed when thier dilevery doesnt show but the bill does. I bet someone comes around asking for thier fuel back. If not I hope the results come back clean! Good luck!

  2. #2Graham12012-11-15 13:11

    Happened to me the other way round last year. Delivery driver put my delivery in someone elses tank. They were very accomodating when we got to the bottom of why my delivery hadn't arrived. Sent out a new delivery next day to me and ended up agreeing the other person could have the fuel for a third of the price. I didn't want it out of the other person's tank as I keep mine in good condition, but no idea what his is like and for that reason the fuel company didn't want it back either. I would consider changing your locks on your tank just in case. Nice early Christmas present.

  3. #3Greg2012-11-15 15:27

    Have had a couple of funny things here that way. First, ordered off road diesel for my storage tank at shop. They brought on road and billed me for on road. Called supplier told them what happened. They credited me the tax. You can imagine where the uncolored fuel ended up. Second two loads of washed stone showed up at a job I had going from a supplier I never use when nobody there. Called them, they wanted me to pay for it. Told them forget, I didn't order it. They dropped the whole thing.

  4. #4bill onthehill2012-11-15 15:35

    I would pull samples from different depths in the tank for analysis. Some things could be in there that don't mix with the diesel and could wreck injector systems. That is a lot of gallons, not like some jerk dumping 5 or 10 gallons in a machine.

  5. #5Hendrik2012-11-15 20:04

    That's a weird one, however if sabotage is the aim, I don't think you'd pour in 1200 g's of dirty fuel, which can be detected. Which got me thinking what would you use to sabotage Diesel fuel, well the answer to that is probably best not discussed in public, given that there are some out there that would wish harm on the equipment we use to earn money http://www.farnish.plus.com/amatterofscale/mirrors/omni/inttxt.htm Anyway I hope it all turns out to be an innocent error, perhaps someone sucked out X amount of fuel and put it down as Y amount but I don't know enough about how your system works.

  6. #6OzDozer2012-11-15 20:11

    Sure sounds like something weird is going on, and a surveillance cam would be a real good investment. Here in West Oz, we had bikie gang members stealing diesel from contractors machines parked up at night. With the many remote areas we have over a large State, it's a PIA to try and secure machines when work is finished for the day. Some contractors started leaving their machines empty, and bringing fuel with them just for the day. As soon as they did that, they found notes from the bikies on their machines, threatening to burn their equipment if they didn't leave fuel in them at night. So the police set up hidden surveillance cams and got some good info. The police nailed the fuel thieves in a small country town at 2:00AM. They had a traytop Landcruiser set up with a 1000 litre tank on the 'Cruiser, and towing a tandem trailer with another 2000 litre tank on that - so they could steal 3000 litres at a time. The tanks were covered with a frame with a custom-fit tarp over them, so they just looked like innocuous campers. They all got some jail time (not enough) and the fuel thefts dropped back to the regular filching of small amounts.

  7. #7shopguy2012-11-15 20:25

    It was me i will come get it thanks .

  8. #8blitz1382012-11-16 01:27

    Locks on a tank are typically not very efficient. I would bet that your tank has several openings that have 2" - 4" plugs in it, the lock is probably a screw on aluminum head with a fuel cap? Any of these can be opened with a large pair of channel locks or pipe wrench. I would check the your fittings to see any are loose. Locks on a fuel tank just keep the honest honest.

  9. #9alco2012-11-16 01:55

    I agree that it's best not discussed in public, but I do know one thing that will lock up a diesel so tight, you can't drive the pistons out of the block with a sledge hammer. I didn't believe the guy who told me about it, so he showed me on an old cracked Cummins we had laying around. He was right.

  10. #10CM19952012-11-16 07:14

    I agree and let's leave that topic alone. We don't want to aid and abet the vandals and other miscreants out there.:cool2

  11. #11DPete2012-11-16 11:37

    This is true about anything locked however if you find a cut lock at least you have some idea what's happening, obviously not always. I keep all our equipment caps locked if nothing else maybe it will keep kids from throwing dirt clods in the tanks. Locks in general are a pain to keep working in the dirt but I can't imagine just leaving everything unlocked, I know some do though. my $.02

  12. #12SVIPD2012-11-16 12:27

    I would definatly hit up Amazon for a security camera for insurance purposes but It does sound like a strange delima.

  13. #13DPete2012-11-20 16:59

    Test back negative, clean & clear, no action required, still don't know where it came from.

  14. #14CM19952012-11-20 18:03

    I guess Santa came early??:beatsme

  15. #15grandpa2012-11-20 18:22

    He never came to my place,,,, wanna help me out by sharing some of yours? Pleaz?

  16. #16CM19952012-11-20 18:52

    Shoot.... I can't even pay attention...:tong

  17. #17joispoi2012-11-21 05:17

    The end of the month is coming. It's possible the mystery will unfold when whoever delivered it tries to collect money from their intended customer. Or....somebody has been steeling fuel from you little by little over the years, was recently diagnosed with some horrible, unpronounceable, terminal illness and is trying to right all his wrongs before he kicks the bucket.

  18. #18JDOFMEMI2012-11-23 15:56

    Dan I have to say, that is a strange one. I wish someone would leave me some fuel. All I got was some K rat turds found on what WAS going to be a nice year ending project.

  19. #19Reel hip2012-12-01 20:00

    Funny

  20. #20Randy882012-12-01 22:07

    Forget the free fuel, figure out who the driver is and we want him genetically cloned, he gets fuel into a locked barrel, does it after hours or during hours unseen or undetected, manages to find the place to even put the fuel in the first place and didn't screw up and put gasoline in your diesel tanker, didn't whine while delivering the fuel about being overworked and underpaid and did it without even calling him, man you found the golden goose there, my guy can't achieve even one item on that list and I call him a dozen times before I even see my fuel, sometimes I even have to go to him to get it myself because I got tired of waiting for it to be delivered. You definately need surveylance cameras there, we all need to know who this guy is, not to prosecute him, but we want to hire him.

  21. #21DPete2012-12-02 10:11

    Pretty much narrowed it down to the neighbor farmer messing with my fuel, never get a straight answer but I think he took some out and then put it back. They are the arrogant type that think they own the planet, they also could get a key from a couple different sources. Not sure though

  22. #22D&GExcavating2012-12-03 13:28

    Wow, now that just makes me fuming mad. Luckily I'm in an area where this stuff doesn't happen. If it did, I tell you what, I'd like to catch those guys in the act.

  23. #23bae2162012-12-22 19:57

    Glad it was not those old mean union guys, so much for the appology

  24. #24Bob/Ont2012-12-22 20:06

    Just be careful someone doesn't try to say you are stealing the missing fuel. Better get the camera anyway. Later Bob